cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Redwoods Question

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We got a spot at Ancient Redwoods RV Park, thanks to this Forum. Now what do we not want to miss while there. Thanks so much. Betsy.
Betsy
12 REPLIES 12

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
They resurfaced the road all the way past the turn off to Albee Creek campground so the road to Honeydew is not nearly as rough as it used to be. If you have a dog with you, remember to keep it away from the Eel River due to the summer algae bloom.

Lady Bird Johnson grove is a long ways away from Ancient Redwoods, much closer to Orick and Prarie Creek Redwoods and the Newton Drury scenic biway..considered by many as the most scenic redwoods anywhere. Both locations have wonderful walks and hikes.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Have lunch and walk around the community of Fortuna. Scotia is interesting too.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
JT wrote:
The RV park that the OP referred to (and named correctly) is Ancient Redwoods RV Park, not "Giant".

http://ancientredwoods.net/

Also, a note on Mattole Rd. out to the campground and beach; it's a *very* rough ride. The road is narrow, mostly bond shaker potholes, and with many "ups and downs".

Thanks for pointing that out. I was mistaken.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

JT
Explorer
Explorer
The RV park that the OP referred to (and named correctly) is Ancient Redwoods RV Park, not "Giant".

http://ancientredwoods.net/

Also, a note on Mattole Rd. out to the campground and beach; it's a *very* rough ride. The road is narrow, mostly bond shaker potholes, and with many "ups and downs".

dedmiston
jdc1 wrote:
The blackberries! I picked a ton of them. The wife made a blackberry cobbler. Was that GREAT? You would love it.

I was thinking the same thing. The berries up there are phenomenal. We've eaten our way through Humboldt County until our teeth were purple.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:
We got a spot at Ancient Redwoods RV Park, thanks to this Forum. Now what do we not want to miss while there. Thanks so much. Betsy.

We just got back Monday May 3 from there. I don't think they call it "Ancient". I think they call it "Giant".

There's a lot to do in the park, including walking down to the River and Movie night. We also drove out Highway 36 to Ruth Lake and went to the "Giant Tree" at 40.34973364899088, -123.99245074621633 on Mattole Rd.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
mittshel wrote:

We just got back Monday May 3 from there. I don't think they call it "Ancient". I think they call it "Giant".

There's a lot to do in the park, including walking down to the River and Movie night. We also drove out Highway 36 to Ruth Lake and went to the "Giant Tree" at 40.34973364899088, -123.99245074621633 on Mattole Rd.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
profdant139 wrote:
Avenue of the Giants, of course. Matole Road is pretty. If you want to take a long day trip to the coast, Matole Beach is great.

If you happen to hit the redwoods when the blackberries are ripe, you are in luck. Late July to mid August, I think.

Roosevelt Grove, and the whole Bull Flat area, are wonderful.

The blackberries! I picked a ton of them. The wife made a blackberry cobbler. Was that GREAT? You would love it.

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Stop at Lady Bird Johnson Grove.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
For sure visit the Visitors Center near the Burlington Campground,it is very informative on all aspects of the Redwoods,
Then look at This map it will tell you all about the Avenue Of the Giants,you can download it or have a copy sent to you,that was my choice.

That website has a lot of information on all the things to see on the Avenue Of the Giants.

You can go to Myers Flat to the drive thru tree or for a adventure just go about 20 miles north to the Victorian Village of Ferndale,the main street has antique stores, art galleries, and specialty shops,quite a place.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Avenue of the Giants, of course. Matole Road is pretty. If you want to take a long day trip to the coast, Matole Beach is great.

If you happen to hit the redwoods when the blackberries are ripe, you are in luck. Late July to mid August, I think.

Roosevelt Grove, and the whole Bull Flat area, are wonderful.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Founders Grove is excellent. The Visitors Center has a lot of information. There is a variety of groves, river access, trails, etc to enjoy.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob