cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Smelly RV propane detector

linfrye
Explorer
Explorer
We r in a 2001 class A Monaco, and after a heavy rain this week, I detected a funny smell that seems to be coming from my propane detector. It does not smell like propane or rotten eggs...just a weird, off smell that is there even after turning off the propane gas. There is no smell from the stovetop, under the sink or anywhere else. The propane sector is near the floor on the slide out under the stoves cabinet. We suspect we need to replace the propane detector...but what would cause it to emit a smell?

Thx for any help!
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, replace the LP detector. There will be a DATE on the back side when you remove it. The smell is wet/rotted wood or carpet. The fact you smelled it after a hard rain means that there has been water penetration at the slide out over the years. Most Monaco slide seals need replaced every 5 to 7 years. They just wear out and fail to give a complete seal. If you pull the Cabinet drawers and access the area in the sidewall slide hole you will probably see the wet or rotted area. Then use fans to dry it out. IF NOT in a slideout, you need to check the window seals. Doug

linfrye
Explorer
Explorer
Thx so much...we couldnt find any wet wood...but I agree with u...we will replace the detector asap...thx for responding....

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
linfrye wrote:
after a heavy rain this week, I detected a funny smell that seems to be coming from my propane detector.

Is it a musty smell? How long after the rain?

I'd search for damp/wet musty or molded wood.

I can't think of a reason, aside from possible burnt electronics smell if something broke, that a smell would come from the propane detector. I suppose its possible an electrolytic capacitor in the propane detector could have ruptured and could theoretically emit a smell.

It shouldn't take much effort to remove the propane detector and check it out outside the RV. As others have already indicated, if its the original detector, it should be replaced anyway.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something died in the wall behind it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2001 Vintage should be on at least the 3rd even 4th detector

They have a Shelf Life of 5-7 yrs

Expiration date on backside

Replace it......
*If it trips a solenoid/shuts off propane flow then you can get a new one with solenoid OR remove OEM solenoid/hard pipe it and just install a New LP Detector
Solenoids are not required/not even used on newer models
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31