Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Guess I am a “FOOL” to haul a nice large RV. Must be extra foolish as I also own a 2,500’ rambler in NW WA on property with a 30x40 shop.

Curious why you don’t sell that RAM as it seems you are not happy with it.

On flT ground towing at 60 I will bet you get 9-10 with the RAM and no way more than 7.5 with the gasser same conditions.

Whether you’re a fool or not is not really in question here.
However Devo seems to have slipped into the, what appears to be typical of many on here, grumpy old man, bitsch about everything syndrome. And therefore he’s acting like a TOOL.
To the point of putting down other good folks for the type of RV trailer they have??
Really?
Some people just live sad, spiteful lives.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

It’s amazing, some folks’ level of conviction against extra fuel....too funny!
so you say

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Guess I am a “FOOL” to haul a nice large RV. Must be extra foolish as I also own a 2,500’ rambler in NW WA on property with a 30x40 shop.

Curious why you don’t sell that RAM as it seems you are not happy with it.

On flT ground towing at 60 I will bet you get 9-10 with the RAM and no way more than 7.5 with the gasser same conditions.

People are different. We're not interested in towing a huge RV just to park it some other place. We're typically out hiking and climbing. So, ours is fine for our use.

At least you have a nice cottage.

I've kept receipts on my vehicles since 2005 and hand calculate the fuel mileage. The sad reality is that the Ram's fuel mileage when towing isn't good enough to justify recommending it. I am considering selling it but for other reasons. It's still at the Ram dealership and they're struggling with getting the 2nd recall done (bed step), fixing the radio which was a dealership documented problem from the 3rd month of ownership 1 1/2 years ago, the heater, the AC, suspension clunks, etc. Even FCA is puzzled why after three appointments, made weeks in advance, they can't get it fixed over a three month period. LOL. Can't get a safety recall done within 3 months? Hahaha. What a joke.

Why don't I sell? I've been looking for a replacement. The reality is that I can't find a Ford that I want nationwide. And, Ford halted production due to shortages. I'm definitely not replacing it with a Ram. If the problem was just the truck, it would be different situation. But, the biggest problem has been the idiocy with multiple dealerships backed by the idiocy of the manufacture. You can't fix stupid. Longtime ram fanboys don't get it because they're accepting of anything, just like any cult member would. They buy over and over and over, even if the factory fix is a spot weld. LOL.

In the meantime, I still have my F350 while the Ram is parked at the FCA dealership. And yes, I'm going thru the legal process of requesting a buy-back at the same time.

In summary, the benefit of an extra fuel tank, or a larger fuel tank is great. And that's why Ram owners make modifications.

The dodge fan boys hate the dodge/ram dealerships. Now that I have owned a Mexican Fiat Oui-Oui (La fiat wee-wee), I understand why.
The only thing more incompetent than Ram is Bye-don and his supporters.

Devo the dog

Moved out of crazy California

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

To the point of putting down other good folks for the type of RV trailer they have??
Really?

In my opinion, a heavy TALL RV is foolish. It has a tall roof, that contains air space you can't use. And, what does that get you? A tall structure that does nothing more than push air as you tow it. Why not throw a parachute behind the RV also?

Having an opinion about that is not the same as living a sad spiteful life.

With your response though, you're actually the one being spiteful. I stated an opinion and you don't like it. That's your problem, not mine. LOL.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Devo the dog wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Really?

In my opinion, a heavy TALL RV is foolish. It has a tall roof, that contains air space you can't use. And, what does that get you? A tall structure that does nothing more than push air as you tow it. Why not throw a parachute behind the RV also?

Having an opinion about that is not the same as living a sad spiteful life.

With your response though, you're actually the one being spiteful. I stated an opinion and you don't like it. That's your problem, not mine. LOL.

Not jumping in on your argument, just addressing you tall comment. Nothing wrong with cubic inches my friend. It's knowing how to use them. Tall people love it for the obvious reason. They tow a lot better than you think, not like a parachute. A TT has it's curses but a tall fiver like mine is easy peasy. Maybe guys that tow nervous would have the issue you are referencing.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

It’s amazing, some folks’ level of conviction against extra fuel....too funny!

I’ve often wondered about the same thing.

I’ll just give it my “broad-brush” treatment and put it this way: They’re either too cheap (maybe frugal sounds better [emoticon] ) to buy one themselves, or they’re too stubborn (ultra practical? [emoticon] [emoticon] ) to admit that there ARE valid reasons besides just being able to buy large quantities of fuel at the cheapest price to having an extra/larger tanks. ROI isn’t even part of the equation for some of us.

When I had a ‘95 F350 with dual tanks, I replaced the rear tank with a 40 gallon tank, and carried the spare on the rear bumper of the camper. I never had to worry about running out of fuel, or where the next fuel station was.

[image]

I got used to that, and didn’t want to give it up when I bought my first F450. The 19.5 tire and wheel is much heavier though, so I could no longer carry it there. The OEM tank is 36 gallons though, so as long as I could have a Jerry can of fuel with me, I’d be fine with that.

[image]

I had been thinking about a way to re-purpose the spare tire carrier that had gone unused for a few years, and finally came up with a way to convert it into a fuel can carrier. The 20L can is a Swiss Army surplus, and the 5L can is brand new, and they both use the same spout.

I’ve used the Diesel can more than once on a trip when the terrain or the wind blew my expected fuel mileage and it became obvious we were going to come up short from our planned fuel stop. I’ve been glad I had it easily accessible several times.

I am a notorious pack-rat, and salvage all kinds of things (junk) that would otherwise be thrown away at work, and I had several heavy steel angle plates, a 4'x4' sheet of 1/2" high density polyurethane, a bunch of 6" long carriage bolts, etc. I was actively trying to find a way to use some of this good junk, so I could free up some shelf space in my storage building for newer, gooder junk. I bought the Jerry can holder from a eBay auction at a good price, and I bought the nylon locking nuts. Everything else is salvaged. Actually, I consider the spare tire mount to be salvage as well, since it was originally on an old truck I used to own before the F350.

Here's a better view of the contraption with the Jerry cans removed.

[image]

Backside showing salvaged 90 deg. plates.

[image]

It can even still fold down, so that it’s easier to pull the can out. After doing some major damage to both my shoulders (torn rotator cuff, torn deltoid, torn biceps), that fold-down feature has been a shoulder-saver. I wouldn't be able to get a full 20L can of Diesel out of the holder if I had to lift it straight up.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/06/21 11:00am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Yet another stellar looking invention NRA!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Devo, no skin off my back, and you’re correct, no one with any sort of knowledge about thermodynamics or just good horse sense would disagree that heat rises, aerodynamics are more than partly attributable to frontal area and that the smaller, lighter of a trailer you’re pulling, generally the more economical it is on the fuel bill.

But instead you basically pee’d on every RV owner with a big camper as if your (big 40’ long double and triple axle trailers, which are both sweet btw) choices are somehow morally or physically superior to everyone else’s.
I find it mildly entertaining. Others probably only consider it poor behavior.

The spiteful part is your weird incessant jabbing at anything Ram related because you got either a lemon of a truck or a lemon of a dealer, or both. Anyone with half a brain would have understood that from your initial postings on the issue. But somehow, you got the notion to put down anyone who owns the same brand of truck that YOU bought as well, but are now having a bad experience with it.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"In my opinion, a heavy TALL RV is foolish. It has a tall roof, that contains air space you can't use."

Stop by some time and I will give you a tour. 5er's have to be tall if a 6'2" person wants to stand up in the upper bedroom area. Then our roofline stays level from there to the back and the cabinetry goes up to and near the ceiling giving us a lot of storage that is nice when living in the RV.

Besides who wants to feel like they are in a Cave.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/21 11:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here I am, absolutely SHOCKED that we haven't seen the photo of the yellow 5 gallon can in the truck bed........

I installed a 60 gallon RDS right after I bought my truck in 2011. And while the main purpose of buying it wasn't saving money on fuel, I am absolutely certain that it has more than paid for itself in the time we have had it.

We went over 1000 miles two weekends ago towing the boat, and having the tank saved me two fuel ups where the prices were more than $1/gallon more than the fuel I bought at home.

Sure is nice to stop where you want to, not where you have to. I'll always say that the aux tank was one of the best upgrades I've done to the truck.

And, FWIW, around here the Krogers allow you to purchase 35 gallons at the earned grocery discount. And at least at current prices, I can get the full 35 gallons prior to the pump shutting off due to a spending limit. I hope that continues through the summer, although I have my doubts.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Benefit of extra fuel tank.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.