cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Convict Lake, CA questions??

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Going to Convict Lake next week for the first time. Going over Google satellite photo I see the dump is on the main road going up between lodge and CG.

Is there potable water to fill my tank so as not to haul that extra weight?

I don't see where there is a kiosk or location for campsite check-in?

Is this a good place for an inflatible kayak?

And lastly, are there bike trails or should we leave them home?
17 REPLIES 17

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
I just re-watched that video -- hilarious! You can't understand a word I'm saying other than "40 or 50 knots." Which is all that needs to be said, right?

Dan do you have Convict Lake in your travel log? If so, what month and year?

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just re-watched that video -- hilarious! You can't understand a word I'm saying other than "40 or 50 knots." Which is all that needs to be said, right?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's a beautiful place -- nice hiking trail around the lake. I don't think there is a good bike trail in the immediate area. Riding up Rock Creek Canyon from Tom's Place to Mosquito Flats Campground is a lot of fun, especially the glide back down the canyon.

Yes, bring the kayaks, but watch the afternoon wind:

Wind on Convict Lake
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Using jugs to supplement your onboard water is fine. Attaching the hose to the spigot to fill your tank is not.

Yes I agree! Saw a camper run a 100' hose from the restroom across the road to his RV in Upper Pines in Yosemite to fill his tank. By the time a ranger showed up, he was full. Got just a warning.
Anyone know if there is cell coverage at Convict Lake? I read it's 1 bar for Verizon. that meanslittle to nothiong from my experience. Their coverage map shows 4G up to the lake. But that doesn't mean anything.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using jugs to supplement your onboard water is fine. Attaching the hose to the spigot to fill your tank is not.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
With water spigots available nothing wrong with filling any fresh water tanks manually with 6 gallon water jugs.

That's what I was hoping we could do if there was no potable water at dump station. It's only my brother and 3 nights. I could always spare 20 gallons for him if needed. I have 2 blue 2 1/2 gallon water jugs.

Fresno_Tundra_D
Explorer
Explorer
With water spigots available nothing wrong with filling any fresh water tanks manually with 6 gallon water jugs.
E.Lee Galik

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, there are spigots available. Usually you are not to do washing at the spigot. Instead, you fill a bucket or dish pan at the spigot and then take it to your campsite to wash up.

You should not use the spigots to fill your RV fresh water tank.

In regards to the trike, I would contact the concessionnaire at hall@camprrm.com or 760-924-5500 and ask them about non-mountain biking options. From what I can see, there are not any bike trails around the lake - just hiking trails.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Morrisonโ€™s website says take out only.

https://convictlake.com/fine-dining/morrisons-restaurant/
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Are there spgots with potable water within the CG for dishwashinbg? These questions are mostly for my brother with a TT. I have a fully self contained MH with plenty of FW and I travel with it full, always.

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Too old to mountain bike. DW has a trike, any where to ride flat ground or just from CG to lodge?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"As the Convict Lake campground is run by the USFS, I do not believe there is a potable water hookup available."

Per RV Dumpsites...https://rvdumpsites.net/#!21294&query=sitedetails

AND I HAVE USED THE DUMP AND FILLED MY TANK WITH FRESH WATER.

Dumpsite Fee: Free
Potable Water: YES Flush Water: YES
Spring: CLOSED Summer: OPEN Fall: CLOSED Winter: CLOSED
Open April through October. On the main road to Convict Lake; you don't have to go inside the campground. Potable water is 20-40' from the dump hole.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
"so it should be a quiet and calm lake"... if the wind isn't howling

Hind howling is still way nicer than drunks screaming and speeding in boats. ๐Ÿ™‚

dedmiston
Try to pad your budget a little bit so you can splurge one night and go to their restaurant. Their lodge is some of the best fine dining we've ever had.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230