Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: New Full Body Paint Job
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Full Body Paint Job

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
SDcampowneroperator

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic exterior upgrade. Looks brand new, up to date and with new roof and interior should be a viable unit for many years to come.
We are in the same pickle- to replace cracked faded graphics or paint? Our 09 Carriage Cameo is looking aged. with over 50k miles on it the skirting has road chips, In this forum we did find a furum member supplier of new graphics exactly like factory to replace the old, and bought them. I am troubled to work on do the work to install them, or forgo them and paint.
Trouble with that is the walls and skirting will still show age and fading. It will have new graphics, weathered between. You must have seen the same issue which confirmed your decision to do full body paint.
Your Hitchhiker, our Carriage and many other units are built to last, their exterior apperance is not equal to the effects of age and road debris.
Question 1 is cost, wheather its worthwhile to strip graphics and do such prep as can be done before, or getting the pros in the paint shop to do it. There is no question that upgrading what you and we have is lesser cost than a new unit. A $ xx paint job is lessthan a $ XXXX new unit that wont fair better some years done the road.
Question 2 is how to evade the 10 year old unit police? Or are you- like us - avoid the places with age and type of unit who restrict unit age or class ?

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/21 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great but have you noticed any differance in staying cool with the black?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

scottandgaye

Allen, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Looks great but have you noticed any differance in staying cool with the black?

We just had it done over the winter (actually, between Labor Day and Thanksgiving). So, we have only taken it out a few times. The hottest was in Big Bend NP over Spring Break. It did get up to 103 one day, but no, we really didn't notice much in the way of heat build up. We will see this summer when we take it to the Tetons and then down to Durango, CO. I'll post an update on whether it gets hot or not.

Scott

2020 Ford F-350 LWB DRW PSD Platinum
2012 Hitchhiker Champagne 36LKRSB

scottandgaye

Allen, TX

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 03:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rug wrote:

Mike does a great job.

You need to post it on the NuWa owners forum.

Thanks. I finally figured out how to host photos and link them so I posted it on the NuWa forum yesterday. I also sent a picture of it to Mike Mitchell and he responded with a very nice email about how he loves it when HitchHiker owners take such pride in their coaches. Shame they no longer build new units.

Scott

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/21 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look great! NU WA is one of the worst for decals peeling.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 07:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I received an estimate from Mike based on description and photos of my 30 foot trailer. He estimates the cost would be around $9500 for full body paint. I imagine this does not include custom colors and graphics like the OP had done on his.

I am thinking I probably will have it done, either by him or someone closer to where the trailer is now. After watching his video and seeing the OP's trailer pictures I really like his work so it may well be worth the drive there and back.

I agree that it is a whole lot of money but as already mentioned, you cannot purchase a new trailer these days that is anywhere near the quality of mine and some others for that kind of money.
By the way, in all my years of traveling, I have only been asked once, at check-in, what the age of my rig was.

That age rule is just used to keep obviously run down rigs out of the campground. If your rig looks good and is well cared for I don't know of any campground owner who will turn down your business.[emoticon]
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That paint is absolutely fantastic. Those older gorgeous rigs are worth it. But please don't paint over beautiful wood on the inside. I think that would be tragic.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 70 Nights

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JKJavelin wrote:

That paint is absolutely fantastic. Those older gorgeous rigs are worth it. But please don't paint over beautiful wood on the inside. I think that would be tragic.
JK

Agree on the older rigs being worth it and also on not painting the inside! I do not like the current trend in painting the insides white. Ugh!

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

. . . I agree that it is a whole lot of money but as already mentioned, you cannot purchase a new trailer these days that is anywhere near the quality of mine and some others for that kind of money.
By the way, in all my years of traveling, I have only been asked once, at check-in, what the age of my rig was.

That age rule is just used to keep obviously run down rigs out of the campground. If your rig looks good and is well cared for I don't know of any campground owner who will turn down your business.[emoticon]
Barney

Agree on both counts. We didn't go full body paint, but did have new laminated high quality decals applied, costly, but probably a third the price. The point is that it's worth maintaining a well built rig rather than buying new with how the current industry builds.

We too have never been asked on the age of our rig.

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/21 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beautiful!! We considered doing the same with our 2005 HH, NuWa made good 5ers. In our case we elected to buy a Vilano through the old NuWa Kansas RV center (they are wonderful) because of newer bells and whistles. I plan on going your route with our current rig 10yrs down the road…

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Full Body Paint Job
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.