cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charleston SC

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Not a camping question but for those of you who visited Charleston and stayed at a hotel, I’m looking for recommendations. Planning on visiting for 3 days and nights. Looking for something close to the attractions and maybe walking distance to restaurants . Thanks for the help.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
8 REPLIES 8

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
James Island.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
A few months ago we stopped at a state rest area in the afternoon on the way to Charleston and the desk attendant had a list of some hotels that had availability for that night at a discount rate. We stayed at a historic hotel right in downtown, can't recall the name. We have stayed at Planters Inn right by the Market and like it very much. Nice place, they even still enforced a "Gentlemen please remove your hat before entering the dining room" rule. s

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at the Mills House (Wynndom) a month ago, it was nice, and very walkable to everything. We had just a normal room and it was nothing special.

I will say they were having staffing issues, and the day of our arrival, our room was not ready until 8pm. Everywhere we went there were Now Hiring signs, and saw numerous signs asking for forgiveness for slow service that they were understaffed. The front desk lady said they just could not even get people to apply.

If you have the time, I thing our favorite day was the last day. After 2 days of walking all over the place, we drove out to Folly Beach, and there is a county park at the end of the road, and rented a couple of beach chairs, and just sat and relaxed all day.

Also restuarants were packed, and reservations would need to be made like a week out, but most had non reservation seating, but it was a 1-2hr wait.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stayed at the Mills House (Wynndom) a month ago, it was nice, and very walkable to everything. We had just a normal room and it was nothing special.

I will say they were having staffing issues, and the day of our arrival, our room was not ready until 8pm. Everywhere we went there were Now Hiring signs, and saw numerous signs asking for forgiveness for slow service that they were understaffed. The front desk lady said they just could not even get people to apply.

If you have the time, I thing our favorite day was the last day. After 2 days of walking all over the place, we drove out to Folly Beach, and there is a county park at the end of the road, and rented a couple of beach chairs, and just sat and relaxed all day.

Also restuarants were packed, and reservations would need to be made like a week out, but most had non reservation seating, but it was a 1-2hr wait.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Can't give you specific recommendations, but I'd suggest staying in the City Market area if you want walking and restaurants. Braod St and Meeting St is a good major intersection to focus on.

Beautiful city, if you've never been.

x2 on this

it has been several years ago but wife and i stayed in the downtown city market area. a lot to be said for location. convenient to walk around all the sites and restaurants instead of driving.

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Hotel Bennett 404 King Street, right in the middle of the historic peninsula of Charleston.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't give you specific recommendations, but I'd suggest staying in the City Market area if you want walking and restaurants. Braod St and Meeting St is a good major intersection to focus on.

Beautiful city, if you've never been.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed a couple of times at the Holiday Inn Riverview, restaurant there was ok, view of the harbor was great. Last time was 4 years ago, so it may have changed since then.