Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Removing cigarette/cigar smoke residue, ozone machine?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Removing cigarette/cigar smoke residue, ozone machine?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
KnowNuthin

Centennial, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our FW as a guest house from time to time... our last guests were smokers —one tobacco cigarette user, one “Black” clove cigarette user (I’m not fond of either).

While they respected or wishes to not smoke in our trailer, they sat in their car just outside... unfortunately leaving both the car and trailer doors open and the Fantastic Fan running...

We have washed all the bedding and throw rugs and still have an unpleasant odor throughout the trailer...

Has anyone tried an ozone machine to remove the embedded smoke molecules from unreachable nooks and crannies?

Anyone have experience with other products that work on smoke in particular...

2005 2500HD D/A CC LB 4X4 being pushed by:
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2007 Ural GearUp Arctic

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years back I found my dream Jeep. The problem was the owner was a smoker, didn't notice it at first but as it warmed up it was very noticeable. The dealership promised they could remove it, so much they would refund my purchase if I wasn't satisfied - I figured I had nothing to lose. I could have left it with them or do it at home using Auto Shocker Quick Release To be honest I was less then thrilled and figured I'd be taking the Jeep back. But I followed the directions, in fact let it sit for a couple of days instead of the 24 hours. Then vented it Sunday night. Monday morning, I couldn't smell any smoke. That afternoon, when temps were in the 80s, I took it for a drive and nothing. I was honestly shocked that it worked, but very happy about it it. For the price it might be worth a try, you an find it cheaper on Amazon too.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

blaczero

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As far as ozone machine, you have to know what you're doing a little.

You never want the machine *in* the area you're ozoning. The intake always needs fresh air to pull in. I usually open a window, wedge the machine in, and use cardboard to close off the rest of the area.

You want the ozone running for a while (half a day), and then let it sit for a day at least before running it again. The material you're ozoning matters a lot. Thick cloth material/chairs will take much longer than concrete/wood/less porous surfaces.

The issue would be air movement inside the rig. How is the ozone going to circulate everywhere? Put a small fan to blow the ozone around. Make sure you're getting the ozone everywhere you can.

In my car I did 4 hours ozone, let sit 12 or so, ozone again.

After you're finished, depending on how many cloth surfaces you have, it could take a very long time for the ozone smell to completely dissipate, which isn't a huge deal generally.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used an ozone machine to get some mouse odors out of a popup camper one time. I ran the machine for 2 days after scrubbing everything down with soapy water. The combination of scrubbing and the ozone machine really surprised me. All of the mouse stink was gone. And mouse stink is much worse than cigarettes.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozone works. Years ago had an apartment that needed special cleaning. At the end the insurance company set an ozone machine to rid the final odors. Ran a few days maybe a week. All was good after.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

KnowNuthin

Centennial, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Follow up question: if I go with an ozone machine can I leave the heat on to suck ozone through the furnace and ducts? Same thing with the A/C? (Two different treatment times)

That Auto Shocker looks interesting too... I may pick up one of those to try when I can’t leave the RV uninhabited long enough to ozone it..,

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try setting out dishes of coffee grounds,. We had a forgotten boiled chicken bone on the stove that turned into the worst burnt smell everywhere throughout the house. We read that coffee grounds absorb smell so tried that. We also put a mesh bag full of activated carbon on the HVAC air intake. A couple days later all of the smell was gone.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ozone does work and it's used by professionals all the time, but do some research on how to use it properly. Ozone works by adding an extra oxygen atom to O2 making it O3 and thus very unstable. You have to remove the 3 P's (people, plants, and pets) because you can't breathe O3 and it can cause lung irritation or damage. Once the ozone is produced it reacts with a pollutant, bacteria, virus, or mold, and breaks it down into less complex (and typically less harmful) molecules through a process called oxidation. Ozone that has not reacted with other molecules will decompose into oxygen over time. Fortunately the half life of O3 is very short. Fully vented an RV would be safe to enter about 15-30 minutes after the machine is off.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

FWC

The Wilderness

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 11:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have stated, ozone works well, and you can buy an ozone generator for cheap on Amazon. You absolutely don't want to be in the room when the ozone generator is running or for a few hours afterwards. Many have timers so you can set them and not reenter the room for the timer period plus a few hours longer for the ozone to decompose back to oxygen. Otherwise, run the ozonator on an extension cord from outside, and unplug it, wait a couple of hours then open the doors and windows.

One other thing to be aware of, the ozone oxidizes organic molecules, which includes plastics, particularly soft plastics and elastomers. If you use too much ozone you can end up destroying rubber, elastics and even synthetic fabrics.

bgiroux

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son inherited a car from a heavy smoker. We sceptically tried the product below and I was absolutely amazed that it worked so well. Might need a few cans for an entire rv.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/meguiar-s-whole-car-air-refresher-spray-new-car-0372630p.html#srp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Removing cigarette/cigar smoke residue, ozone machine?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.