Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fish bowl cooling class A
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Fish bowl cooling class A

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/03/21 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

chuckftboy

Fleming Island, Florida

Senior Member

Joined: 09/28/2010

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 05/03/21 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You say the roof a/c's are high capacity and cool well when parked. If the heat is an issue while traveling and not when parked check you firewall for air leaks. Often manufactures are sloppy sealing penetration's for hoses, wires and steering columns. Air pressure on the front of a coach can push a lot of hot air through a coach and out slide seals, windows and around fans.


2019 Horizon 42Q Maxim Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/03/21 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/03/21 10:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, IF the roof AC and Dash AC check out to spec, odds are you have front Firewall air leaks. The best way to determine where the gaps and holes are is to do this at night if you do not have an enclosed garage. I use both a 300(Smaller than the 500) and 500 watt Halogen work lamp. You first install the lamps INSIDE under the dash and drivers and Pass area pointing at the Firewall. Then go outside and find the various areas showing the light. You WILL find areas. Then have someone move the lights around and at various angles to find all the gaps. I use both Spray foam and Black Silicone to seal the various areas where the light comes out. Once you have found and sealed all areas, you then install the lights out front pointing in and around the Genset. Go inside and find all the areas if any left of light and seal those areas. You will be amazed how many gaps you will find. Remember, ANY air gap will allow 95 degree heat inside at 65 mph. PLUS, If the Genset is running there is additional heat source that will allow hot air to come inside those gaps. NO AC system can overcome this type Hot air intrusion. This also fixes the cold weather problem where the Dash Heat cannot keep up in cold weather. Doug

PS, I have been on motorhome Internet Forums for more than 22 years(various OEM's and owner forums) and never had that Fishbowl term come up. I asked but you did not answer. WHERE did you hear that terminology?

JCat

Big Apple, SoCal, Big D, everywhere USA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/04/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys all good input for changes and things to check.
Especially running a separate duct from the front ac to the **** pit area.

I also heard about the tint, which is supposed to cut down on the heat and is not dark or visible as a tint to Johnny law, po po, 5 O, occifer, smoky, (more new words for your vocabulary) ??


JCat & PCat
2004 Mandalay 40D
CAT C7 350 HP

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/04/21 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug


I've had 70% tint on full windshields for decades now, cars and motorhomes. LEO's aren't looking for that -- they're looking for the real dark stuff. Visibly, you couldn't tell the difference -- neither could I -- but when it comes to cooling .... wow!

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/04/21 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read "fishbowl" in the rv forums at least 10 years ago, perhaps this one.


-jbh-

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/04/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug


I've had 70% tint on full windshields for decades now, cars and motorhomes. LEO's aren't looking for that -- they're looking for the real dark stuff. Visibly, you couldn't tell the difference -- neither could I -- but when it comes to cooling .... wow!


Only two states — Ohio and North Dakota — allow you to tint the entire windshield, but it has to be 70 percent or lighter.

Is front windshield tint legal in Alabama?
Only the upper six inches of the front windshield may be tinted. The material applied must be transparent. All other windows (side and rear) may have tinting that allows at least 32% light transmission with a 3% tolerance. The reflective material may not reflect more than 20% of light.



How much is a ticket for Window Tint in Alabama?
Window film can keep your car looking and feeling cool, but there's nothing cool about paying a $100 fine for violating Alabama window tinting regulations. .Apr 17, 2018

RetiredRealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/04/21 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

A1ARealtorRick wrote:

Install a 35% tint on the front side windows and a 70% on the full windshield.

ANY tint in the field of vision on a Windshield is illegal in almost all states. Doug


I've had 70% tint on full windshields for decades now, cars and motorhomes. LEO's aren't looking for that -- they're looking for the real dark stuff. Visibly, you couldn't tell the difference -- neither could I -- but when it comes to cooling .... wow!


Only two states — Ohio and North Dakota — allow you to tint the entire windshield, but it has to be 70 percent or lighter.

Is front windshield tint legal in Alabama?
Only the upper six inches of the front windshield may be tinted. The material applied must be transparent. All other windows (side and rear) may have tinting that allows at least 32% light transmission with a 3% tolerance. The reflective material may not reflect more than 20% of light.



How much is a ticket for Window Tint in Alabama?
Window film can keep your car looking and feeling cool, but there's nothing cool about paying a $100 fine for violating Alabama window tinting regulations. .Apr 17, 2018



Hmmmm, food for thought. I wonder how many 70% windshield tint tickets are issued in a year in any given state? Maybe you can research that for us. I know I'm probably the only one on this entire forum that has full windshield tint, and probably the only one that violates any other obscure laws as well [emoticon], but it would be interesting to find out (even though my car isn't even registered in Alabama)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

 > Fish bowl cooling class A
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.