cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for feedback on restricted workamper options

doctorjproctor
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings! We are transitioning our caretaker position at Alder Creek Community Forest [sorry, site removed my link...search for it near Canyonville, OR] from a manufactured home to an RV-based contract, with full hookups and wifi.

Given land use laws, we apparently have only two options: (1) A 90-day contract (max allowable per RV per calendar year); or (2) the RV remove its axles and secure to a foundation we supply.

We can imagine challenges with both of these scenarios for workampers, but the land is beautiful and it's possible that workampers may jump at the opportunity.

If you could please offer feedback, I'd sure appreciate; and if you are interested, see the website above for location and background.

Many thanks,

Jim P.
8 REPLIES 8

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I don't know anyone who would wish to remove the axles, unless the RV is an old beater suitable for a hunting/fishing camp.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

doctorjproctor
Explorer
Explorer
All good advice!...thank you, Walaby and esp Y-Guy, so much. Jim P.

Y-Guy
Jim depending on how many you need you might do a combination of the two and find which works better in your situation. Removing the axles of a Class A or any motor home is probably a non-starter, so you'll limit yourself there. Some may prefer a shorter stay until they get to know the situation, coming in blind and having to have axles removed may scare off some too. But after a month others may want to move on, then come back later to do a 90 day stint.

Based on the board and your experience I assume you've looked into any possible exemption for to the land use rules of the area.

With your situation you're going to need to be a bit picky about who you allow to work/stay there, youth protection policies, background checks etc. All of this could make things a challenge. You might reach out to the Oregon State parks and talk/learn from their camp host program, can reach them at the Parks Info Center at 800-551-6949 or park.info@oregon.gov

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im not a workcamper, but those I've talked to, at least here in the Southeast, tend to stay for 90 days or so. Some less. Some even more than that.

I would think you could find someone willing to do that.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

doctorjproctor
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, both! I sure appreciate.

Other input welcome: would a 90 day contract be workable for many of you?

Jim P.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Removing and reinstalling axles isnโ€™t childโ€™s play. Factor in that cost. Where will your store them when removed?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I doubt many would choose option 2. The whole idea of RVs is that you can up and move. If you have to remove the axles and have a foundation, you might as well stick with the manufactured home.

A 90-day limit isn't bad.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Go with option 1. Many RVers don't want to spend an entire season someplace. I'm currently working a gig where RVs have to be moved after 30 days so the owners offer 1 month workamping gigs. Worked out just right for me.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch