cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Metal carport RV shelter

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey! I am looking for input on what size metal building/RV carport to buy for my 2008 Winnebago Outlook 31c. The spec sheet says it has roughly the following dimensions:

31.5L
11.5H
8.5W

The one I have speced out is

36L
18W
12H (leg length, higher in center)

I was thinking of going shorter for less overhang on front and back mainly to save the space but was afraid I would regret it. For those who have these, how did you decide on what size to get?

Thanks!
2008 Winnebago Outlook 31C
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed
26 REPLIES 26

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
ron.dittmer wrote:
You know the how it is with boats and "2foot-itis".

My advice is to make the building as large as your property can accommodate, within reason of coarse. Build it bigger than your rig needs because life changes. Suddenly it's too small and you'll be kicking yourself over your decision to make it just big enough. Maybe you'll never own a larger motor home, but later want to store other things inside, if not for yourself, then for family & friends.

/\ This /\

You'll never say "Wish I had gone smaller", but you might say "Wish I had gone bigger".
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all, I went ahead and ordered it today. It is a as big as I have room for and I think I will be glad I didnt go smaller.
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

armadillo_17
Explorer
Explorer
My 2007 Wiinnebago Acess, resides in a 30โ€™ x12โ€™ โ€œAll Steelโ€ carport....a few inches of front are out. But that seems work...wider would have been nice.
Jon in S/W Missouri
2007 Winnebago Class C
2012 Jeep Patriot (Manual Transmission)

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said, go way bigger than initial need. When I changes MH, needed 3 more feet. Mfg Carolina carport would not sell me 5โ€™(comes in 5โ€™ increments) but would be glad to sell me 20โ€™, shortest they sell, and I use what I needed!!. Ended up stick building what I needed and got matching metal roofing locally.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't go longer, than maybe you can go wider? Make it as big as you can afford. I had a 32 foot greyhawk, and I went 14 x 40 feet. This gave me some extra room to put a slide out, but also room to add some long rows of 2x10 shelving all the way down for some much needed storage. If you can, bring the metal all the way to the ground where the sun hits it. I added full metal to the ground in back,and eastern side and half way down the other side. Very little sun touched the rig. Plus it's long enough for that 40 foot rig I'm thinking about.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks GottaRunGottaCamp. Still deciding on replacing or raising an repairing. Due to damage from a falling tree branch. I would need to install as it has to be modified due to driveway slope in two direction, so could probably order from anywhere.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
The shelter is going up in SC. A little town called Jefferson. That would be about 3.5 hours from Henderson NC.
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think there is a manufacturer of these structures in Henderson, NC. Not a re-seller or installer but a manufacturer. Don't know how close that is to you

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
A standard size from our supplier was 14' x 36' which is what I went with for 31' fifth wheel. 12 ft. side walls is plenty high for 13.5' trailer. The ends do get wet in blowing rain but roof stays dry and shaded. Am able to extend my slides while trailer is under cover. One slide is 40". Pretty happy as the storage is trailer specific.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
I assume these places are just resellers of the same units, good point.
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
GTO66 wrote:
Mine is 30X12 and its been up over 20 years, Needs to be higher instead of raising it I'm thinking of replacing it. Any advice on a good company in the Tampa bay area where a kit could be purchased?

I'm a project manager for an industrial contractor and buy approx. two of these per year for customers and never use the same company, start your internet search and watch for deliver dates, the last one I order had a 10 week delivery and they called me 4 weeks later to add another 4 weeks to make it 14 week delivery.
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is 30X12 and its been up over 20 years, Needs to be higher instead of raising it I'm thinking of replacing it. Any advice on a good company in the Tampa bay area where a kit could be purchased?

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
You know the how it is with boats and "2foot-itis".

My advice is to make the building as large as your property can accommodate, within reason of coarse. Build it bigger than your rig needs because life changes. Suddenly it's too small and you'll be kicking yourself over your decision to make it just big enough. Maybe you'll never own a larger motor home, but later want to store other things inside, if not for yourself, then for family & friends.

BigCanoe
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have the space to go any bigger so I think I will stick with what I have! I could downsize the RV to fit if its too small ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Honda Fit 5-speed