Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Timmo!

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Then again, apps like GasBuddy can lead you to the most affordable gas station, which coincidentally, are seldom right off the interstate. Last October, I saved a buck a gallon by driving 1.5 miles further into town, lol where the locals bought their gas.

(Formerly known as SPRey)
Tim & Sue
Hershey (Sheltie)
2005 F150 4x4 Lariat 5.4L 3.73 Please buy a Hybrid...I need your gas for my 35.7 gallon tank!
2000 Nash 19B...comfortably pimped with a real Queen Size Bed

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

Then again, apps like GasBuddy can lead you to the most affordable gas station, which coincidentally, are seldom right off the interstate. Last October, I saved a buck a gallon by driving 1.5 miles further into town, lol where the locals bought their gas.

Not always so easy when your overall length is 67'.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

My f350 with the extra tank will go about 1500mi. Sometimes I have saved as much as $1.00 a gallon so it pays for the extra tank real quick. Gas buddy is my friend. Recently in GA I saved over $1.00 by going to a Kroger 1/2 mi from I-95

But Kroger or any other grocery discount won’t give you the discount on say 80 or 100gal in my experience. When the pump charge maxes out at $75 or $100, your discount is over. By some more groceries and see you next month!

Regardless, some folks don’t find it useful to carry more fuel. Some do.
If you like fueling up frequently, great. If you don’t, great.
Having the biggest factory location tank is a plus for everyone. Those who aren’t in love with gas stations, truck stops, roller food and have a good bladder can pack more fuel.
Those that love truckstop restrooms and 7-11 hot dogs and taquitos can put in half a tank so that they have a reason to sample the fine fare at the next Loves or Pilot, 200 miles down the road!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Timmo! wrote:

Not always so easy when your overall length is 67'.
Bingo. That is one of the best reasons for a auxiliary fuel tank: you can fill up at the end of the day after you've dumped the trailer. I like being the one deciding where I'll fuel up, rather than the truck deciding, "Hey it's time to stop".

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our ’95 F-150 had 17 & 18 gal fuel tanks with a switch to change tanks and the fuel gauge. One had to stay cognizant of the “off” tank to keep from getting caught with too little fuel. When we went from a 27’ fifth wheel to a 37’ we swapped out the OEM 26 gallon tank (Super Duty short bed) for a 50 gallon Titan replacement purely for convenience. We’re not worried about the cost of the tank or saving fuel cost, although the larger tank does allow a little flexibility on fuel prices. With the old small tank we sometimes had to fill before the ¼ point because it was too far to the next acceptable fuel stop. Next truck (if there is a next truck) will definitely be a long bed Ford with a 48 gallon stock tank.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spoon059 wrote:

Back when gas was $1 a gallon it wasn't terrible.
I remember when gas first broke $1 and there were plenty people saying they would walk before paying that much.

Anyone remember the old pumps had to be set at half price because max was 99.9 cents? (of course you had to pay 2x the displayed amount)

Price of fuel has always been a contention.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I remember when gas first broke $1 and there were plenty people saying they would walk before paying that much.

Anyone remember the old pumps had to be set at half price because max was 99.9 cents? (of course you had to pay 2x the displayed amount)

Price of fuel has always been a contention.

And the gas stations moaning about the cost to replace all the pumps because the old could not price over a dollar? Not 1 station owner thought to round that $0.009 to $0.01? Change the last digit to penny, and the price could go to $9.99 with old pump.

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont have an extra fuel tank, but the new truck has a 38 gallon tank. Its way better being able to go further without stoping. Especially with a 9 yo in the truck with me. Between bathroom, meals and fuel it seems like we were stoping every hour and getting nowhere fast.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mileage? Extra tanks seldom pay for themselves saving on gas prices. What they are about is peace of mind when stations are few and far between or little small places with tiny yards to try and fit into. I would love to be able to drive from Atlanta to St Louis and not have to worry about gas stops.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 posts above I disagree with. 1- the big tanks do save a lot of money and 2 I have been in that same Kroger in GA with my DP with the same trailer at 72ft no problem. I never had any store discount and put 100+ gallons in the DP. It’s a choice and if you want to ride you have to buy fuel no matter what it costs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.