cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Owners manual discrepancy.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I witnessed a new RVer back their trailer in campsite.
They lowered the stabilizers before leveling the trailer and then proceeded to raise tounge Jack to obtain level.

I found this odd so walked over and asked the nice gentlemen about this procedure.
Also indicated to him that he should obtain level before dropping the stabilizers.

As new RVers, he showed me a checklist that they followed to a tee that he printed off from owners manual and other literature that came with new trailer.
I saw it with my own eyes but insisted that that part of his checklist needed to be edited and that I was certain.

Anyone heard of this reverse procedure?
8 REPLIES 8

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
GrandpaKip wrote:
I just canโ€™t imagine why you would want to put that much stress on the frame.

Especially if it's a Lippert / LCI Frame.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I just canโ€™t imagine why you would want to put that much stress on the frame.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
It's nobody's business how he sets up.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not wrong, that's actually a procedure recommended by some mfrs. Get the TT slightly nose-down, then drop the rear stabilizers. As you bring up the tongue to level the TT, you're bringing some of the weight off of the suspension, so when you drop the front jacks the trailer is more solid than it otherwise might be.

Obviously you don't want to jack the wheels all the way off the ground, so the TT has to be only slightly nose down when you drop the rear jacks.

Also, most mfrs will say to level the TT before you run the slides out, not before you drop the jacks.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone heard of this reverse procedure?"

Nope. Sounds crazy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:
Sounds wrong to me.
But then again I saw a trailer backed into an uphill site this past weekend. The site leveled off for the trailer but not the towing vehicle. Owner did not disconnect. Did not chock any tires. And had the rear wheels of the SUV almost lifted off the ground with the electric tongue jack. So maybe.... most of us are doing it wrong?

That guy probably thought everyone else was wasting their time by disconnecting lol.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds wrong to me.
But then again I saw a trailer backed into an uphill site this past weekend. The site leveled off for the trailer but not the towing vehicle. Owner did not disconnect. Did not chock any tires. And had the rear wheels of the SUV almost lifted off the ground with the electric tongue jack. So maybe.... most of us are doing it wrong?
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
Makes no sense at all.Very difficult to raise the front with the rear stabilizers down. If you try to lower the front with the stabilizers down the jack will just come off the ground. Not only does it not make sense, it wouldn't work.