cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water Heater not lighting

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Atwood DSI water heater(gas only, no pilot) model G6A-8E. Not lighting. When I turn it on, the default light below the switch comes on, then there is one click and it goes out for a few seconds then comes back on-this happens for each click. The igniter used to click several times rapidly to light the gas but this does not happen now. It worked perfectly a couple weeks ago, but then it stopped. I checked the fuses, cleaned all terminals, put it back together and it worked. But only tried it one time. Last week at a CG turned it on and nothing. Replaced the igniter, but same results. Checked the fuses-they're ok. Smell gas. Can these be lit manually? Thought about replacing the board, but hate to spend a couple hundred bucks and that not be the problem. Any ideas???
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL
8 REPLIES 8

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Success!! (thought my post had disappeared) Had to replace the circuit board. Really wish it would have been one of the cheap fixes. Watched a youtube video that said start with the cheap things and work your way up. Would have been awesome if it would have been a corroded grounding screw. But anyway it's fixed. Thanks for the advice. Gary

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
OP says he smells gas, that would indicate power and ground to circuit board.
Yes the ground connection that is located for the gas valve hidgen behind the gas valve for the gas valve is a problem area. I connected the ground off circuit board to the gas valve.
OP: have you checked the high tension lead for any nicks or other signs of damage?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe Larry cad has the magic answer.
I experienced similar symptoms as you. Replaced every electrical part of my water heater and followed the Atwood troubleshooting guide multiple times. After installing the third New circuit board I also spent extra time making sure the ground was connected, metal to metal with a good tight screw.
Now everything works as designed.
I tested the continuity of the ground numerous times and it always tested good so kept looking for something else. But in the end I think it was the ground.
Here is a good resource for information.
https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.com/
Good luck.

larry_cad
Explorer
Explorer
There is a ground wire from the board that is attached to the water heater frame with a small screw. That screw frequently gets rusted and/or corroded and won't make reliable contact between the wire and the frame. Take out the screw and clean the wire surface and the frame surface and reassemble.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are several possible causes.. That pattern however sounds strange.

Atwood says to disconnect a RED WIRE from the ECO when winterizing
That would set the fault light but the cicks would not happen

Sounds to me like the fault light is programmed different from my Atwood (It only came on after the control board was assured it was not lit)

It usually tires three times than faults.. But each control board model is differnt,.

Things to check
The gas valve.. is it getting voltage and drawing current?
is the valve clicking
The Spark gap, Do you hear the sparks?
IS gas flowing (Oriface can get clogged. a spider loves the smell of gas)
Spark gap
Then it gets expensive
I had to replace control board.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are full(but rv is on shore power)- all the connections are tight and clean-I've checked and rechecked them. :h :h

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check the thermal fuse connections? This is located next the the thermostat/ECO. connections are crimped but not that great.
Here is a much better board and better price then OEM.
Dinosaur Electronics

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
How's your battery?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman