cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yosemite to glacier NP... route?

tammyinwv
Explorer
Explorer
We will be driving from west yosemite to glacier np the last of may pulling a 40 ft fifth wheel and was wondering what would be the best route .... rt5 to portland, or hit 80 in nevada and take 95, good sams says take 93 in nevada and going north. Or take rt 5 north..Which is best route for large fifth wheel?
6 REPLIES 6

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
tammyinwv wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Our biggest concern was whether we should avoid Tioga pass to go north and best way from there.

I don't know which would be easier to pull over. 108 or 88.

DO NOT DO --- 4 ---.

4 is a fabulous motorcycle road. I have blasted over 108 and 88 on a motorcycle too. My memory says it was a ways up and then a long down hill, with sweeping corners.
KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

tammyinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice. Our biggest concern was whether we should avoid Tioga pass to go north and best way from there.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
tammyinwv wrote:
We will be driving from west yosemite to glacier np the last of may pulling a 40 ft fifth wheel and was wondering what would be the best route .... rt5 to portland, or hit 80 in nevada and take 95, good sams says take 93 in nevada and going north. Or take rt 5 north..Which is best route for large fifth wheel?

95 to 12 to 93.

Glacier is closed on Going to the Sun Highway.

From the web site
Portions of Going-to-the-Sun Road remain open all year and provide access to many locations and activities. The opening of the alpine portion varies, based on snowfall and plowing progress. There is no set date for the road to open. Typically the road has been fully open in late June or early July.

KEN
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Came south on 95 last summer and would say it’s prettier than 95. FromYosemite I’d include Lake Tahoe but you can’t get there without going almost to I-5 and then 50...2 sides of a triangle but not much difference than I-80 to 93 or 95.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
have not been up that way in several years, but 93 up through Missoula to Hungry Horse is not a bad road. Or you can move over to I 15 and go up the east side of Glacier, also not bad.
the caveat is the possibility of rough roads due to negligence.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
What does Google gal say?
If you take US93 stop by in Salmon ID and visit the Sacajawea Interpretive Center.
We'll be volunteering there through Labor Day.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu