Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Lithium Ion Batteries...Yikes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lithium Ion Batteries...Yikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, glad you’re ok and your rig is ...mostly ok.
Please share the specifics on your jump pack and if there is any determination of the cause. Scary stuff.
Like a lot of folks I have a couple of those LiFe PO4 jump packs kicking around.
And I can guarantee both would cause some serious collateral damage right now if that happened.
Heck,one of them is in my snowmobile backpack hanging upstairs in a closet in the house.
One doesn’t really know the propensity for this to occur. Extremely low % I’m certain, but many Years ago, I believe we were part of that low %. There was no “investigation”
By the insurance company, but my dads pickup, a plain ole 80s Chevy, spontaneously combusted middle of the night, burning down 3 vehicles and our attached garage.
Neighbors saw it first and said fire under the hood of the truck.
Only plausible explanation. Only source of ignition I can figure.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just another reason to be careful. I'm glad you are ok. I'll be interested in the follow up.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

lbrjet

Gold Canyon, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Chevy Bolt did the same thing about a week ago. Could have easily burned down the house.

2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

I'd be looking this thing up and see if others have had the same experience.

The dive boat off the Santa Barbara (CA) coast - multiple fatalities caused by fire originating in (small) lithium Ion batt(s)for various
camera equipment, etc. Probably started in one and spread to others. Guests sleeping below deck were unable to escape.

The Chevy Bolt - some folks have purchased lith Ion batts from wrecked electric cars to use in golf carts. One member on SKPs forums had what was suspected to be a short in the golf cart batt - parked under the overhang of his 5th wheel. (BTW he's an electrical engr).

He rated the fire as an "explosion" (at 2:30 AM while sleeping)- which was so intense the smoke detectors didn't have time to alarm....and he had only seconds for himself, wife & dog to escape. Fifth wheel (& of course the golf cart) completely destroyed.

All batteries deserve respect - but Lithium Ion Batteries deserve
very special "mega" respect!

A Fire Dept in a suburb of Houston even called Tesla for advice on how to extinguish a car fire which simply would not go out despite repeated efforts by use of various extinguishing agents - and thousands of gallons of water over a period of 4 hours.
The crash (& fatality of both occupants) was supposedly caused by use of the "driverless" feature being improperly utilized. (Google it).

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/09/21 10:07pm by ol Bombero-JC *

RickLight

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/21 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lbrjet wrote:

A Chevy Bolt did the same thing about a week ago. Could have easily burned down the house.

My dad's house did burn down, but the cause was a normal car.
Gasoline has a higher energy density than any battery.

Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/21 11:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RickLight wrote:

lbrjet wrote:

My dad's house did burn down, but the cause was a normal car.
Gasoline has a higher energy density than any battery.

Sorry about your dad's loss.

Higher density, etc. -
Gasoline fed fires (by car/s in garages, etc.) are routinely extinguished, most often without extension to an attached house - by urban fire departments with "normal" response times of 5 min or less.

Usually a supply line is laid for back-up, but the 400 gal of water (or more) on a fire apparatus is sufficient for initial knock-down, containment - and often extinguishment.

Put the wet stuff on the red stuff - they go "out"!

[emoticon]

* This post was edited 05/09/21 11:10pm by ol Bombero-JC *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lithium Ion Batteries...Yikes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.