cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is There a 24’ Version of These RVs available?

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever seen an approximately 24ft version of these RVs around?

It would be great if it was on a Sprinter 3500 chassis or something pretty easy to get parts for globally.

Also with a manual transmission, and 4wd but I realize that’s probably a pipe dream.

For interior layout, I’d imagine sleeping over cab, a large kitchen all the way back, wet bath and couch style lounging areas taking up the rest.

Tortuga

(Resized image to fix the page flow.)
19 REPLIES 19

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
If you want this kind of thing at a lower price point, an approach I have always wanted to do is the 4x4 conversion of a short class C. There is a fellow here in Fletcher NC, Chris, that does conversions for the Ford E series. https://www.ujointoffroad.com/ Depending on how rough you wanted to be off road, you would have to choose the RV carefully for a sturdy build.

His YouTube page has a lot of short videos of finished jobs:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ujointoffroad/videos
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trust me when I tell you it's not the worst ever.

But .. it's close
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
This stuff gets very tricky compared to standard RV life.

It seems like all the non-Man based overlanders on pickup truck bodies are tiny with little in the way of systems.

My Arctic Fox TC is a better living environment than most all of them.

I’m actually trying to find just a little more space than the Arctic Fox has, but not break the bank too badly. Yes, the $500,000 overlander is out of my range. Ha ha.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
folivier wrote:
Here you go: https://www.tigervehicles.com

Interesting concept, however the company shows no new ones even available, and a nationwide search on RVTrader shows no used available -- any year, make, or model -- none.

To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, it looks as though access to the cockpit seats from the house portion should be an Olympic sport, and vice-versa. I think for my money, I'd just as soon buy a nice Lance TC and mount it on the truck of my choice. That way, if I wanted 4wd or a standard shift, it would certainly be available.

Am I missing something? I know those vehicles probably cost a heap more than the same configuration in a truck/TC set-up, but of course the website tells us nothing regarding pricing.

Happy travels to all.

And what about this idea, actually.

I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with my truck camper and its frame mounts. The mounts, the truck bed frame, all tear apart all the time for me.

Do some people more permanently just bolt truck campers to the frame the way the bed is. using doublers and backing plates, instead of the whole weak link (in my experience) of standard frame mounts and fast guns? My frame mounts last about a year of full timing typically before they shred apart.

Or: would a more permanent bolting down to the frame cause some other problem I’m not aware of?

Class Cs like the one in this thread seem permanently bolted on.

Maybe permanently bolting a truck camper on with some rubber spacers to take up any really brutal bounce and twist?

Depends on the truck youre mounting the camper on,newer Chevys from about 05 and later have frames that dont twist at all,there are some vids on YT proving this.

Besides Earth roamer I havent seen any of those camper truck styles,
Some people build their own like this

https://youtu.be/Dt3T_DRVno4

I bolted my TC right on the bed box and removed back window in truck cab for easy crawl thru,btw.

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
Just saw this on Seattle Craig’s list, a little pricey but don’t know what your budget is.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/d/seattle-new-custom-overland-expedition/7317585909.html

Thanks for sharing the link.

A nice resource of info! :C
1998 FWC Grandby
1994 Ford Bronco 5.0 XL 4X4
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Just saw this on Seattle Craig’s list, a little pricey but don’t know what your budget is.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/rvs/d/seattle-new-custom-overland-expedition/7317585909.html

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
HadEnough wrote:
Wow! Thank you for the info on the tiger and especially the links.

I had thought they seemed overpriced until I looked at the options list. They really aren’t adding much to the cost and seem like a fair company.

You can order the standard list of features or add some or (at least I did in 2006; different owners now) delete some. I deleted microwave, air conditioning, generator, and TV. Spent my money instead on 4WD, 8.1L engine, and Allison transmission, all of which were options at the time. No regrets on any of these choices. However, newbies beware. I had owned a similar 4WD RV for 15 years before buying the Tiger, so I knew what I used and what was a waste of space for me. Your needs/wishes will undoubtedly differ from mine.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Thank you for the info on the tiger and especially the links.

I had thought they seemed overpriced until I looked at the options list. They really aren’t adding much to the cost and seem like a fair company.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
I am the original and current owner a 2006 Tiger, have driven it for 93K miles so far. I am not full-time and it is not my daily driver. See signature for its description. This is my second 4x4 chassis mount RV. Fabulous vehicle for the dirt back roads of the Western US, which I explore whenever possible. I don't deliberately seek out snow, but some Tiger owners do and you can ask them about snow travel.

I am elderly and disabled now (back troubles and very limited walking), but I can still handle the Tiger and all tasks involved in travel with it. It is easy even for me to get from living area to driver's seat via the pass through; I am not sure whether going the other direction (uphill from cab into living area) is possible for me, but a more agile person could do it.

A Tiger with an extended cab can be about 24 feet long; my regular cab model (like La Tortuga in your original post photo) is just under 20 feet. Tigers are currently built on any truck chassis which meets current Tiger factory standards. Sprinter is not one of these. Ram has come and gone over the years; today it is gone. See Specs & Pricing on the webpage for chassis info.

Tigers are wonderful, but their current website is not. You have to dig down with few clues along the way to get to Specs and Pricing. https://www.tigervehicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Tiger-Adventure-Vehicles-Flyer-Apr-2020-F.p...

Some info is available on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsKf-GQpHYjQdjKy3H1vCSQ. I have enjoyed seeing the photos of the newest Tigers.

You don't see new ones around because #1: They are built only on order and #2: They are sold new only from the factory. Once in a while they have one whose deal apparently fell through or which they took as a trade-in, and you'll see those under the Inventory tab on the website. Also, not many Tigers exist. In about 30 years they have produced just over 1300 Tigers. The only model currently in production is the Bengal.

My personal experience and that of many other Tiger folks with contacting the factory is that by phone is best. Currently, they seem to ignore any messages sent from the website form.

There is a Tiger Motorhome Owners group on Facebook. A large percentage of the members are shoppers, not owners. Most participants are helpful and friendly and love their Tigers. As with any group, there are also some whiners. This group is a good source of all sorts of Tiger info and sometimes used Tigers are advertised for sale.

There is another Tiger group on Tapatalk; I find it difficult or annnoying to use and don't go there much any more.

There is a trend in truck campers mounted on flatbed chassis, but most of those have no pass-through. One possibility you might want to investigate is Phoenix Custom Campers

I hope that this info helps you with your search.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
HadEnough wrote:

I’ve had a lot of bad experiences with my truck camper and its frame mounts. The mounts, the truck bed frame, all tear apart all the time for me.

Do some people more permanently just bolt truck campers to the frame the way the bed is. using doublers and backing plates, instead of the whole weak link (in my experience) of standard frame mounts and fast guns? My frame mounts last about a year of full timing typically before they shred apart.

Or: would a more permanent bolting down to the frame cause some other problem I’m not aware of?

I am not sure why you are having problems. I have had no issues with years of use for my truck frame or mounts. Mine are Torqlift frame brackets. They are very well engineered, heavy 3/8" steel and well made. Fastguns are spring loaded and are designed to give and flex with heavy bumps and stresses. Perhaps you are greatly overtightening the fastguns. For the same reason, it would not make sense to weld or permanently attach the truck camper. The whole idea is to allow some give to avoid any damage of the truck or mounts. If you do not want a removeable truck camper, then there are different options including the example you gave.

EarthRoamer is another option made for serious off road use. Don't plan on getting one without spending serious money.
https://earthroamer.com/

Yeah, I’ve had this discussion on here a million times. It doesn’t matter it it’s Torklift of anyone. The design is bad. They are cantilevered with a flat bar assist and this cantilever takes the whole load once the Flat bar welds part from the rest of the Torklift frame mounts.

It’s just how it is. Happens continuously. It’s not a good design and had nothing to do with the size of the steel tubing they use. It’s bad geometry that concentrates the entire load into tiny areas, breaking the welds all the time.

Just not a good system for heavy users, despite the overwhelming number of people on here who love them.

I’m more interested in real, actual mounting this time. Not just sliding it in the back and kinda holding it in place with springs and bolt on frame mounts. I want to mount it TO the frame.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
HadEnough wrote:

I am not sure why you are having problems. I have had no issues with years of use for my truck frame or mounts. Mine are Torqlift frame brackets. They are very well engineered, heavy 3/8" steel and well made. Fastguns are spring loaded and are designed to give and flex with heavy bumps and stresses. Perhaps you are greatly overtightening the fastguns. For the same reason, it would not make sense to weld or permanently attach the truck camper. The whole idea is to allow some give to avoid any damage of the truck or mounts. If you do not want a removeable truck camper, then there are different options including the example you gave.

EarthRoamer is another option made for serious off road use. Don't plan on getting one without spending serious money.
https://earthroamer.com/

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
HadEnough wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
folivier wrote:

Interesting concept, however the company shows no new ones even available, and a nationwide search on RVTrader shows no used available -- any year, make, or model -- none.

To me, and correct me if I'm wrong, it looks as though access to the cockpit seats from the house portion should be an Olympic sport, and vice-versa. I think for my money, I'd just as soon buy a nice Lance TC and mount it on the truck of my choice. That way, if I wanted 4wd or a standard shift, it would certainly be available.

Am I missing something? I know those vehicles probably cost a heap more than the same configuration in a truck/TC set-up, but of course the website tells us nothing regarding pricing.

Happy travels to all.

And what about this idea, actually.

Class Cs like the one in this thread seem permanently bolted on.

Maybe permanently bolting a truck camper on with some rubber spacers to take up any really brutal bounce and twist?

Good points and questions.

I'm guessing that going to a flatbed set up (footprint of camper would be the external width of camper) would alleviate much of the stress points.

Companies like Four Wheel campers and Alaskan campers have expanded their inventory to include this design set up.

BTW; I'm currently having the same/similar issues with my (Four Wheel camper) camper mounts. The mounting surface is slowly flexing/warping at the mount point.
1998 FWC Grandby
Sky's ORD 6" Lift / Sterling 10.25 Dually 5.13 Gear Detroit Locker / '99.5 Front F-350 Leaf Springs at Rear / HMMWVtires

EYEMLOST
Explorer
Explorer
folivier wrote:

Thanks for sharing the link. :C
1998 FWC Grandby

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I see a few of them but no new ones.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad