Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: water heater works fine - IF- I leave door open
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> water heater works fine - IF- I leave door open

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Lwiddis

Williams AZ area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can’t wait for Saddlebag Lake to open. It’s over 10,000.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist14 yr. Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what color is the flame when you have the door open. I was having this issue also because I had it adjusted to lean and when I closed the door it would go out. then some one told me to adjust it so it was just flickering yellow when the door was open and its has been good since. but pinching a wire would do it also if there are any wires that can be pinched when you close the door. there isnt in mine.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"The RETURN millivolt signal for flame is NOT that strong and will be disrupted by a slight short to ground." Return signal? Are you saying that the Suburban design uses the spark apparatus as double duty for whether or not the flame lit? If true, that seems dumb.

There does not appear to be any damage to the orange wire, looks new. The connection to the lug is shiny and clean.

As suggested, I cleaned the burner tube. The air-gas mixture is fixed, not adjustable.

Timeking

Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Further screwing with this thing reveals that sometimes the gas valve opens but the spark don't spark, while other time the sparker sparks but the gas valve doesn't open. One fireball, luckily with the door open, is enough for me to get a qualified repairman.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

........ If true, that seems dumb.

But not uncommon. I’ve had several gas appliances that also use the igniter for flame detection. I’m guessing $$ has something to do with it. [emoticon]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

"The RETURN millivolt signal for flame is NOT that strong and will be disrupted by a slight short to ground." Return signal? Are you saying that the Suburban design uses the spark apparatus as double duty for whether or not the flame lit? If true, that seems dumb.

There does not appear to be any damage to the orange wire, looks new. The connection to the lug is shiny and clean.

As suggested, I cleaned the burner tube. The air-gas mixture is fixed, not adjustable.

Not only does Suburban but also Atwood/Dometic, Norcold for water heaters, fridges, furnaces etc

And it is VERY Smart technology
When the Flame ignites ti creates a current (Flame Rectification)
Flame generated AC Current is rectified into a DC Current which the circuit board senses via the milliamp signal thru the Spark Electrode.
All this takes place w/o further devices/equipment/sensors and happens within seconds of gas valve opening/spark electrode firing
No flame proving signal....circuit board shuts down DC to gas valve---hence no excess raw fuel

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timeking wrote:

Further screwing with this thing reveals that sometimes the gas valve opens but the spark don't spark, while other time the sparker sparks but the gas valve doesn't open. One fireball, luckily with the door open, is enough for me to get a qualified repairman.

These details suggest circuit board valve track is issue

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check for a good ground.
The gas valve coils have a ground connection behind the gas valve.
There is a ground coming through the wiring harness as well.
I cleaned the valve ground and connected the harness ground to it with a short piece of #14 SAE black wire
Did you clean the contacts on the circuit board?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the board is not a potted board you can remove it and look at the reverse side for and burnt or discolored solder tracks. While it is out you can try cleaning the contacts also. If it is a potted board it can be checked with a multi meter. Attwood has a guide on their web site, Suburban should also. If problem is intermittent check the ground that Bud mentioned this fixed my issue before. I had this intermittent issue similar to yours where it worked sometimes and not others. Sometimes I would get 12v to the board and sometimes nothing. It drove me crazy for a long time. Every time I would check the brown 12v wire it would read 12v, then when I checked it at the board sometimes it was fine other times it was bad. What it turned out to be was a loose crimp. When I closed the door, the door hit the brown wire sometimes loosing the 12v supply. Re crimped a new terminal and all was good again.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The crimps, mentioned by Gary, are in the area of the ECO and thermostat. Couple are hidden behind shrink tube enclosing thermal fuse.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> water heater works fine - IF- I leave door open
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.