cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper Overhaul?

JimBfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting ready to take my camper out after it basically sat for 2 years. It's had antifreeze, which I renewed, and the hot water tank has been drained and standing with the plug out all this time. Replaced one tire that had dried out and gone flat, then used vinal/rubber renewer on all of the vinal, rubber, tires etc. Any suggestions on things I'd better do to get it ready to go back out?
Any advice appreciated!
12 REPLIES 12

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
lane hog wrote:
mr_andyj wrote:
Trailer tires are supposed to be good for 6 years.

If they're used on a regular basis, yep, six years is reasonable. But tires that sit for 1-2 years on the rim are going to age prematurely. When tires sit, the waxes/oils that help make up the tire don't heat up and won't circulate and that leads to those oils evaporating, and the rubber starts to crack as a result. That's why tires in storage are bagged.

Did a tire sales place tell you that. if you keep them inflated properly and inspect them every year and replace bad ones as needed, your good to go.

last year I noticed a broken bead on one of my ties so I replaced tht one, they are 5 years old, guess the other 3 are going to blow up going down the road this summer...

I have had 3 trailers before the 5th, two for 10 years one for 8 and never had to replace a tire once (untill last year), proper inflation and driving at proper speeds help to make them last.

a good inspection at the begining of the season and a weekly check will help find tires that need to be switched out before they are an issue.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
Trailer tires are supposed to be good for 6 years.

If they're used on a regular basis, yep, six years is reasonable. But tires that sit for 1-2 years on the rim are going to age prematurely. When tires sit, the waxes/oils that help make up the tire don't heat up and won't circulate and that leads to those oils evaporating, and the rubber starts to crack as a result. That's why tires in storage are bagged.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer tires are supposed to be good for 6 years. Replacing at 3 is way overkill.
Go past 6 years and you might start to see radials pop and make bulges in your tread or might just have a complete blowout. As a youth I would run truck tires way way past the expiration date bc of money.
Tires will generate heat when driven from all the sidewall flexing. A short trip will not make the tire hot, but an all day drive will. Heat increases the psi and increases the likelyhood of a blowout if the tire has a weakness. On a hot day the psi could double. PSI is to be checked on the tire as cold / ambient temps(not right after a long drive), and the tire is meant to handle the extra psi that driving causes.

Flush out water and your should be good to go. Not a lot to go wrong with a trailer sitting if it does not have leaks or odors.

Hook up to city water for a few hours to make sure nothing will leak, or at least turn your water pump on for a few hours so the pipes are pressurized.

Run the absorption fridge to check for leaks. Check it for leaks, yellowish powder or stains will appear on the coils on the outside side if it has a leak, or it will just not cool properly, but if you suspect a leak then I would do a quick research on more details of how to check for leaks. The freezer should freeze.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
JIMNLIN wrote:
water tank plug left open for two years??
Better flush bugs/insects out good before reinstalling the plug. If thats the case you may want to disinfect your fresh water system.

Ditto on the water heater flush and plumbing system flush.

Both tires need replaced, not just one of them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
noteven wrote:
Some beer.

Don't forget some beer.

Popcorn should be fine, can't wait for someone to suggest a new RV because it sat for two yrs without use..

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Did the tire just lose air or did it dry rot? If it dry rotted, odds are the other tires are due for replacement.

Check the roof, take a short local trip and then check it again. It may look fine before you move but a good shake down the road may open up some cracks if it's sat for a couple years.

Otherwise, it's just normal de-winterization. Plug it in and make sure everything is running.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

chops1sc
Explorer
Explorer
Give 'er a good bath (top to bottom) and get some new Dicor for the roof seams. Clean out the window weep holes. Look for any wasp nests.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
water tank plug left open for two years??
Better flush bugs/insects out good before reinstalling the plug. If thats the case you may want to disinfect your fresh water system.

Check DOT date code on tires especially after sitting with weight for two years. Replace if 3-5 years old and know problematic ST C/D/E tire brands. If the trailer will be making long all day runs I would replace them with a good tire for trailer use made to go the distance (mileage and years).

Like grit says run every thing now.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
First thing that comes to mind is....what have the mice been doing the past 2 years?

2nd, I'd replace the other tires and have a driveway campout and operate everything to get an idea.

Don't forget to inspect the roof.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some beer.

Don't forget some beer.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you’re taking it any distance, new tires if they’re over 4-5 years old.
Bearings and brakes?
Batteries
Run it through its paces. Fridge stove ac furnace etc.
Go camping.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Just replaced one tire? Age of tires? Both covered from sun exposure? Yes...place the other tire!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad