cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lance Bumper clamp repair. Need picture.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
So we are on our 3rd Lance. This one is a 2004 1130. The back jacks seemed to have pulled from the bumper. It looks like there may be a eye bolt put in there repaired from a previous owner. I was hoping some of you may be able to take a picture of what it is supposed to look like from the factory. I want to repair it correctly. Currently the clamps are loose and the so is the bolt going through the bumper. I have attached a couple of pics of its current state. I cannot find proper pics on the web so I am hoping some of you will come through.
Thanks for your help.
MN Ben

2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD
7 REPLIES 7

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the additional pictures. The rivet imprint is actually some type bolt head. I was able to get a picture of mine and can see the old bolts and nuts. I will have to drill them out and get something solid back in there. Now only do they get abused loading and unloading. I hear them adjust and move while lowering the unit. This just transfers that stress to the fasteners that attach the upper part of the jack.

MN Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
Like this. It’s a flat spring hasp. I had to drill out the rivets holding the old one, and drill new holes to rivet this one on. I have a hairpin cotter in it to make sure it stays closed.

Spring Hasp

:):)

Thank you, I just Amazoned one. You know I've been thinking for years about cutting some hatches in the top of that bumper and dumping my whole toolbox in there. It's about a hundred pounds on the rear but it sure would clear up some room in the truck. Just thinking...

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Like this. It’s a flat spring hasp. I had to drill out the rivets holding the old one, and drill new holes to rivet this one on. I have a hairpin cotter in it to make sure it stays closed.

Spring Hasp

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
NRALIFR wrote:
On mine, a 2001 model, the bumper is aluminum, and the tabs are aluminum. The lower mounting tabs are two 90* aluminum angles, inserted from the back-side of the bumper, and welded along the top and bottom edges.

From your pictures, I can see the remains of a rivet on each side of the hole, so I suspect yours were not welded. That may have something to do with why yours broke off, because those two jack mounts are subjected to repetitive bending stress when loading the camper. When you back the truck under the camper, I think most of us tend to continue until you feel the front of the bed actually touch the bumpers on the front of the camper. It doesn’t take much pressure from the truck to put A LOT of stress on those tabs. Being aluminum, they readily bend. Do that a few dozen times, and I can see those two rivets getting broken. Over the nearly twenty years I’ve owned my camper, I’ve straightened those tabs twice while doing other repairs to the rear jack areas.

Here’s what mine looks like from the backside of the bumper. This is on the passenger side.

The outside view of the driver side. You can see it has a slight bend in it.

What kind of hasp did you put on your outside door. That lock gave out years ago, I can turn it with my fingernail. Thank, Joe

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
On mine, a 2001 model, the bumper is aluminum, and the tabs are aluminum. The lower mounting tabs are two 90* aluminum angles, inserted from the back-side of the bumper, and welded along the top and bottom edges.

From your pictures, I can see the remains of a rivet on each side of the hole, so I suspect yours were not welded. That may have something to do with why yours broke off, because those two jack mounts are subjected to repetitive bending stress when loading the camper. When you back the truck under the camper, I think most of us tend to continue until you feel the front of the bed actually touch the bumpers on the front of the camper. It doesn’t take much pressure from the truck to put A LOT of stress on those tabs. Being aluminum, they readily bend. Do that a few dozen times, and I can see those two rivets getting broken. Over the nearly twenty years I’ve owned my camper, I’ve straightened those tabs twice while doing other repairs to the rear jack areas.

Here’s what mine looks like from the backside of the bumper. This is on the passenger side.

The outside view of the driver side. You can see it has a slight bend in it.

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Alright! Great! So it is a piece of iron that goes in there. I wonder how it is held in place on the inside? I guess I could look under my bumper to see if there were some broken welds. Currently there is the end of the eye bolt with a nut. Thanks you joerg68.
MN Ben
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
I went through my old pictures of our Lance 915 repair project, and this is the best shot I found:

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow