cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voting and driver license issues with full time

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
I've lived in Florida since 1961, but am getting out of here and will not have a physical dwelling for some unknown length of time.

Looking at Traveling Mailbox since that address is in South Florida and I won't have issues with my health insurance (complex matter too involved to explain). So ... I get this new address. I can still vote? I have to get new driver's license? Are there pitfalls I need to be aware of, and to avoid?
34 REPLIES 34

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
We have no problem using a PMB for banking, investments, taxes, social security and medicare, insurance etc. We have never had anyone refuse to accept the address. We change PMB to Apt # . It's been 10 years and not a problem. ( PS - Some mail services provide a street address without a PMB that can be used when needed if a situation does happen).

PS - someone mentioned Good Sam and Crestview FL -- maybe ? I do know that Passport America provides a full-timers mail service and their address is Crestview FL.

MyRVmail.com in Crestview FL also handles Good Sams mailing business and they've been great to work with. I called the Okaloosa Co Tax and DMV offices in Florida prior to setting our domicile there to ask about voting, etc....
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have no problem using a PMB for banking, investments, taxes, social security and medicare, insurance etc. We have never had anyone refuse to accept the address. We change PMB to Apt # . It's been 10 years and not a problem. ( PS - Some mail services provide a street address without a PMB that can be used when needed if a situation does happen).

PS - someone mentioned Good Sam and Crestview FL -- maybe ? I do know that Passport America provides a full-timers mail service and their address is Crestview FL.

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me Capital One bank was done with a PMB (Edcapees) but the credit card was not

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. You can give them a call and let me know what they say.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
I just got my TX driver's license upgraded to a "Real ID" using the TX PMB. Banking good, investments good, credit cards good, taxes good. However, yesterday I was looking at the Capital One CC and it said you could check to see if you are pre-approved. As soon as i hit the address line it kick me out and said I could not use that kind of address. Oh well, it doesn't all work!

It's the 77399 zip code - that is a unique zip code for the Escapees Mail Forwarding business. If you are living in any of the houses around the property, I believe you have a 77351 zip code like everyone else in Livingston.

I went to buy something online and after putting in the credit card information, it asked for our address, which is often used to verify that it is my card. No, wouldn't take it. I contacted the company and said if BOA has no problem with my address while using the card, what is your problem. Turns out it was the zip code. She said put in another zip code for the town, did that and everything went through as planned. Whatever software they were using wouldn't allow zip codes for some types of businesses, but never really MATCH with the credit card companies. If the zip code was possible for the town and wasn't on their can't use list, it was all good. And of course, what I was buying was sent to a different shipping address.

Had the same problem with Wal-Mart when trying to set up getting groceries for curbside pickup. So told Wal-Mart that because of their attitude they wouldn't get my business, plenty of other firms are willing to do business with me.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Did Capital One kick out a Rainbow Drive domicile address? A place that you could actually life at? So people that reside at the park wouldn't be accepted as Capital One customers?
-jbh-

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Rainbow Drive Escapees address.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Escapees address?
-jbh-

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I just got my TX driver's license upgraded to a "Real ID" using the TX PMB. Banking good, investments good, credit cards good, taxes good. However, yesterday I was looking at the Capital One CC and it said you could check to see if you are pre-approved. As soon as i hit the address line it kick me out and said I could not use that kind of address. Oh well, it doesn't all work!

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes some do have issues some don’t . The ones that do let you list another address , different from your domicile pmb ,, like using a relative as the mailing address. It only applies to some investment or bank accounts . The rest will normally accept a mail forwarder pmb address. Use it for everything and the relative or friend for those specific accounts . They really just want some real address that the people there will know you .part of the homeland security laws. In fact they let me use the relative in a different state and I listed my mailing address as the pmb . Doesn’t make sense but it is what it is.
Bill

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least one Federal court has ruled that a mail forwarding service IS a legal address.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. 😞
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
The camel in the tent that you didn't ask about is that financial institutions are unlikely to accept a PMB address.

And here we've been using our Livingston address for 16 years without a problem. Hmmmm.

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
I believe it is going to be harder to vote in areas withered large numbers of full timers register. The local election officials rightly take a dim view of those voters, especially when it comes to local issues. There is something wrong with people who never step foot in town or county voting on bond issues, county elected officials, school boards etc. A crackdown wouldn’t surprise me.

No, local officials don't take a dim view of full timers, at least not in Livingston, as we provide a lot of jobs for people who live in Livingston, we provide money for their bridge upkeep fund and do not use the roads, and we count in the census which increases the numbers in the town, which helps when getting federal grants, etc.

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Our Blog

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Merrill wouldn't accept it, no way, even after I had been a customer for years and was simply changing the address. One Amex account accepted it, and one wouldn't. I gave up on the second and simply continued to use the existing address...which was a PMB (UPS Store). Chase apparently didn't care.

It doesn't matter if you put apt or whatever if it shows up as a commercial mail facility.
-jbh-