cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generator update and install

All10star
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought an older RV and need to get a generator installed in the currently empty location. The original was a generac modal, an Onan 4000 will easily fit in the same location. However I have no idea what would go into fabricating a mounting platform or bracket. Does anyone have a ball park idea about what all should be done to install the new one? How much would labor run to make it happen?
6 REPLIES 6

tiffy2000
Explorer
Explorer
My Onan 5500 is bolted to angle iron which is bolted to the framework of the generator compartment

All10star
Explorer
Explorer
Ok thanks for the information

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Most Genset installs from the OEM have a Steel reinforced floor in the Genset compartment. It will hold any Genset that will fit in that compartment. The Genset maker does not supply the floor mount in the Motorhome. All you have to do is make sure when you slide in an Onan, that the ventilation is not obstructed by the Floor steel supports. Any wood can be cut out to get the required ventilation. Make sure you use the Onan muffler. Do not use an after market muffler to get it "quieter". After market mufflers not designed for a RV Genset will cause the Genset to run hotter than normal. Doug

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A good welding shop can easily handle your request.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider solar to cut down or eliminate the generator use.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Easiest is to always use like replacements however I suspect the change won't be that hard.

Start by downloading the installation manuals for both generators.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times