Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Hwy 12 in Utah between Torrey and Bryce -- amazing!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 12 in Utah between Torrey and Bryce -- amazing!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently took 12 south from Torrey, towing our small trailer. One of the most beautiful rides we've ever taken. Be sure to stop at all of the signed overlooks, especially if it is a nice clear day -- you can see for more than a hundred miles.

The infamous "hogback" was no big deal -- there were several pullouts available, and the drivers were going nice and slow.

My point, I guess, is that folks really should not miss this great road if at all possible -- it is worth the extra time that it takes. Yes, it is twisty and narrow. But it is not unsafe (except, I'm sure, in snowy weather).

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TY. Headed that way in two weeks.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't understand why some people are worried about sharp drop offs and twisty roads. My truck and TT have never jumped off the road into a ditch or cliff. Hiway 12 is a great drive. My wife says I look at maps to find the steepest, crookedest, crazy roads and plan my trips to hit them all.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Darklock

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of my favorite roads.

voodoo101

arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SingleTree NFS CG about 12 miles south of Torrey is a nice overnight on 12. Several years ago the brakes on my trailer picked that strip of road to short out on the southbound run. Yikes. Finally found the short inside the axle tube after much searching.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob, you are right that sharp drop-offs on narrow twisty roads are not "show stoppers," as long as you don't blow a tire or skid on black ice.

Sliding off the road into a ditch is not the same as sliding off the road and over a thousand foot cliff. To put it another way, the likelihood of the triggering event (the skid or whatever) is exactly the same in both cases, but the magnitude of the consequences may not be the same.

But really, Highway 12 is just not that tricky. My wife has a fear of heights and was not bothered a bit. She enjoyed the ride.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove that highway (emphasis on 'high') about 15 years ago. Stopped at the little ranger station near the top and he advised me on boondock sites up there. I wound up spending the rest of the afternoon and night less than 100 yards from the dropoff, and with a clear trail to the edge I of course walked and sat out there enjoying the view for quite a while.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The most spectacular drive the US.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've driven it a number of times, towing or not. The one comment is to let you diesel idle after that steep pull if you enter the viewpoint. Great drive.

Current news, we are in the area right now, boondocking in the NF. Hwy 12 starting at Bryce and for 18 miles (as per the sign) is totally ripped up down to the dirt. No real delay coming in to Bryce from the west, going beyond Bryce or coming east expect serious delays. We haven't driven much past BCNP so no personal experience there.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

morley

British Columbia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we went to Utah in 2013 we had heard about the hog back and how perilous it was. We drove over it going from Bryce to Torrey and enjoyed it immensely, beautiful scenery and not frightening at all. Glad that we could see it one of the highlites of the trip.

2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Hwy 12 in Utah between Torrey and Bryce -- amazing!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.