cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Very Expensive RV Parking Spot!

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Bit of a long story but felt like sharing our excitement...

We live in the SF Bay Area where the price of land is insanely expensive. I like to keep my truck and camper parked indoors but living in the suburbs, that isn't an option at home. Instead we keep it at an indoor garage up in San Jose. Kind of interesting actually as the garage is used for exotics like Ferrari's, Lamborghinis and Fort GTs and then of course my big old F350 7.3 with a truck camper!

Anyway... so we have been thinking about buying a fifth wheel for longer trips with our two teenagers and twin babies. The issue is that indoor storage for that in the bay area would be more than the monthly payment for the trailer itself. Not wanting to leave it outside in a lot subject to the elements, we started looking at options. I have family up in Redding and we believe that in 5 years, we will be headed their ourselves to raise our twin girls.

We started looking for some land to purchase and found something worth buying! It is 9 acres that has a seasonal creek and get this... a rock dam built in the 1850s! Behind the dam has completely filled in with sediment so it doesn't hold water. Might look into pulling permits to clear some of it out but given the age of the Dam, guessing the Army Corps of Engineers is going to prefer the sediment. I don't know for certain but I do have reason to believe there is a spring behind the dam (hence why it was built long ago) as there appears to be water that flows out the bottom of the dam even when everything else has dried up.There is a mix of oak and pine on it and it is off the main road so no road noise!

For the foreseeable future, it is just going to be a really expensive parking spot. The plan right now is to use it to park the sometime to be purchased 5th wheel (looking at Heritage Glenn 378FL). I will probably get some RV metal carport to keep it protected until we eventually build a barn / shop to hold the toys and a main house for living if current plans hold up.

Below are some pics of the place taken during the early Spring. Obviously it will be a lot drier in the summer as Redding is but that is okay.

Someday might even host a Truck Camper meetup event as a launching point for an Oregon coast tour or something. Would be fun to see some of you guys again in person!

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
17 REPLIES 17

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sorry that I can't like, devildog1971.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

devildog1971
Explorer
Explorer
That is why I do not live in California here if you own the land clean out the sediment you are only reconstructing a historical landmark thank GOD not everywhere is like California. But with California moving East and bringing California ways with them hope us farmers can survive. I was in court a few days ago two 18 year old kids drove 4 wheelers through the windrows of my hayfield. Seems their parents weโ€™re outraged they were fined for destroying what they called just piled up grass. That piled up grass was going to be bailed the next day. Cost me about $500.00 at least not counting my labor not apology just anger from kids and parents alike
2019 Northern Lite 10-2 EXCDSE Dry Bath 2007 G M C dually crew cab and 2018 Harley Davidson Limited Low

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Security is easy when you have power and WI-FI.
Power can be from solars, but can you tap to neighbors Internet?
Plenty of cameras who not only will give light and vocal warnings to the intruder, but will alarm your android, so you can talk to the person.
They seem to be only working prevention for mail theft we have common in Las Vegas.
Now letting stranger live on your property is putting hanging rope around your neck.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Security is a concern for sure. Nice thing about this property though is it is at the end of a dead end road that has only two houses on it and the driveway is off of that. Unless you knew it was there, 99% of people wouldn't even think about it when driving by.

I am also considering having a caretaker stay on the place to keep an eye on things and keep the brush down in exchange for a cheap or free place to live. Problem with that is needing them to be fully self contained since I don't have power, water or septic (power and water are at the corner of the lot however) so it would take the right person to want to "rough" it a little.

Other option is getting some security cameras setup to record what is happening. Not as much of a deterrent as someone living there but better than nothing. Also better for peace of mind being able to take a look at the state of the 5th wheel at any time remotely should I have a concern. Logistical issues of course for Internet but maybe Elon will solve that for me...

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
We are sorta in the same situation. The Bigfoot, Landmark, utility trailer, and GoDevil boat sit in my junkyard behind/beside the house. It's surrounded by a 6ft privacy fence so I don't have to look at from the back porch. Bigfoot has a fabric cover on it.
Wife has the old family farm about an hour away. 70 acres. A few houses around. Power and water available out on the highway. We're growing 30,000 pine trees on it for the agriculture tax exemption.
We considered building an RV "carport" on it to protect the Landmark and Bigfoot. But, I would assume both would be broken into and gutted of anything worth selling. Heck they would likely steal the carport too.
So, think about security first.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
6 hr drive time can be a bummer.
Over the years we had friends who bought 2nd house in Pinecrest and the 3-4 hr drive from Bay Area prevent them from using it too often.
Other Bay Area friends bought condo in Lake Tahoe, where mid week you can make it in 3 hr (car from East Bay) and still commute is biggest problem.

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks all for the positive thoughts! For those that wondered, yes, we looked into building permits and I've been on the phone and e-mail with the Shasta County building department for all the important questions before we put an offer. We are in escrow now and should be closing Monday.

The creek is seasonal and thus dries up late Spring so there are less restrictions than a year round creek. Last I was told (property is 6 hours away from where I live so haven't gotten to go back yet since we looked at it) there was water coming out the bottom of the dam. I do believe there is a good chance there is a Spring that is behind the dam but has been mostly covered over by the layers of silt over the years. Thinking about sinking a perforated pipe down into the ground behind the dam to see if anything comes out. We have water and power at the lot though I may consider adding a well later for pasture irrigation.

We won't be living in the 5th wheel or anything. It literally is just a parking space to keep it. I do have plans to build a metal RV shelter just to protect it from the elements. I will probably add solar on the roof of the shelter so we have power should we come and visit family in the area and want our own place to stay for a week or so at a time. For water (until pipes are run from the street) and sewer I am thinking about buying some large storage tanks that can sit under the trailer. Thinking a 500 gal or 1000 gal tanks should be plenty for a week at a time. I will pay a porta potty company to come pump out the black water tank as necessary.

Fingers crossed, I will see about hosting a Truck Camper meetup there next Spring like we did a couple of years ago on the coast. Maybe a two night thing and people can use it as a launchpad for bigger trips up the coast or something. Would be great to see you all again!

2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thankful for my 5ac here in NC,with NO zoning, HOA, etc. Have 7 ac in MD that is now zoned but no HOA etc and I am grand fathered in there, Place in WV don't even need building permit just health dept for septic. I really feel for those that have little land and all the various restrictions the govt heaps on. With current administration looks like it will only get worse.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Check all the laws before pulling the trigger.
My friends bought farmland in Yuba area, what looks very similar to what you picture.
They have pretty strong creek going via center of their property, but they are not allowed to draw water from it.
Than they spend what car cost for well drilling.
Most of California is also chasing RV and some jurisdictions also mobile homes, so they will not allow electricity hookup, till you start construction of stick structure.
On other hand, farmlands do have agriculture water supply.
For $300 a year (old price I remember), they have 2" pipe with no meter and water in it for 8 months a year. They build a pond supplied by agriculture water.
Also what might be good on long run is registering your vehicles in the country.
Much lower registration and insurance fees and possible no smogs.
I was considering same move in Las Vegas just for smog and registration issues, but finding land with water in the area proves to be impossible, when my house has lot of parking space.

It wasn't clear from the first post if the OP bought or is considering.

Definitely find out the zoning and related rules beforehand. It's very possible the property is all but unusable. Water features look nice but they increase the complications exponentially if they need to be touched and out west water rights are a huge deal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
The very greatest most long lasting benefit to our family was our purchasing of land in the country. I could never find any drawbacks except for some hard work now and then which helps keep you strong as you age. Growing up in San Jose prompted us to acquire this goal at an early age. It has been wonderful and I thank God for it.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Check all the laws before pulling the trigger.
My friends bought farmland in Yuba area, what looks very similar to what you picture.
They have pretty strong creek going via center of their property, but they are not allowed to draw water from it.
Than they spend what car cost for well drilling.
Most of California is also chasing RV and some jurisdictions also mobile homes, so they will not allow electricity hookup, till you start construction of stick structure.
On other hand, farmlands do have agriculture water supply.
For $300 a year (old price I remember), they have 2" pipe with no meter and water in it for 8 months a year. They build a pond supplied by agriculture water.
Also what might be good on long run is registering your vehicles in the country.
Much lower registration and insurance fees and possible no smogs.
I was considering same move in Las Vegas just for smog and registration issues, but finding land with water in the area proves to be impossible, when my house has lot of parking space.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m envious!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I think we all would like to come and camp on your spot! ๐Ÿ™‚ Nice find.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congratulations, good luck with it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member