cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for a noob...

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings everyone! For the first time, I will be picking up my new truck camper in a couple of weeks. Since I don't know what I don't know, I'm reaching out to you more experienced truck campers. I'd like to hear your recommendations of what I will need to have when I arrive to load, secure, and return home with my camper?

I currently have turn buckles, and was wondering if putting down a stall mat between the truck bed and camper would provide a "cushion" and non skid surface for the camper? Other than these, I can't think of anything else, which is why I'd appreciate any sage advice you all may offer.

BTW, should it be important to know, my truck is a Ford F 550 with a flatbed.

Thanks in advance!!
16 REPLIES 16

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
You bought the right truck for the camper. The first thing lots of folks get wrong. I've used Torquelift, chains, and turn buckles for as long as I've had my setup. One thing I did do was get stainless steel chain connectors. I bought BIG turnbuckles and they're aluminum. Get a good quality blue drinking water hose so you don't get so much plastic taste in your water connection. It's a Ford so getting power to the TC through your pigtail is available. My truck a cube relay was required to be installed next to the fuse panel under the hood. research how yours works. Also, one the best things to do is get a smart solenoid and connect a 4 gauge from your alternator to your TC batteries for much better charging. I would get at least a 300 watt solar system installed with an MPPT controller. You can go from there how you want with batteries and other improvements. A 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter is a great thing to have for running your 120 volt appliances. Paper Plates, plastic ware, baby wipes, a couple GOOD camp chairs, ziploc bags. You can build a pretty good list. I kind of concentrated on things for the truck and camper. For other stuff, just get what you like at home and see how it fits in for your travel style and before long, you'll have a good idea of what works. Best wishes on your soon to be travels...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wow, nice!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
The truck is a Ford F550 flatbed and the camper is an Eagle Cap 1160.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good luck!
So what kinda camper is it?

mt-ed
Explorer
Explorer
WOW!!!! You all have really offered so much valuable information. As advised, I was planning to video the "walk through". Regrettably, I cannot stay onsite for even a night. My trip alone will be 10 hrs. each way, and I cannot stay away that long as I have livestock and other responsibilities I must get back to, and I'm concerned about the minimum time I'll have to take off.

I will apply your ideas, they were exactly what I was hoping for!!!

Thanks so much again....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Stall mat or rubber bed mat, necessity almost on a steel bed.
Presume your flatbed has continuous tie down rails or similar so you can anchor the camper as needed?
Some sort of spring loaded device on tie downs? Maybe not 100% necessary for a short trip home, but you may over stress the tie downs on the camper if you lash it down hard.
Does the camper have dually extensions on the front jacks? Are they wide enough to clear your flatbed?
Is the camper longer than the flatbed or do you have rear swing out dually jack mounts for the rear as well on the camper?

Do you have a way to block the front of the camper, aft, if cannot load it all the way forward (note, you were not specific about the dimensions or style of your flatbed at all)?

Will the camper clear the truck roof? (Again, don't know anything about the truck bed)
Will the camper get up high enough to get onto the flatbed? Got blocks and/or a way to shore the camper up if you need to block it up?
Light plug extension or plans for hooking up lights?

Since you also don't mention the model or height of camper and model of truck, know that you could be approaching 13' tall with your combo.

That's about it for the minimum to get it on your truck and down the road safely.

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you accounted for steps to get into the camper once loaded?

Bring extra ratchet straps in case the tiedowns/turnbuckles don't work out on the trip home.

Know what tire pressure you need when carrying the camper. Know the height of your loaded rig.

As noted above, planning to camp the first night in the dealer lot can be a benefit to try out refer, stove, heater, plumbing, review notes, etc. Will dealer fill the propane tank?

Research truck camper loading checklists now and plan to use one every time.

Enjoy.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Joe_Glidewell
Explorer
Explorer
I also hauled my first TC home on a flatbed. The items that would have been most helpful to have was short lengths of chain (2'-3') and shackles that fit the turnbuckles you have. I measured prior to mounting and thought my turnbuckles would reach but I was short on the two rear tie down points. I rigged it with ratchet straps until I could reach a store and buy some chain and shackles. Otherwise no problems for the 200 mile ride home. Good luck.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"but the walk thru is very important."

Video the walk through. Practice saying "slow down" and "say that again" to the salesperson EVERY time you don't understand.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
For flatbed you will need custom ties, so have arrangements to do it.
With complexity of campers, there is no way to check it all even on 2-3 hr walk thru and that is why reputable RV dealers have camping sites on their lots and allow customers to spend 2 nights with technician on call.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Lance has a different connector for going to 7 pin for lights, make sure you have a pigtail to convert it or get the plug setup beforehand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtJtt6a0XXI&ab_channel=LanceCamper
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Plan on driving slower than you'd normally drive when in the truck without the camnper. 10 mph slower in general.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

tcguy
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest measuring your overall height after loading the camper and write it down for easy reference to keep from having clearance issues with low bridges, tree limbs etc.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
smarty wrote:
Not sure of your experience level with purchasing a new camper but the walk thru is very important. Before you accept the truck camper make sure they take you thru every system to make sure all is well

I support this as it is almost impossible to take everything in on the first pass. Perhaps ask for the walk through and then ask for a follow up in an hour as you learn what you did not understand.
There is something special about camping in an RV.