Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Hemi Joel

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, yes, the breakdowns. I've hauled 4 different campers over the last 18 years on the same 1993 Dodge. So I had some of that. I can wrench, so the little things, I fix. If you can wrench, bring tools and spare parts for peace of mind. I've had to have it towed to a shop for repairs on road trips only twice on 140,000 miles. It only takes a cell phone, time and money, and some common sense to get off the road immediately if something goes wrong so you don't stall in the traffic lane. It shouldn't be a big worry.

2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Part of the delay is perhaps stumbling on a good used TC, but there is no inventory. I've been looking nationwide and in Western Canada for over a year, unfortunately I did pass on some early last year that were great deals.

Where are you in idaho?

I see some good deals every once in a while,mostly used units in very good shape,it appeared..

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Good is relative to the economy right now, save for the truly one off type of deals.
But I agree with you. One can be camping in a decent truck and decent camper for not a huge amount of money.

But we’re all just playing Dr Phil here, so there’s that. This really isn’t RV related, this is the OP looking for validation (in broad strokes) that it’s ok for him to make a financial decision.
The reason for the financial decision is not really in question here, replace RV with vacation to Europe, condo in Florida, or spending extra for the meat lovers pizza vs just cheese and pepperoni. How much is it worth to you? And how will it affect your finances going forward?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

run100

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another vote here for doing things now! My priority shift took place as a young man, when a co-worker had a fatal automobile accident on the way to work. From that moment on, my focus has been on making the most of life right now. Easier said than done, but certainly a worthy direction.

Personally, spending money on toys has much more value to me than throwing money down the toilet on the house. I see many folks live their lives "house broke" with HUGE mortgages (and large maintenance and repair expenses) restricting options of doing anything other than paying the monthly bills.

Everyone has to set their own priorities, but being chained to a house has never seemed fun to me, so we opt for owning a conservative home. There's a big world worth exploring and it's nice to have resources available to do it!

* This post was edited 05/08/21 12:48pm by run100 *

2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Quote:

Part of the delay is perhaps stumbling on a good used TC, but there is no inventory. I've been looking nationwide and in Western Canada for over a year, unfortunately I did pass on some early last year that were great deals.

Where are you in idaho?

I see some good deals every once in a while,mostly used units in very good shape,it appeared..

I'm in Sun Valley.

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

run100 wrote:

Another vote here for doing things now! My priority shift took place as a young man, when a co-worker had a fatal automobile accident on the way to work. From that moment on, my focus has been on making the most of life right now. Easier said than done, but certainly a worthy direction.

Personally, spending money on toys has much more value to me than throwing money down the toilet on the house. I see many folks live their lives "house broke" with HUGE mortgages (and large maintenance and repair expenses) restricting options of doing anything other than paying the monthly bills.

Everyone has to set their own priorities, but being chained to a house has never seemed fun to me, so we opt for owning a conservative home. There's a big world worth exploring and it's nice to have resources available to do it!

We live where people come to recreate year round, and the last year work from home. Well except for "mud time" but that seems a thing of the past. Now it's just partly cloudy and windy - no more rain or mud. Fortunately we bought our retirement home a number of years ago(thanks to my wife) and paid it off when we sold our primary home.

One of my old fishing buddies always said "this ain't no dress rehearsal." He died young, unfortunately.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Intellectually I know I can afford it, it's the emotional part that has held me back.

I believe in trusting my gut feelings. They have been a good judge for me over the years.

So, you need to decide if your "emotional part" is just nervous nellies or it's your gut telling you there is something off. And only you know if your gut has good sense or not.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would wait. The pandemic got a lot of people buying RV’s, the industry is sold out, prices are inflated, inventory is nonexistent. Wait another year or two and there is going to be a lot of people going back to their old ways and there is going to be a lot of inventory both new and used at very reasonable prices.

gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 07:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your station in life allows you to proceed with the purchases right now, do it. You may regret waiting a couple years. We're not getting any younger. Good luck!

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My sister in law (****... what is the correct anak..nakran... internent rv forum abbreveratirrotrion..oh ya! SIL) worked in banks and credit unions for many moons.

she says you would not believe the number of people who are >65 or >70 who have hundreds of thousands of net worths who wonder if they can afford some spending on themselves...

She says I lean over quiet like and tell them you know your money isn't really here in the bank... its numbers on a statement... the feds let us lend it out five times over what we have on deposit.... go ahead ... go to the counter and ask them to bring it all out where you can look at it....

It might be different in the USA...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.