cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a 2 wheel drive automatic transmission

Larrysr1957
Explorer
Explorer
If I’m correct you can’t tow a 2 Wheel Dr. automatic transmission because the transmission would overheat but my question is, can’t I put the truck in neutral with the engine running and pull it, that way with the engine running it will circulate the transmission fluid keeping the transmission cool. Are there any mechanical reasons that I cannot do this. And no the gear shift cannot jump into reverse. I can get a electric brake that will operate with the power brake active.
11 REPLIES 11

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
...The ultimate authority is the actual Owners Manual that came with the vehicle. In most cases you can do a Google Search with the year make and model to find one online. But you will want to verify with the actual owners manual of that vehicle to be sure since sometimes the online ones might differ from the actual. Generally speaking you want to look for the section on "Recreational Towing" in the owners manual...

This is what you need to do. You're getting lots of advice that is not exactly correct...the owner's manual is what counts.
2014 American Eagle

Y-Guy
First place to start looking is to check the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides is a great place to start. It provides a great overview, but doesn’t get into many details. Keep in mind that some vehicles that could be towed one year might not be recommended the next year, either changes to electronics, transmission, engine or the bean counters can all influence the change.

The ultimate authority is the actual Owners Manual that came with the vehicle. In most cases you can do a Google Search with the year make and model to find one online. But you will want to verify with the actual owners manual of that vehicle to be sure since sometimes the online ones might differ from the actual. Generally speaking you want to look for the section on "Recreational Towing" in the owners manual.

There are users that find out that they can tow four down just fine, going against what the manufacture states. If you go this route you’re on your own if there are any damages, this is why many won’t risk violating the warranty by towing against the owners manual recommendation.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Some Ford and GM 2WD cars can be towed 4 down (same 6 speed transmission).

What kind of vehicle do you have?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's RWD, ypou may be able to get a driveshaft disconnect
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with towing "4 down" is somethings inside the transmission will spin. The spinning cause heat. The pump is not pumping so the fluid does not go through the cooler.

Some transmissions can handle the heat,some can not.

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Year make and model of the vehicle would help.

I tow a 2 wheel drive car with an automatic transmission. All cars are not the same.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

hughesjm21
Explorer
Explorer
Get a vehicle that can be towed safely (I tow SRX with no concern) according to manufacturers instructions. Use a tow dolley. Stop trying to improvise a solution that would likely cause you to drive down ths road watching for smoke from your toad.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Check with your car owners manual, under towing behind a vehicle or recreational towing. Each manufacturer and model, transmission model could all be different. Transmission pump fluid connection etc., even idling the engine may not operate the transmission pump, if the transmission is in neutral.
2nd part of your inquiry, towed vehicle braking systems are generally designed to work with the car NOT running and any power assist bled off. On our Brake Buddy system, after installing, final step is to press a button to cycle the Brake Buddy five times to bleed off any power assistance. If you were to leave the towed engine running, any time the brakes were applied, it would probably lock up the towed vehicle brakes.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Is towing that car and only that car so important to you that you would risk destroying it? What does the owners manual say about towing? Can you tow a pumpkin behind your RV? You bet ya! Will it look a lot like a pumpkin when you get to your destination? Unlikely!

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As rick stated look at some. As far as driving with the engine running. In a 500 mile tow, engine running you will have a over heated engine and possible transmission. We have seen this several times. Have seen more on I 75 South doing this for some reason. No air gets to the engine or not enough. Jeeps seem to be but not all towable.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Larrysr1957,

You CAN tow some 2WD automatics four down. Our Honda Odyssey is just one example out of many. However, as the years go by, the selection of models seems to be dwindling.

Can you tow a vehicle with the engine running and in neutral? Sure. Should you? THAT, I'll leave up to you. I wouldn't do it with my vehicle. What if the engine stalls?

There are other options. There are tranny fluid circulation pumps which can be installed and there are driveshaft disconnects which can be installed, to name two. Of course the tranny fluid circulation pump could fail and the driveshaft disconnects can sometimes be temperamental to get them to engage/disengage. I've read about both of these issues, though rare, on these forums over the years.

Or if you're not going to tow too frequently, there are some who just crawl under their vehicle and disconnect the drive shaft for the trip.

OR, and my suggestion, find a vehicle which CAN be flat-towed and trade your current vehicle in for one of those. Follow the towing instructions TO THE LETTER and you should be able to tow about as "worry free" as possible.

If you weren't aware, there is a Dinghy Towing section on these forums. Have a look to see if that helps give you some ideas.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.