cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Route suggestions Fredricksburg, Va area to Memphis area

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Live in Northern Neck area of Va, hoping to tour west towards Memphis, then travel Mississippi River south towards Vicksburg then turn east - hope to visit Chattanooga area then towards Savannah, then back home. Atlanta not in the plans, but they can always be changed. Is there a 'best time of the year' for this trip? Any roads to avoid? We will do interstates, but prefer not to. We limit our travel to no more than 6 hours a day. We know the East Coast well (Savannah to home) but would appreciate Any suggestions on our 2006 32' MH with toad on best routes? We are history buffs, and not so interested in anything too physically demanding. Hope to tour for about a month. Thanks in advance for suggestions. We are Good Sam, Passport America and are clear to stay in military campgrounds along the way.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
4 REPLIES 4

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. They all are helpful.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
1860 miles your way, 1730 miles mine. The OP likes non interstate highway and if they are flexible it's an option. US-72/72A from Chattanooga to Memphis. And US-80 across from just east of Meridian MS to Macon Ga. Most of that is divided 4 lane, and mostly flat. The big plus is you stay far away from Nashville, Birmingham, and Atlanta.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not me. Try this. From Richmond I-64 to I-81 to I-40 t0 Memphis. Then I-55 south to Jackson Miss to I-20 West to Vicksburg. Coming back I-20 to Birmingham then I-59 to Chattanooga. Then I-75 back to I-40 back to I-81 then I-64. You pick out what to see along the way. Hard to avoid Atlanta if going to Savanna but I-20 isn't that bad through there early or late in the day

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd do Chattanooga on the way to Memphis. Then go east from Vicksburg thru Montgomery to Savannah.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD