cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pt Townsend Coupeville Ferry Seattle Area

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m planning to take the Pt Townsend Coupeville ferry on 8/8 and concerned about ramp clearance for my low clearance MH. Negative tide at 10am and 4’ at 3pm which is the time I’m considering. I’ll be in Pt Townsend for a few days and will get a visual on the ramp with tides. But thinking I should made a reservation ahead of time. Also need to understand turning radius as I can’t back up with the toad and prefer to not disconnect.

Suggestions etc appreciated.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
12 REPLIES 12

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
Here are 2 of the sites that I use.

WSF vessel locator

AIS world vessel locator
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
Pangaea Ron wrote:
We like to camp at Fort Casey SP and watch the ferries come and go. I've watched them circle in the fog just offshore waiting for the fog to clear for more than 45 minutes. I have an app on my cell phone that allows me to track their position.

What’s the name of that app? Would love to download it.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We like to camp at Fort Casey SP and watch the ferries come and go. I've watched them circle in the fog just offshore waiting for the fog to clear for more than 45 minutes. I have an app on my cell phone that allows me to track their position.
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pangaea Ron wrote:
This is how the ride can be. The ferry skipper is amazing.

That's probably the classic case of a stiff west wind against the outgoing tidal current, producing short choppy waves.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The video demonstrates why I didn’t join the Navy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My buddy takes his Maserati, Ferrari and Aston Martin (I know, right?) on that ferry every single weekend. Never ever had a problem with clearance. I've taken my Challenger SRT on it that scrapes some speed bumps and never hit.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
This is how the ride can be. The ferry skipper is amazing.

Wild Ferry Landing
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
OBTW--- it is alway good to do the reservations on the ferry.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/sailing-schedules/low-tide

Port Townsend is not one of the runs with a low clearance warning. Cancellations later in August (19+) are due to currents (at the Coopeville end). Strongest cross current occurs somewhat before low tide

https://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/when-the-ferry-quits-dredging-begins-at-keystone-harbor/

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
I’m planning to take the Pt Townsend Coupeville ferry on 8/8 and concerned about ramp clearance for my low clearance MH. Negative tide at 10am and 4’ at 3pm which is the time I’m considering. I’ll be in Pt Townsend for a few days and will get a visual on the ramp with tides. But thinking I should made a reservation ahead of time. Also need to understand turning radius as I can’t back up with the toad and prefer to not disconnect.

Suggestions etc appreciated.

As posted, it should not be a problem.

remember...The short cut... leaving the ferry on Whidbey Island side ... It is a left turn thru Ft. Casey.. swing wide use both lanes, and do not follow Highway 20. That takes you 10 miles out of your way. The Left turn brings you out (Engles Rd) at the traffic signal on Hw-20 then direct to Oak Harbor.

Use Google Map.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
The 4 foot tide should not be a problem, the ferry is often not running at extreme low tides.

Do not let them place you too close to the sidewalls at the front of the ferry. We could not turn the MH with our tail-swing to exit the ferry, and they needed to back up vehicles behind us, so the we could also back-up and make a more gentle turn. No one was happy!
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L