cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need recommendation for a replacement inverter

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter in my 2002 Monaco Windsor is on the blink and I'm looking to replace it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a supplier of replacement inverters?
24 REPLIES 24

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Have the dealer show you how the fridge is connected when you pick it up.

This was a helpful tip. When I picked up the rig, I asked how the refrigerator and ice maker were plugged in. He showed me the outside removable vent cover for the refrigerator on the passenger side, and behind it, the two were plugged into different outlets. I said we don't do dry camping, so are not concerned about the refrigerator draining the batteries through the inverter. He said I could simply unplug both and swap their locations and I'd have the refrigerator plugged into the inverter. When I got it home, I did that. Took me 5 minutes. And that's because I work slow. So, thanks again for this suggestion.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have the dealer show you how the fridge is connected when you pick it up.

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce Brown wrote:
While I'd agree with the thought behind that it sure would be easy to take a look and find out.

I'm intrigued. "Easy" is a word about which reasonable men may differ. This refrigerator/freezer is recessed into a cubby and, at least at first glance, looks like it would need to be pulled out to see how and what is plugged in. Do you have information that may help me find the "easy" solution?

Bruce_Brown
While I'd agree with the thought behind that it sure would be easy to take a look and find out.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
fijidad wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
When you say refrigerator...is that a typical RV refrigerator with gas or electric option or is it a residential refrigerator?

What brand/model refrigerator?

I just heard back from San Diego RV, and they said the inverter only powers the ice maker, not the refrigerator; and that the refrigerator needs to run on propane.

Now, we can do that, but the refrigerator works fine when we're plugged into the RV Park pedestal...and the propane is off.

So why wouldn't it work off the inverter?

probably not connected to inverter power.

The ice maker is an integral part of and located inside one of the two freezer compartments. Hard to imagine it has a separate power cord.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
fijidad wrote:
ArchHoagland wrote:
When you say refrigerator...is that a typical RV refrigerator with gas or electric option or is it a residential refrigerator?

I just heard back from San Diego RV, and they said the inverter only powers the ice maker, not the refrigerator; and that the refrigerator needs to run on propane.

Now, we can do that, but the refrigerator works fine when we're plugged into the RV Park pedestal...and the propane is off.

probably not connected to inverter power.

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Been RVing for 30 plus Yrs. Boondock 2-3 months a yr. have had 4 different motor homes with Xantrex inverters and have never had a problem with them. There is a guy in Metro Phoenix area that sells refurbished xantrex. Guarantee them and reasonable price. Should pop up with a google search.

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:

MrWizard
Running/powering and RV fridge from the inverter is a waste of battery power, 300+ watts for the heating elements uses 30 to 40 amps D.C. Battery power into the inverter to get the 3 amps 120vac for the fridge heating elements,
The best thing is to use propane for the fridge when not connected to shore power, this RV has an RV gas electric fridge, I power it exclusively from LP unless I run out of propane, in which case I switch to electric and inverter while I drive to the LP station,
For 7 years with a previous RV I did power a residential fridge from inverter, with 649watts of solar pane on the roof and 500+ AmpHrs of battery bank, that fridge compressor only need 100 watts of electric power
RV gas electric absorption fridge need 3 to 4 times as much electric power,
I use l.p. And keep electric as emergency backup operation
With this fridge
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, our Xantrex 2K watt inverter charger has performed flawlessly whether providing 120Vac to our coach or charging our 4 golfcart batteries. Second, we have the larger 4 door Norcold in our rig and inverter is not wired from the factory to power our fridge. I asked the previous owner and they stated the factory told them no need as propane mode is commonly used when off the power grid.

On my last rig I installed a dedicated inverter for our RV fridge thinking I would save on propane and not have to have it in gas mode while traveling. Neither assumption were truly vindicated, we found batteries down upon arrival, not good when you are boondocking. Our RV fridges have always performed well across many rigs, they stay cold for hours, we use propane mode as needed while traveling.

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
Good call, and I agree. This may be something to do with the refrigerator instead. Hopefully something "simple." Read inexpensive. If there is such a thing in owning a motor home.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen complaints from other people who had problems running refrigerators off of inverters.

I suggest you do some more research before replacing the inverter.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

fijidad
Explorer
Explorer
It's a typical gas/electric refrigerator...don't remember the brand name and we just dropped it off at San Diego RV for work on a list of things. I was able to confirm the inverter is working by turning on a portable fan that runs on ac. But the refrigerator has an error code that says "no ac." And yet, when we're at an RV park, it runs like a champ on ac. So, still confused about it not running off the inverter.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes