Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Need recommendation for a replacement inverter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Need recommendation for a replacement inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
fijidad

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

I'm curious what kind of problem you are seeing.

That's a good question...something I've been pondering since you asked it. The problem I'm having is that the refrigerator will not run in inverter mode. Runs fine when we're plugged in, but not otherwise. There are beeps, and codes that I don't fully understand, but the bottom line is it doesn't run the refrigerator.

I'm taking the rig in today for work on a list of things that need attention, and this is on that list. I'll report back what they say.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you say refrigerator...is that a typical RV refrigerator with gas or electric option or is it a residential refrigerator?

What brand/model refrigerator?

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

fijidad

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a typical gas/electric refrigerator...don't remember the brand name and we just dropped it off at San Diego RV for work on a list of things. I was able to confirm the inverter is working by turning on a portable fan that runs on ac. But the refrigerator has an error code that says "no ac." And yet, when we're at an RV park, it runs like a champ on ac. So, still confused about it not running off the inverter.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've seen complaints from other people who had problems running refrigerators off of inverters.

I suggest you do some more research before replacing the inverter.

fijidad

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good call, and I agree. This may be something to do with the refrigerator instead. Hopefully something "simple." Read inexpensive. If there is such a thing in owning a motor home.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, our Xantrex 2K watt inverter charger has performed flawlessly whether providing 120Vac to our coach or charging our 4 golfcart batteries. Second, we have the larger 4 door Norcold in our rig and inverter is not wired from the factory to power our fridge. I asked the previous owner and they stated the factory told them no need as propane mode is commonly used when off the power grid.

On my last rig I installed a dedicated inverter for our RV fridge thinking I would save on propane and not have to have it in gas mode while traveling. Neither assumption were truly vindicated, we found batteries down upon arrival, not good when you are boondocking. Our RV fridges have always performed well across many rigs, they stay cold for hours, we use propane mode as needed while traveling.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/21 03:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Running/powering and RV fridge from the inverter is a waste of battery power, 300+ watts for the heating elements uses 30 to 40 amps D.C. Battery power into the inverter to get the 3 amps 120vac for the fridge heating elements,
The best thing is to use propane for the fridge when not connected to shore power, this RV has an RV gas electric fridge, I power it exclusively from LP unless I run out of propane, in which case I switch to electric and inverter while I drive to the LP station,
For 7 years with a previous RV I did power a residential fridge from inverter, with 649watts of solar pane on the roof and 500+ AmpHrs of battery bank, that fridge compressor only need 100 watts of electric power
RV gas electric absorption fridge need 3 to 4 times as much electric power,
I use l.p. And keep electric as emergency backup operation
With this fridge

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fijidad

Escondido, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ArchHoagland wrote:

When you say refrigerator...is that a typical RV refrigerator with gas or electric option or is it a residential refrigerator?

I just heard back from San Diego RV, and they said the inverter only powers the ice maker, not the refrigerator; and that the refrigerator needs to run on propane.

Now, we can do that, but the refrigerator works fine when we're plugged into the RV Park pedestal...and the propane is off.

So why wouldn't it work off the inverter?

grldst

Dallas, GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been RVing for 30 plus Yrs. Boondock 2-3 months a yr. have had 4 different motor homes with Xantrex inverters and have never had a problem with them. There is a guy in Metro Phoenix area that sells refurbished xantrex. Guarantee them and reasonable price. Should pop up with a google search.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fijidad wrote:

ArchHoagland wrote:

I just heard back from San Diego RV, and they said the inverter only powers the ice maker, not the refrigerator; and that the refrigerator needs to run on propane.

Now, we can do that, but the refrigerator works fine when we're plugged into the RV Park pedestal...and the propane is off.

So why wouldn't it work off the inverter?
probably not connected to inverter power.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Need recommendation for a replacement inverter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.