Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

Spending money, is a learned skill. It can be hard for many to do in retirement.

Those of us that have had a health issue, or in my case lost a spouse, know that one's portfolio is meaningless. We know the memories are what are truly of value.

Late wife and I traveled, rved on long road trips and so on. Not only do I not regret it, I cherish those memories more that anything. ( and yeah we spent a boat load of money doing it) But had we not done it, I would have more money, but she would still be dead.

I suspect, after you get it, you will wonder why you did not get it years ago.

For what it's worth that is my take on this life


Well Said,
Unfortunately many do not truly understand what your saying unless they have personally experienced a loss or health issue.


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/08/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Part of the delay is perhaps stumbling on a good used TC, but there is no inventory. I've been looking nationwide and in Western Canada for over a year, unfortunately I did pass on some early last year that were great deals. Dealers are now fully taking advantage of the shortage when something falls in their laps.

I'm not concerned about a big loss, I'll have a unique setup(flatbed truck and camper) all ready to go for the next guy should I decide to sell it. Hallmark is a quality build and I've spec'd out the highest quality components.

As far as time running out a month ago on my 110th day of alpine skiing this season I had a freak accident and suffered a non displaced hip fracture. It could have been a broken neck if I wasn't so lucky so I get that.

I am fortunate to have a fishing buddy w a TT that might let me use it when he leaves it empty at the lake. I have plenty of towing experience, but I'm not sure I want to double tow so I've ruled out a TT. I appreciate all the comments, they make a lot of sense.

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/24/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're not going to find a good deal on the stealership lot. I have had good results in the past with placing wanted ads in the local and regional papers, plus going thru the obits and calling the survivors to see if they have anything they need to get rid of. It is a win/win when it works because it cuts out the dealer overhead/profit markup.

On the do it now vs. wait until your health fails, I agree 100%. BUt unless you have an unusually huge nest egg, we still need to spend wisely, or their won't be any $ left to enjoy the work-free lifestyle.


2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.


cptqueeg

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 04/11/2020

View Profile



Posted: 05/08/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

You're not going to find a good deal on the stealership lot. I have had good results in the past with placing wanted ads in the local and regional papers, plus going thru the obits and calling the survivors to see if they have anything they need to get rid of. It is a win/win when it works because it cuts out the dealer overhead/profit markup.

On the do it now vs. wait until your health fails, I agree 100%. BUt unless you have an unusually huge nest egg, we still need to spend wisely, or their won't be any $ left to enjoy the work-free lifestyle.


Intellectually I know I can afford it, it's the emotional part that has held me back.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you’ve been looking for over a year, and looking diligently, you have passed on some that were a deal or at least not super inflated on price.
Maybe not so much on trucks.
If by last fall, you didn’t realize that prices weren’t likely to get better then you’re partly to blame for sitting there with no camper and staring at even higher prices.
But put a number to it and decide whether your finances can absorb, say, $20k more than “good” prices. But even that’s relative. If you’re used to dealer prices, the hit won’t be so bad private party.
If you’re stuck on one brand, one model and new off the dealer lot, you’ll pay to that convenience. If you’re flexible, you can do better than that “worst case” scenario.
You got 3 pages of “do it” responses. So the emotional support from people you don’t know has been established.
It’s up to you to decide your options.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

winnietrey

seattle

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2005

View Profile



Posted: 05/08/21 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:

Hemi Joel wrote:

You're not going to find a good deal on the stealership lot. I have had good results in the past with placing wanted ads in the local and regional papers, plus going thru the obits and calling the survivors to see if they have anything they need to get rid of. It is a win/win when it works because it cuts out the dealer overhead/profit markup.

On the do it now vs. wait until your health fails, I agree 100%. BUt unless you have an unusually huge nest egg, we still need to spend wisely, or their won't be any $ left to enjoy the work-free lifestyle.


Intellectually I know I can afford it, it's the emotional part that has held me back.



Yep, its hard when your whole life, you have tried to do everything by yourself, always made do, with what you have. As I said it's a learned skill. Although If not now, when?

As for going through the obits, I guess that is a way of doing it. But in my particular case my response would have been somewhat hostile, but I can see where it would work

winnietrey

seattle

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2005

View Profile



Posted: 05/08/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

winnietrey wrote:

Spending money, is a learned skill. It can be hard for many to do in retirement.

Those of us that have had a health issue, or in my case lost a spouse, know that one's portfolio is meaningless. We know the memories are what are truly of value.

Late wife and I traveled, rved on long road trips and so on. Not only do I not regret it, I cherish those memories more that anything. ( and yeah we spent a boat load of money doing it) But had we not done it, I would have more money, but she would still be dead.

I suspect, after you get it, you will wonder why you did not get it years ago.

For what it's worth that is my take on this life


Well Said,
Unfortunately many do not truly understand what your saying unless they have personally experienced a loss or health issue.


So true, and I hope others never will have to understand. But truth is it will come to all of us at some point

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the pandemic and a home remodel as excuses as to why you’re where you’re at are both weak excuses. You could have shopped in person and purchased any and every day since that happened. Or have you just realized that you shouldn’t have used that as excuses, now, since we’re not living in zombie land as some thought would happen?
Using inflation and availability as an excuse is also semi -weak as there was and still are ALOT of options out there that won’t break the bank.
If it’s because you HAVE to have brand new and a particular model, then that’s your issue too.
Remember cheap fast or good, pick 2.
For example, there’s what appear to be a very nice setup on CL here, turn key ready to go. 2013 loaded Duramax cc dually with 50k miles and a 2008 1150 Arctic Fox.
Overpriced? Yup. Half price of what a new combo would get ya in the wallet and likely only about a $10k hit from “good” prices? Yup
Still for sale? Yup
You literally could be camping tomorrow.
Or go cheap and get something to get you going for the next year or 2 that won’t tie up as much money or experience the same depreciation cost as new and get out there and tow your boat to the lake.

What I find interesting and somewhat enjoyable about all this is people “should” learn that they can’t have instant gratification and the ability to have that is a bit less when talking consumer goods currently. The notion that everything you want or need magically just happens, while you sleep (figuratively) and you wake up like it’s Christmas morning and everything you ever wanted is sitting right under the tree in pretty packages is not quite what it has been for quite some time.
It “should” serve to make people more resourceful, so be more resourceful...

Hemi Joel

Minnesota

Senior Member

Joined: 07/24/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cptqueeg wrote:



Intellectually I know I can afford it, it's the emotional part that has held me back.


OK, good to know. SO to help yourself commit, try this. The old pros and cons on a sheet of paper or a spread sheet. 2 columns, one for, one against.

For:
I want to
I will feel the freedom of the open road.
I can travel and stop whenever I want, wherever I want
No motels
No bed bugs
No reservations
no standing in line at the front desk
A possible hedge against hyper-inflation
Never a regret that you didn't try it

Against:
I won't have the $ in my account
I might not like driving it
I might not like sleeping in it
It might have defects and need repairs
Maybe the warranty won't cover the repairs or be aggravating to deal with
I will have to sell and take a financial hit if prices come back down.

First envision all the good stuff and get all happy and excited! Then envision the bad, and your worst scenario: you bail on it and sell it at a loss after dumping $$ into repairs that the manufacturer wouldn't cover. Resign yourself to the fact that it could happen, that you take a hit financially, and life goes on and you survive and find something else to make you happy. This is important to envision. Cover the whole worst case scenario in your mind from start to finish. Once you have lived thru it in your mind, and you know you will survive it, you will no longer fear it.

Then review the good again, and decide.

BTW, I have used this method before to overcome indecisiveness and anxiety about something, and it is amazing how it changes things.

notsobigjoe

southeast

Senior Member

Joined: 09/15/2016

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/08/21 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hemi Joel wrote:

cptqueeg wrote:



Intellectually I know I can afford it, it's the emotional part that has held me back.


OK, good to know. SO to help yourself commit, try this. The old pros and cons on a sheet of paper or a spread sheet. 2 columns, one for, one against.

For:
I want to
I will feel the freedom of the open road.
I can travel and stop whenever I want, wherever I want
No motels
No bed bugs
No reservations
no standing in line at the front desk
A possible hedge against hyper-inflation
Never a regret that you didn't try it

Against:
I won't have the $ in my account
I might not like driving it
I might not like sleeping in it
It might have defects and need repairs
Maybe the warranty won't cover the repairs or be aggravating to deal with
I will have to sell and take a financial hit if prices come back down.

First envision all the good stuff and get all happy and excited! Then envision the bad, and your worst scenario: you bail on it and sell it at a loss after dumping $$ into repairs that the manufacturer wouldn't cover. Resign yourself to the fact that it could happen, that you take a hit financially, and life goes on and you survive and find something else to make you happy. This is important to envision. Cover the whole worst case scenario in your mind from start to finish. Once you have lived thru it in your mind, and you know you will survive it, you will no longer fear it.

Then review the good again, and decide.

BTW, I have used this method before to overcome indecisiveness and anxiety about something, and it is amazing how it changes things.



Add to the cons, The ever present breakdown. It's no longer a possibility on my rig but a question as to when. But I know it's coming and I am prepared for it. With that said your pro's list is good. Anything used is a gamble anything new is a major disappointment when things don't go right. But you only live once. Sorry for the metaphors.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > Can't overcome the fear of buying a Truck and TC.......
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.