Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: That Cummins, she’s just a ____ing machine!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> That Cummins, she’s just a ____ing machine!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purty!

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Thanks!

Well you gotta pay to play, and I’m not gonna lie, it wasn’t my first choice, but it’s growing on me. Ask my boys...one day I’m like this ill shifting pos with a cheap lift needs to go! And the next I’m like hey this is fun and looks sweet...
And I’m not one to kiss a gift horse in the mouth and a deal on a diesel truck in this market is not to be missed....
That said, there’s some truth and some hype to those statements about impending repairs. He!!, there’s guys that don’t get 50k out of a set of ball joints on a stock truck and those that get 200k.
At a little over 80k, steering box, ball joints, rod ends and track bar are still tight. Will see how long they last. Considering the truck has been a pavement princess commuter rig for basically it’s whole life, I’m pretty confident it’s not going to just start falling apart...lol.

I will say, the trans tuning could use some help. MotorOps did the engine and trans tunes and never having a tuned 68rfe, idk if the tq converter unlock between shifts or the early up shifts can be further tuned out of it or not. I called MotorOps once and guy seemed like he wanted to get home from work, not discuss the finer points of my tune, lol.
I guess if guys can go 300-500k miles, towing for a living with a 68rfe, it should last a while putting around the highways in Seattle with occasional trip over the mountains with a trailer in tow...
Still my least favorite thing about the truck though...

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2015 is stock other than Timbrens, but yeah it's a beast towing. Are you running a WDH or did you just drop it on a ball? Our current trailer is a fifth wheel but I think there's a good chance our next one will be a bumper pull, either TH or TT. It would be nice to just drop it on a ball hitch and not mess around with a WDH if it handled okay. Good loooking combo!

I'm probably going to wait out the current price spike - I'm thinking there are going to be some good deals on the other side when lots of new trailer owners realize they don't like camping and dumping black tanks for fun. Not everybody is cut out to be cousin Eddie.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

My 2015 is stock other than Timbrens, but yeah it's a beast towing. Are you running a WDH or did you just drop it on a ball? Our current trailer is a fifth wheel but I think there's a good chance our next one will be a bumper pull, either TH or TT. It would be nice to just drop it on a ball hitch and not mess around with a WDH if it handled okay. Good loooking combo!

I'm probably going to wait out the current price spike - I'm thinking there are going to be some good deals on the other side when lots of new trailer owners realize they don't like camping and dumping black tanks for fun. Not everybody is cut out to be cousin Eddie.

Yeah, this impressed me, given the big tires combined with little gears aint the best combo for towing.
No wdh. Seller gave me his. Drop shank was too short to level the trailer and only 2" and I'm not a huge fan of adapters.
It handled just like most trailers I've pulled. Tracked straight as an arrow. But to be fair, toyhauler has some wicked tongue weight.
Since my truck is leveled, any squat is nose in the air, so I leveled back to unloaded height with the bags. Took a little over 40psi to get it eyeball close. So 5000lb bags @ 100psi, 40psi = 2klbs roughly? EDIT: Probably more like 1500lbs tongue weight.

I WISH I could have waited. (Well I could have but that would have tanked this summer's activities. My family is no longer tent friendly...) On the upside, I didn't get rolled too bad for this camper. It was a good enough deal that it was sale pending 3 hours after it was listed.
I'm totally good with how it tows and anything short of loading our CJ5 in the garage and it should still have more than ample tongue weight.

* This post was last edited 05/18/21 03:48pm by Grit dog *   View edit history

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bringing this back to the top for Fish!

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Bringing this back to the top for Fish!

Thanks, it's been a bit quiet lately!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did I mention, the WDH that came with it is up for sale on FB and CL currently?

Don't need that shizzz...
[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, and 6 in a row, built to tow!
8 in a vee....you know the rest!

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2000# on the ball with no WD....... oh my.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/18/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

2000# on the ball with no WD....... oh my.

Must be I overestimated that. As it's pressure and height that calcs to how much weight it's supporting.
Just read the specs and supposedly the trailer's dry tongue weight is 1355lbs.
I had the wdh in the front compartment and idk, maybe a half tank of water, wherever that is, but it appears it's right over the axles as that's where the drain valve is?

In hindsight, I'm guessing it was more like 1500-1600lbs?
Either way, she towed like a dream and within the rating of the hitch and receiver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> That Cummins, she’s just a ____ing machine!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.