cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling around Lake Michigan

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
Heading East from South Dakota and decided to go north/south up to Mackinaw or around west/east around Lake Michigan. Our timeframe is late July. Question is is it worth going up the western side of the lake, go through Mackinaw and south back to Rt. 80 and head east? What else should we consider and things to see? Destination is Philadelphia to the east.

Appreciate the input.
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
14 REPLIES 14

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you take a boat tour of Pictured Rocks, try for a sunny day, and best of all the sunset cruise, to make the colors show up the best.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

dedmiston
Matt_Colie wrote:
When you get to Sault Saint Marie, drive by the lock visitor center and drop someone to go in and look at the board that gives approximate passage times. Take a picture of the board with a phone and go to either camp ground as both are pretty nice. Be back there for the passage. The times on the board are a guess and often off by some.

Arrange to get back there to be in the "peanut gallery" to watch them flush a real ship though the lock.

We took the boat tour through the lock and loved it.

We also took the train tour on the Ontario side. We were there in the fall of 2019 and the train ride through the fall colors was heavenly. We're from CA though, so the leaves are a novelty to us.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
The ship wreck museum at Whitefish Point is out of the way, but a great stop. Worth the diversion.

When you get to Sault Saint Marie, drive by the lock visitor center and drop someone to go in and look at the board that gives approximate passage times. Take a picture of the board with a phone and go to either camp ground as both are pretty nice. Be back there for the passage. The times on the board are a guess and often off by some.

Arrange to get back there to be in the "peanut gallery" to watch them flush a real ship though the lock.

There are three museums in town.
The River of History is good, but is closed Sundays.
The ship Valley Camp is a ship size Museum.
There is a tower that is part of the set, but unless it is no additional cast on the tickets, don't bother.

I haven't been there in a few years, but I can't imagine it has changed very much.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last fall we went up through Wisconsin & into Michigan. Just inside the Michigan state line is a county park, Little Girls Point County Park. Right on the Lake Superior shore. Great little hidden gem. Electric only, no dump nor water fill, but wat a view. Fell it might be worth your look see.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
In 2018 we mostly went around Lake Michigan. From near Chicago to Plymouth, WI to Sturgeon Bay, WI to Escanaba, MI to USFS Au Train, MI near Lake Superior, to USFS Bay View near Sault Ste Marie, to USFS Brevoort near Mackinac Island down into the mid Michigan lower peninsula.

We love the trip.

Crossing the bridge with my 40ft trailer was no big deal.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
2nd on Door County. We stay there each year for two weeks (non pandemic years) and stay at Egg Harbor Campground which has sites for any size rig and full hookups.
Take a tour of Washington Island recently chosen as the best place to retire to.
We are bikers (electric bicycles) and ride all over Door County.
In Mackinaw City stay at Mill Creek. You must have a Pastie that was the bridge builders favorite lunch. Watch the history of how the bridge was built at Mama Mia's Pizza Restaurant upstairs `theatre'.
Take the ferry to Mackinac Island for a day. Rent a horse drawn carriage. No cars on the Island. Tour Grand Hotel if you have some loose money to spend.

I've stayed at Mills Creek, it is a very nice park. BUT, I was advised to stay just over the bridge to the north, IRC a state park. They said it is even nicer, AND, it's a shorter boat ride to the island. This does make it more difficult to tour Mackinaw City in the lower peninsula.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
2nd on Door County. We stay there each year for two weeks (non pandemic years) and stay at Egg Harbor Campground which has sites for any size rig and full hookups.

I will "3rd" this. We are there 3 times a season. Egg Harbor CG is excellent, Mike and Debbie are great hosts. Door County is also sometimes called "Little Cape Cod", is more what Cape Cod was years ago. July and August however are really busy months in Door County, so be prepared for heavy traffic in the small towns, and long waits at restaurants and attractions.

If you are old you will love Door County!

As far as this trip is concerned, I think there are plenty of other places worth seeing that it could be skipped for now! Maybe go another time later in the year when the leaves change!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What a fabulous trip you are planning!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Very much worth it. Especially if you like seeing blue water as far as the eye can see. And lighthouses. I recommend a stop at Palms Book State Park to see the Big Spring. Fayette SP is good if you like history, it has old buildings and artifacts from iron ore processing days. Get some smoked fish along the way, and in Mackinaw City I always hit the local bakery for some pecan rolls and cinnamon bread. Camp there, unhook, drive to Harbor Springs and then north through the tunnel of trees to Cross Village, where you can dine on Polish cuisine at picturesque Legs Inn (at least see the place if you don't eat there). A number of lighthouses are located close to Mackinaw City, by the way. Mackinac Island is touristy but nice; I especially like riding a bike all the way around this island where no automobiles are allowed. Sleeping Bear Dunes, Silver Lake SP, and other spots with lots of sand. Just N of Empire, Bar Lake (more of a pond really) is a nice warm bit of water to swim in... or walk a hundred yards or so out to Lake Michigan for a dip there.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

I will "3rd" this. We are there 3 times a season. Egg Harbor CG is excellent, Mike and Debbie are great hosts. Door County is also sometimes called "Little Cape Cod", is more what Cape Cod was years ago. July and August however are really busy months in Door County, so be prepared for heavy traffic in the small towns, and long waits at restaurants and attractions.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Take it a step further and do the Apostle Islands National Lake Shore on Lake Superior (WI). Then you to Pictures Rocks, then to Mackinac Island (this is a day trip by bike and ferry). Then down along Lake Michigan......Sleeping Bear Dunes, Silver Lake Sand Dunes (either you can drive on the dunes or take one of the tours). And then down to Holland MI.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Take a tour of Washington Island recently chosen as the best place to retire to.
We are bikers (electric bicycles) and ride all over Door County.
In Mackinaw City stay at Mill Creek. You must have a Pastie that was the bridge builders favorite lunch. Watch the history of how the bridge was built at Mama Mia's Pizza Restaurant upstairs `theatre'.
Take the ferry to Mackinac Island for a day. Rent a horse drawn carriage. No cars on the Island. Tour Grand Hotel if you have some loose money to spend.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Sure why not. Plenty to see, are you planning taking I90, no reason to drop down South of where it intersects with I94 just acouple miles North take state 21 East to US 41 Green Bay and out to Door Country. Very popular vacation destination.
Back off the peninsula and head up to the U.P. and Picture Rocks National Lakeshore. You can then cruise on over to Sault Ste Marie.
Roll down I75 to cross the Mack bridge and pick up fudge and taffy to snack on. ??
Down in Dearborn is the Henry Ford Museum.
Take a turn east where I75 runs through I90 and on your way to Cleveland and Rock&Roll Hall of Fame.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The northern route is probably longer but much less traffic and more scenic. If you have the time, a trip to Mackinaw Island is worth it. Lots to see in the UP !