cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fish bowl cooling class A

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always had a problem cooling and heating the fish bowl on my RV.
The dash air has never cooled the fish bowl and the front air does not send enough air while driving to the front.

Iโ€™ve tried directing the flow to the front, using a fan to push the cool air to the front, nothing works.

Also I do drive mostly out west with temps over 90 many times.

So has anyone done any creative ac mods to help this situation ?

Like replacing the dash ac system and putting in something that works, or adding some type of stand alone ac unit in the front ?

Let me know

Jcat
2004 Mandalay 40 D
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP
28 REPLIES 28

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug

I've had 70% tint on full windshields for decades now, cars and motorhomes. LEO's aren't looking for that -- they're looking for the real dark stuff. Visibly, you couldn't tell the difference -- neither could I -- but when it comes to cooling .... wow!

Only two states โ€” Ohio and North Dakota โ€” allow you to tint the entire windshield, but it has to be 70 percent or lighter.

Is front windshield tint legal in Alabama?
Only the upper six inches of the front windshield may be tinted. The material applied must be transparent. All other windows (side and rear) may have tinting that allows at least 32% light transmission with a 3% tolerance. The reflective material may not reflect more than 20% of light.

How much is a ticket for Window Tint in Alabama?
Window film can keep your car looking and feeling cool, but there's nothing cool about paying a $100 fine for violating Alabama window tinting regulations. .Apr 17, 2018

Hmmmm, food for thought. I wonder how many 70% windshield tint tickets are issued in a year in any given state? Maybe you can research that for us. I know I'm probably the only one on this entire forum that has full windshield tint, and probably the only one that violates any other obscure laws as well :W, but it would be interesting to find out (even though my car isn't even registered in Alabama)
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug

I've had 70% tint on full windshields for decades now, cars and motorhomes. LEO's aren't looking for that -- they're looking for the real dark stuff. Visibly, you couldn't tell the difference -- neither could I -- but when it comes to cooling .... wow!

Only two states โ€” Ohio and North Dakota โ€” allow you to tint the entire windshield, but it has to be 70 percent or lighter.

Is front windshield tint legal in Alabama?
Only the upper six inches of the front windshield may be tinted. The material applied must be transparent. All other windows (side and rear) may have tinting that allows at least 32% light transmission with a 3% tolerance. The reflective material may not reflect more than 20% of light.

How much is a ticket for Window Tint in Alabama?
Window film can keep your car looking and feeling cool, but there's nothing cool about paying a $100 fine for violating Alabama window tinting regulations. .Apr 17, 2018

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I read "fishbowl" in the rv forums at least 10 years ago, perhaps this one.
-jbh-

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

JCat
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks guys all good input for changes and things to check.
Especially running a separate duct from the front ac to the **** pit area.

I also heard about the tint, which is supposed to cut down on the heat and is not dark or visible as a tint to Johnny law, po po, 5 O, occifer, smoky, (more new words for your vocabulary) ??
JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
OK, IF the roof AC and Dash AC check out to spec, odds are you have front Firewall air leaks. The best way to determine where the gaps and holes are is to do this at night if you do not have an enclosed garage. I use both a 300(Smaller than the 500) and 500 watt Halogen work lamp. You first install the lamps INSIDE under the dash and drivers and Pass area pointing at the Firewall. Then go outside and find the various areas showing the light. You WILL find areas. Then have someone move the lights around and at various angles to find all the gaps. I use both Spray foam and Black Silicone to seal the various areas where the light comes out. Once you have found and sealed all areas, you then install the lights out front pointing in and around the Genset. Go inside and find all the areas if any left of light and seal those areas. You will be amazed how many gaps you will find. Remember, ANY air gap will allow 95 degree heat inside at 65 mph. PLUS, If the Genset is running there is additional heat source that will allow hot air to come inside those gaps. NO AC system can overcome this type Hot air intrusion. This also fixes the cold weather problem where the Dash Heat cannot keep up in cold weather. Doug

PS, I have been on motorhome Internet Forums for more than 22 years(various OEM's and owner forums) and never had that Fishbowl term come up. I asked but you did not answer. WHERE did you hear that terminology?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
You say the roof a/c's are high capacity and cool well when parked. If the heat is an issue while traveling and not when parked check you firewall for air leaks. Often manufactures are sloppy sealing penetration's for hoses, wires and steering columns. Air pressure on the front of a coach can push a lot of hot air through a coach and out slide seals, windows and around fans.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall anyone mentioning running above the windshield defroster fans to circulate the heat away from the windows. That makes a noticeable difference in the dash cooling effectiveness for us.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Even in 90 degree temps my roof air will keep the living area cool. the dash air is adequate. run the roof AC`s and the dash air on recirculate and you should be good. have you had the dash AC inspected and possibly recharged?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a thought. You have 2 roof air conditioners, I'll assume they're ducted and are in the living area and bedroom area. Your rear a/c thermostat will keep the back cool but will shut off the compressor when it hits the set point. So set your bedroom thermostat at its lowest setting and turn off the vents in the bedroom so that all of the air is sent to the front.
On my coach I have 2 Dometic a/c's controlled by 1 thermostat in the front. There is a sensor in the bedroom that controls the rear temperature. If that is unlugged from the rear a/c then it works from the front thermostat. I added a switch so that I can turn it off when I want it to work off the front thermostat. That helps keep the front cooler on hot days.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We struggle at times too. My wife hooked me up last summer. She put a dryer hose vent attached to the rooftop air register and hung it just inches above my head. Looks goofy, but I was COLD in any weather. Plant to do it again this summer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I never heard that either Doug and I am 80 years old. At the rate they are changing the English language to just the first letter of a word I soon will need an interpreter to understand anything.