Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A truck camper is the best RV I've ever owned. Four motorhomes class a and c, 5th wheel, a smaller Lance 845 TC, and for the last 5 years and 70k miles, the AF 1150. Go anywhere, stay anywhere, turn around anywhere. But it's just me and wife now, not with kids or dogs. Different rigs for different times of your life. This one is awesome for now.

cptqueeg wrote:

I've been wanting a TC for a number of years and finally retired so now is the time, right? Of course the pandemic hits, stock market tanks, we start a major remodel on our home, can't shop for either a truck or camper in person so I've been sitting on the sidelines watching prices go up and availability go down. I did throughly research virtually every type of RV and most TC brands and the components of TCs. Now if I order a Hallmark TC it'll probably be next year for delivery.

My estimation of the economic effect of the pandemic on my personal situation was drastically wrong (thankfully); guess I'm a bit pessimistic or conservative financially. I've found over the years, for me, it's a better strategy to get what I want rather than making do and then "trade up" later. My point being a truck and camper is going to be the most expensive thing I've ever bought (outside of my kid's education) that wasn't a house.

I think it's the right product so I can hunt, tow my boat and stay a couple nights at the lake, and bring my wife boondocking to some places she's never been. I hate hotels and eating out. She's ok w the purchase since I won't be paying w "our" money. We're in our early 60's but now too old to sleep on the ground anymore. LOL

Just throwing the topic out to get an idea of how you guys convince yourselves to get off the fence or any other comments or thoughts.

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The warranty cover oil pan gasket replacement, who require engine removal, so I can only guess what it would cost without warranty."

I've had to replace that upper oil pan seal three times in my 16 F350. All under warranty. He said it would have been about $4500 each time if not under warranty. I'm going to get a new truck before the 100k engine warranty expires...

Avid Fox

On the road often.

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing that makes the expense worth making, is if you use the rig a lot and get good regular enjoyment from it. If it sits idle much of the time, like many do, they can feel very expensive, and depreciate just the same.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here new 3/4 ton and up trucks have been non existent on dealers lots for months unless you want a plain Jane stripped model. Now 1/2 tons are going away. At a local Ram dealer that usually has two lots full of at least 100 1/2 tons each, he has maybe 10 total. The local GMC dealer has 0 of any flavor.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Avid Fox wrote:

The only thing that makes the expense worth making, is if you use the rig a lot and get good regular enjoyment from it. If it sits idle much of the time, like many do, they can feel very expensive, and depreciate just the same.

Exactly. Do your best to wear it out. [emoticon]

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was tired of tent camping in 2002 ... bought a TC one day while on the road, packed it up, bought the needed supplies and never looked back. Spent three years on the road cross-country several times East to West and North to South. We still spend months at a time when we go camping, still haul the TC. Everything in it we need, nothing we don't.

Got in anywhere, could park anywhere. Still have one - altho upsized in 2008 ... added A/C and power jacks ... We still spend time camping and always will own a TC. Can't imagine where we go would ever fit a large TT, and small TT is no more room than we have now, and a lot less versatile.

Just some random thoughts to share [emoticon] [emoticon]

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

SoonDockin

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/21 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sold my previous Class C MH in fall 2018. Just a few months of no camper had me twitching. I looked high and low for a good deal on a used one ton dually. Prices were so close to new, I just shopped for a good deal on new. Found a super deal on a 2019 F450 and then found a great deal on a AF1140. Only thing I miss about the class C was being able to use the bathroom or grab a snack without getting out of the vehicle. I don't miss the incredible noise inside while driving.

The Ford is pretty quiet zooming down the road. Stable in cross winds and plenty of power to get up any mountain. Love the TC as its so maneuverable. Its plenty tall but I just watch for low limbs.

2019 Ford F450 KR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath

Highway Runner

Atlanta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My humble opinion is you don’t know what is right until you have a little experience.
I personally purchased before I retired because that is when I had the excess monies.
I first bought a Host Rainier double slide and enjoyed it. We wanted a little more room so we got a 5er. The 5er had too much room so I got an Eagle Cap 1165 triple slide and is fits very well.
All along the way I was at even money with my purchases and sales.

2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: 7/21/22

Well of course this week I find out I'm getting old and a new, but not unexpected health issue pops up. So I'm even more glad I jumped on a TC given a 2nd chance, even though it wasn't my first choice.

I've improved the spring pack and added better shocks to prepare the Tundra, and the tires are rated for the load. It actually rides better, even empty, than it had. Tomorrow we shoot over to Bozeman to pick up the camper. We are prepared for a couple nights of camping in Bighorn NF in WY. We're trying to gain some altitude to facilitate being cool at night and stay away from YNP.

Hopefully Canada will open, kids will go back to school so adults can't work from anywhere and we get back to some sense of normalcy. I stay local for archery elk in September, but after that we'll look to take longer trips. Thanks for all the thought and effort to respond.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope it all works out for you.

The news says the US is actually the hold up of the Canada border. Canada plans to open Aug 9. I think you might need proof of vaccination and random Covic screening.

In other news, Montana is still open, too.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.