cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cottonwood Trees and their Seeds

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Will be parked in the middle of a bunch Cottonwood Trees this summer. Need ideas that have worked to try and keep the seeds out of the roof a/c.
Thanks!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315
7 REPLIES 7

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I understand the shortcomings of cottonwood trees in spring, they've ruined a few fishing trips but fishing the same stretch of water in summer reveals just a tree providing shade.
Can you confirm that these trees shed during the summer. Idk

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I would strongly suggest not parking under the cotton woods, unless you have a strong preference for them, such as the shade.
The problems with the cotton are hard to deal with. They clog acs and fans and they get dam from de or rain the only way to deal with them is a lot of water under pressure. They seem to wrap around little edges.
Some of my favorite productive trout streams are shaded by them. They get on the line in the current and near impossible to remove sometimes.
Have to reel in with fingers on the line before they get to the guides or a real mess,wit a fish on the end of the line.

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d me just as concerned if you are parked under them for their limbs falling on your rig. They are notoriously a weak tree. We have them on the lower part of the property and have several limbs snap and break spurring the spring/summer months
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We have a under floor heat-pump that collects cottonwood seeds. I pay my grand-daughters to remove them. . . there may be a bit of OCD involved?
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen lite wood frame boxes with screen attached and set over the a/c. Doesn't look great but seems it would be easier to clean.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
The cottonwoods I'm familiar with do most of their shedding early in the season. Can you just put a cover on the air conditioner till they are done or do you know you cooling needs overlap the cotton season?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Forget keeping them out
Learn how to clean the roof A/C
Coleman: Remove 4 screw/bolts
Lift cover
peal off seeds
Replace cover and bolts

Other makes
Remove 10 screws give or take a few
Lift cover
Remove more scres or cut tape and bend tabs to remove inner over over condenser
If you have size XXL hands remove fan
Clean
Replace everything

I LIKED MY COLEMAN

oh one more thing about coleman.. Fresh cleaned I had to pay serious attention to tell if it was running or not (Stand directly under it and listen hard)

Dirty it Whomp whomp whomp ed to let me know "Clean Me"
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times