Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do cellphone boosters work for RV camping with poor signal?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Do cellphone boosters work for RV camping with poor signal?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience, I've had 3/4 bars when nothing showed on the phone itself. Used a WeBoost with the little 6 inch antenna and about 10 feet of cable. Set the antenna on the middle of the truck roof and bingo, it works.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wow, a lot more positives than i was expecting
bumpy

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an old Wilson booster with trucker antenna atop the ladder. The booster has a wireless access connected to the device inside the RV. Bought it with advice here at least a decade ago. It is still working for 1900 MHz. Even outside my house it boosts our signal from one to three bars. Used to be able to read that in MHz but they took away that feature! I’ve also used an antenna locator app but that was before antennas were so widespread. Just moved the setup to our new RV and realize I might want to upgrade. My Wilson is still selling for about $35 on eBay.

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Sagebrush

Jacksonville AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Surecall home type system with the omni directional antenna, it works better than my older Wilson mobile unit. I haven't tried the current weboost models or another mobile unit. So I can't compare the performance, but it reall helps to have the antenna up high. I like the higher gain antennas of the fixed types. My antenna is mounted to rigid electrical conduit strapped temporarily to a ladder. Probably 15' off the ground. Makes a big difference in the rural areas.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without hijacking the thread, which product would you recommend that does NOT require any permanent installation in the RV? I'm hoping for something very simple -- a "plug and play" device.

Obviously, a simple device is not going to match the performance of a high-end unit. But when we go camping, we sometimes have great cell coverage. We often have absolutely no coverage in the boonies. So we only need a boost for those times when there is some weak coverage, maybe a third of the time.

Thanks to the experts who are chiming in!! Very informative.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I've seen some folks run the cable to the external antenna thru the slide seal. But you will have a interior antenna and the amplifier inside.

Right now we are 25+ miles to the nearest town and have 3 bars of Verizon with no cell towers within miles. We are sitting right, about 30 feet away from a thousand foot cliff and there is a town about 26 miles away in that direction so I think we are picking that signal up.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last Friday I was way out in the sticks with barely one bar on my phone. I got a phone call and could barely hear the caller. I turned on my weBoost booster and the phone call came alive just like I was in town. It works well for me.

I will say though, if I have three or more bars I don't see any improvement.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Do cellphone boosters work for RV camping with poor signal?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.