Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Traveling around Lake Michigan
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling around Lake Michigan

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Land Yachters

Philadelphia

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heading East from South Dakota and decided to go north/south up to Mackinaw or around west/east around Lake Michigan. Our timeframe is late July. Question is is it worth going up the western side of the lake, go through Mackinaw and south back to Rt. 80 and head east? What else should we consider and things to see? Destination is Philadelphia to the east.

Appreciate the input.

Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 06:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The northern route is probably longer but much less traffic and more scenic. If you have the time, a trip to Mackinaw Island is worth it. Lots to see in the UP !

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/21 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure why not. Plenty to see, are you planning taking I90, no reason to drop down South of where it intersects with I94 just acouple miles North take state 21 East to US 41 Green Bay and out to Door Country. Very popular vacation destination.
Back off the peninsula and head up to the U.P. and Picture Rocks National Lakeshore. You can then cruise on over to Sault Ste Marie.
Roll down I75 to cross the Mack bridge and pick up fudge and taffy to snack on. ??
Down in Dearborn is the Henry Ford Museum.
Take a turn east where I75 runs through I90 and on your way to Cleveland and Rock&Roll Hall of Fame.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2nd on Door County. We stay there each year for two weeks (non pandemic years) and stay at Egg Harbor Campground which has sites for any size rig and full hookups.
Take a tour of Washington Island recently chosen as the best place to retire to.
We are bikers (electric bicycles) and ride all over Door County.
In Mackinaw City stay at Mill Creek. You must have a Pastie that was the bridge builders favorite lunch. Watch the history of how the bridge was built at Mama Mia's Pizza Restaurant upstairs `theatre'.
Take the ferry to Mackinac Island for a day. Rent a horse drawn carriage. No cars on the Island. Tour Grand Hotel if you have some loose money to spend.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take it a step further and do the Apostle Islands National Lake Shore on Lake Superior (WI). Then you to Pictures Rocks, then to Mackinac Island (this is a day trip by bike and ferry). Then down along Lake Michigan......Sleeping Bear Dunes, Silver Lake Sand Dunes (either you can drive on the dunes or take one of the tours). And then down to Holland MI.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

2nd on Door County. We stay there each year for two weeks (non pandemic years) and stay at Egg Harbor Campground which has sites for any size rig and full hookups.

I will "3rd" this. We are there 3 times a season. Egg Harbor CG is excellent, Mike and Debbie are great hosts. Door County is also sometimes called "Little Cape Cod", is more what Cape Cod was years ago. July and August however are really busy months in Door County, so be prepared for heavy traffic in the small towns, and long waits at restaurants and attractions.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very much worth it. Especially if you like seeing blue water as far as the eye can see. And lighthouses. I recommend a stop at Palms Book State Park to see the Big Spring. Fayette SP is good if you like history, it has old buildings and artifacts from iron ore processing days. Get some smoked fish along the way, and in Mackinaw City I always hit the local bakery for some pecan rolls and cinnamon bread. Camp there, unhook, drive to Harbor Springs and then north through the tunnel of trees to Cross Village, where you can dine on Polish cuisine at picturesque Legs Inn (at least see the place if you don't eat there). A number of lighthouses are located close to Mackinaw City, by the way. Mackinac Island is touristy but nice; I especially like riding a bike all the way around this island where no automobiles are allowed. Sleeping Bear Dunes, Silver Lake SP, and other spots with lots of sand. Just N of Empire, Bar Lake (more of a pond really) is a nice warm bit of water to swim in... or walk a hundred yards or so out to Lake Michigan for a dip there.

Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a fabulous trip you are planning!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Campfire Time wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

I will "3rd" this. We are there 3 times a season. Egg Harbor CG is excellent, Mike and Debbie are great hosts. Door County is also sometimes called "Little Cape Cod", is more what Cape Cod was years ago. July and August however are really busy months in Door County, so be prepared for heavy traffic in the small towns, and long waits at restaurants and attractions.

If you are old you will love Door County!

As far as this trip is concerned, I think there are plenty of other places worth seeing that it could be skipped for now! Maybe go another time later in the year when the leaves change!

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Take a tour of Washington Island recently chosen as the best place to retire to.
We are bikers (electric bicycles) and ride all over Door County.
In Mackinaw City stay at Mill Creek. You must have a Pastie that was the bridge builders favorite lunch. Watch the history of how the bridge was built at Mama Mia's Pizza Restaurant upstairs `theatre'.
Take the ferry to Mackinac Island for a day. Rent a horse drawn carriage. No cars on the Island. Tour Grand Hotel if you have some loose money to spend.

I've stayed at Mills Creek, it is a very nice park. BUT, I was advised to stay just over the bridge to the north, IRC a state park. They said it is even nicer, AND, it's a shorter boat ride to the island. This does make it more difficult to tour Mackinaw City in the lower peninsula.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Traveling around Lake Michigan
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.