Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Jastrong

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, I was really hoping to get some help with a decision from people that actually tow. The ones I'm familiar with that do g camping aren't the most approachable. Ok so my wife and I bought a 2016 ram 2500 with the 6.4. The plan was to get a camper as a number of her family has them and we would really like to do that with our young daughter. Last time we camped we had rented a TT that was about 7500 lbs iirc. The truck seemed to to fine with it. Think I got 11 mpg with it from Indiana to dale hollow and back. However we discovered that we'd probably rather look into a 5th wheel for various reasons partly we've been told they pull better. Anyway her cousin has the same year truck as us only with the Cummins that he pulls his big keystone Montana 5th wheel with. So out of curiosity I'm comparing stats because I was thinking of trading up but what I found is this. My truck with the 6.4 has (off the top of my head) trailering capacity of 12900lbs and payload of 3060 lbs and the diesel has a trailering capacity of about 17000lbs but a payload of only around 2200lbs. What I really need to figure out is is my 6.4 gas going to do ok with the 5th (we may go over to south Carolina to visit relatives and such at times) or is the Cummins going to do better. The payload concerns me because if I stay under that by the time I get a 5th ight enough to do well with it it won't be any bigger than the one the fastest would pull. But then our family member seems to be doing well with his. I don't know maybe one of you guys can help me out

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go with a 3500 SRW.

Jastrong

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had considered 3500 SRW but that's (as far as I can tell) be out of our price range at least for similar age a mileage

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip the 3/4-ton trucks if you're going diesel. The diesel drivetrain, though a joy to tow with, is heavy and really eats into the payload of a 3/4-ton truck. As suggested, go straight for a SRW 1-ton with the diesel if you do trade. Towing larger RVs - especially fifth wheels - it's all about payload.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Jastrong

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok thanks, appreciate the input guys. Had a feeling. I'm guessing the relative with the 2500 diesel is probably over. Think I'll start looking along those lines and maybe something will pop up[emoticon]

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A diesel costs you 800+ pounds of payload in a 3/4. However, buy or select the 5er first, then match a tow vehicle to it.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for a TT for now, make sure you like camping. One rental, may not be the best judge. I have never pulled a fith wheel but the TT when set ul properly are not that bad to pull at all. Maybe your experience was centered around the rental? You can always get something bigger later.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Jastrong

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

A diesel costs you 800+ pounds of payload in a 3/4. However, buy or select the 5er first, then match a tow vehicle to it.

I'm wondering if since mine has a higher payload if I shouldn't just keep it for now and get something say 10.5k lbs or less. We've done some shopping and seen models we liked that would fit.

Jastrong

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

I would look for a TT for now, make sure you like camping. One rental, may not be the best judge. I have never pulled a fith wheel but the TT when set ul properly are not that bad to pull at all. Maybe your experience was centered around the rental? You can always get something bigger later.

I'm considering renting some different sizes. From what I can tell the things that I wasn't so happy with with the TT i tried seem to be different with a 5er so that's why I've been kind of leaning in that direction

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island Lake

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/21 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are lighter trailers that should do fine.
For a fifth wheel, expect a bare minimum of 20% of the total weight to be pin weight. For a travel trailer expect about 12%.
Look at your trucks capabilities within those limits and then decide.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Help Ram 2500 6.4 gas vs diesel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.