Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Marathon driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Marathon driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A long time ago in a land far away we drove NY to Bisbee AZ non stop, plus other grueling driving-thons across the nation.

Now it is the 330 rule, 330 miles or 3:30 pm and the driving is done and no driving on heavy wind or rain days. Driving in snow, not even an issue, no way no how.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prior to our both being retired, we do some Bonzai Driving.
With a log book that shows a 1101 mile day to show for it, we have dropped this entirely. I set the planner for 8 hours of driving and do my best to make that work. Life is better this way.

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.
Charles Kuralt

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a short (4 year approx) (after my first retirement career) with a local auto company delivering via flatbed truck to customers high dollar autos from metro-Atlanta area to the Pembroke Pines area near Ft lauderdale. Since time was money I did a few there and back trips and it always took me a couple of days to recoup. Too old and no need to do stuff like that today. Dangerous and foolish is no longer in my repertoire.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing like being twenty years old and taking off from Chicago to see the Worlds Fair in New York after work on a Friday night. Drove nonstop except for gas. Switching seats without stopping in a 1964 Chevelle. As the sun rose it pointed right down the stretch of I80 we were on. How we did not kill ourselves I will never know. Never did that again. Plus the fair was so, so. The Blue ridge mountains were so much better.

Now days leave at 9:00. Stop at 3:00 wherever I land.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB
Chevy 4500 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Heh heh. I remember those days. Now we go like 300 kilometres...on a long day...and usually less. But everyone has their own schedule.

Stay safe out there.

fourthclassC

MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/10/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great trip report. I love to see those, especially when they highlight a problem free trip. Thank you.!!
Also, its great to see that my wife and myself are just like the rest of the folks describing their travel schedules and how they have evolved over time of becoming more "mature" See ya'all out on the road.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Marathon driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.