Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: 24 V Solar Panel(s)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > 24 V Solar Panel(s)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

New Member

Joined: 07/07/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/06/21 08:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:


no thats what I mean though, if you can fit two or three pannels on there why stop at a 200 watt? a 350 isnt much bigger and two of them would be better than three 200watt panels then if you need a third you can add it later. down in the staits whats the difference between a 200 and 325 -350 down there 30 bucks? its only about 50 bucks up here. bang for your buck it just seams a better option.
Are you listening? I specifically gave the panel. That's what I'm interested in. Is it a good idea or not. I never asked for opinions of other panels and don't feel like getting into a minutiae of everything solar discussion.

...........................................

At this point I'm thinking of buying two 24v Rich Solar panels, running new wires to an additional controller and calling it a day. I have plenty of room for another controller (already have two), but don't have room for bigger roof panels. Not taking off the existing 170 watt panel would give me 570 watts on the roof and a 100 watt portable. Money, within reason, is not a problem.

OR add three 100 watt Renogy panels @ $109 a panel (one on a tilt mount), run wires to the Victron 100/20 controller already in place for the Renogy portable (Vmp and Imp are nearly identical). I would then have 470 watts on the roof and 100 in a portable if needed. Perhaps I should just stick with 12v.

It's my SIL's 70th birthday this weekend. After that we take the camper to the North Shore for four nights, biking, hiking and mushroom hunting, then babysit our two grandkids for another three days. When we get back on May 17th I'll have made a decision. I'll check in to see if there are any other opinions.

Perry


2018 Escape 5.0
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/21 04:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re one on front one on rear.
When one panel is shaded and the other not
Depending on the panels (And I do not know ANY panel company well enough to say how good they are) Bad things can happen.


Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times


pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/21 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Re one on front one on rear.
When one panel is shaded and the other not
Depending on the panels (And I do not know ANY panel company well enough to say how good they are) Bad things can happen.


Hi,

What bad things happen?


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/21 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perry,

You may want to look for panels that have by pass diodes between each and every cell.

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

New Member

Joined: 07/07/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Perry,

You may want to look for panels that have by pass diodes between each and every cell.
I'm having a hard time finding panels that fit, much less pass diodes between each and every cell. I'm constricted by less than 64" long and/or less than 24-25" wide.

My 170 panel, when in the sun, does just fine. I'm thinking 350 watts is overkill for our needs, but as we all know, needs change.

What panels have diodes between each cell?

Interesting read on bypass diodes.

Perry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/07/21 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PerryB67 wrote:

I'm having a hard time finding panels that fit, much less pass diodes between each and every cell. I'm constricted by less than 64" long and/or less than 24-25" wide.

My 170 panel, when in the sun, does just fine. I'm thinking 350 watts is overkill for our needs, but as we all know, needs change.

What panels have diodes between each cell?


Perry


My Unisolar ones do--but they are no longer in production.

Here is a link to such panels. https://review.solar/ae-solar-smart-hot-spot-free-mono-series/

FWC

The Wilderness

Senior Member

Joined: 09/12/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Perry,

You may want to look for panels that have by pass diodes between each and every cell.



This is a wild goose chase. Almost no manufacturer does this, and for good reason, as we explained to you in the other thread about this.....

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/07/21 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PerryB67 wrote:


Are you listening? I specifically gave the panel. That's what I'm interested in. Is it a good idea or not. I never asked for opinions of other panels and don't feel like getting into a minutiae of everything solar discussion.

...........................................

Perry


maybe instead of getting ignorant you should have worded the question a bit more clear, I read "I am thinking", not "I am getting" so for your original question, go with the 200's instead of the 100's also if your not going to jump down my throat I would also sugest you look for a split cell design panel as you said your going to be camping in the shade and they are the most efficient in shading.

Steve


2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

New Member

Joined: 07/07/2017

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:



maybe instead of getting ignorant you should have worded the question a bit more clear, I read "I am thinking", not "I am getting" so for your original question, go with the 200's instead of the 100's also if your not going to jump down my throat I would also sugest you look for a split cell design panel as you said your going to be camping in the shade and they are the most efficient in shading.

Steve
I suggest, not "sugest", you look up the definition of the word "ignorant" and then consider the context you chose to use "ignorant". PM me if you wish more discussion on this subject.

With more watts on the roof, and 24v to gather sun longer in the morning and evening, a 24v panel makes more sense to me than a 12v split cell design. YMMV. Our panels (two 24v 200w and one 12v 170w) would be situated in the front, middle, and rear of the camper. Location on the roof also helps with shading.

Enjoy,

Perry

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perry,

The total voltage of the array is determined by the solar panel of the lowest voltage rating. from: https://solarpanelsvenue.com/mixing-solar-panels/

I would sell the 170 watt panel.

AMsolar has a panel that is 26 inches with a tilting kit.

https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panels/11s-tlt-zs190p

They have other panel configurations that are is skinny as 13.5 inches (including tilt kit)

* This post was edited 05/08/21 09:45am by pianotuna *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > 24 V Solar Panel(s)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.