cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Benefit of extra fuel tank.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I just went 1237 miles between fuel stops. I towed for about 600 hundred of those miles. I've got an extra 90 gallons in the truck bed. With rising fuel prices it's nice to avoid the gas station.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE
112 REPLIES 112

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
a great convenience for sure. I have an extra 40 gallons.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Timmo_
Explorer II
Explorer II
One ugly wrinkle is gas for generators, can't get that from the OEM tank very easy (yeah siphoning is one option, but burping gas fumes can ruin a good martini). Depending on the drive, I am guilty of packing 7 gallon gas tanks.

When we lived in the void south of Oregon and north of Mexico, driving 300+ miles to Eastern Sierras was the norm. Now that we live in Pacific Northwest, lol, if I drive 100 miles, I probably passed by a few hundred excellent camping spots.

What a difference a day makes.
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 25 gallon Enduraplas aux. tank and a 38 gallon OEM tank giving me
63 gallons total.
The Enduraplas tank is simply a portable tank that sits in the back of the truck. It has its own hose that I use to manually fill my tank.
THere is no installation required.
The additional tank does give some flexibility to stop when I want.
I can often go camping for the weekend without having to go into town for fuel. I often will go into town anyway but If the prices are more expensive than at home I can avoid getting fuel.
PA fuel prices are always more than MD it seems. While VA is generally cheaper.
I generally don't penny pinch on fuel prices. A few cents here and there are not a big deal to me.
The aux. tank gives me the option to save on occasion, it allows me to fuel at my leisure. It also allows me to return from southern destinations without having to fuel in the always congested DC metro area.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:

On Edit, it occurs to me that the great thing about it is that no one is forced to add an auxiliary tank, so they really have no need to defend their decision not to add one. It's a free country: dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

Which has been thenpoint that many have been trying to make. If you want an auxilliary tank, get one. If you don't, don't. It is not something that everyone has to want or need. The reasons for it are personal.

What one person values as 'important', another person sees as 'no big deal'.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
As I have mentioned many times, I much prefer stopping at rest stops, city parks, almost any place other than a noisy, crowded, truck stop. If you prefer truck stops to city parks, or rest stops, then by all means do your own thing. I prefer not to spend my stops taking a break at a truck stop.

Yes, you have to stop before the tank, 70 gallons, is anywhere near empty. But, to me, it's just more pleasant to stop at almost any place other than a truck stop. Regardless of how wonderful I've been told the new truck stops are. ๐Ÿ™‚ Wink wink, nudge nudge.

On Edit, it occurs to me that the great thing about it is that no one is forced to add an auxiliary tank, so they really have no need to defend their decision not to add one. It's a free country: dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.

You forgot smelly.
LOL I left it out on purpose. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
As I have mentioned many times, I much prefer stopping at rest stops, city parks, almost any place other than a noisy, crowded, truck stop. If you prefer truck stops to city parks, or rest stops, then by all means do your own thing. I prefer not to spend my stops taking a break at a truck stop.

Yes, you have to stop before the tank, 70 gallons, is anywhere near empty. But, to me, it's just more pleasant to stop at almost any place other than a truck stop. Regardless of how wonderful I've been told the new truck stops are. ๐Ÿ™‚ Wink wink, nudge nudge.

You forgot smelly.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:

Yes, you have to stop before the tank, 70 gallons, is anywhere near empty. But, to me, it's just more pleasant to stop at almost any place other than a truck stop. Regardless of how wonderful I've been told the new truck stops are. ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm beginning to think it's the highlight of some people's trips to see how many Loves and Pilots they can stop at....
Nothing like using a restroom with 6 stalls where 500 truckers a day drop the kids off at the pool!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You anti large fuel tank folks are the best entertainment short of stand up comedy.
Whether one thinks someone else should find value in it or not, is not the question.

And the justifications are great....
" I have to pee, so might as well fill up"
" I don't care what fuel cost because I spent alot on the truck, so might as well fill up."
" My cataracts, goider and bunions and hemmeroids won't allow me to drive more than 227.4 miles per day, so might as well fill up."
"I could get car jacked and then the extra fuel was a wasted expense, might as well fill up frequently."

I could apply y'alls goofy justifications to say that the folks who do, or wish they could pack extra fuel are dumb to many other everyday life tasks to show you how silly you sound.

"I don't eat a weeks worth of food every day, and I go to bingo daily, so might as well go grocery shopping every day."
"I only drink 2 beers a day, so no sense in buying a 12pack or a case, when I can get 2 gas station tallboys daily."
"My electric bill comes monthly, but I can pay 1/30th of it each day..."
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Buying fuel at a cheaper station is just one of the bennies of extra fuel. The main benefit is stopping when you want to, rather than when the truck demands it.

With my Durango, I plan a stop to meet both needs at once. To me there is no benefit to stopping for my break and not filling up at the same time. If I need to stop every 400 miles, then having a fuel tank that will get me 500 miles is pretty much ideal. I drive 400 miles, stop for me and fill up, then go another 400 miles. And I always have an extra 100 miles if there is some problem getting fuel at the 400 miles marker.

With an extra tank that will get me 600 miles, what do I gain? 800 miles? Again, what do I gain. I'm still stopping every 400 miles.

Now, if I can happily drive 1,000 miles without stopping, then that extra tank makes more sense. But, you also have to account for any passengers - can THEY last that full 1,000 miles without stopping? Or are you gonna have to stop regardless of your tank quantity?
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Devo_the_dog
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Buying fuel at a cheaper station is just one of the bennies of extra fuel. The main benefit is stopping when you want to, rather than when the truck demands it.

Interesting logic:
Buy a truck with a diesel (added cost), spend more money on a large or extra fuel tank, buy and tow a huge RV that lowers the mpg, and all of a sudden, shopping for fuel that's a few dollars less per tank is important?

LOL.

When I tow any of the trailers, I don't really care about the cost the fuel. It is what it is.

I am interested in the MPG because it tells how the truck is performing compared to other trips. But, cost? No.
The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui, I understand why.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
My bladder requires a rest every few hours. Our Ford has a 48 gal tank which allows us to tow most of a day, at least 400 miles. Iโ€™ve bought fuel for $2.48-$5.15 a gal. If you canโ€™t afford the price of fuel, you should get another hobby.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Timmo! wrote:

LOL, as an Indie (neither R or D) I freely speak my mind without worrying about trying to maintain some crazy political allegiance. And yes I lived through the Carter days and economically, it sucked.

I think we can agree, every leader "does what he could to protect"... (their constituents)..."from outside influences he could not control", it's part of the job of being a leader.

IMO, if any leader (prez, gov, mayor) chooses to bask in the sunlight of good news during their watch, then they should also embrace the cloudy days of bad news. Agree?

I will never claim Carter was a good president, but I will say he was one of the best men to be president.
I can't see how anybody could say the president caused the oil embargo. And like most I did not always look kindly on the changes made under his administration. (Running meat, the double nickel hurt) but looking back if the population had at least tried maybe the oil companies would of lost grip on the sack years ago.