cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can1500w inverter or Honda 2k gen work 900w Microwave

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My brother has a High Point microwave 900w with 1350w operating. He says the inverter won't run the microwave even on a totally isolated circuit. Starts then stops. Now he is worried that his Hoinda 2200i generator may not have enough power either. He has major trips coming up and wants to get the microwave working off shore power.
20 REPLIES 20

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, out at the beach camping with my brother. Put the kill-a-watt on directly to inverter and turned on microwave. He was shocked to see 1500-1550 watts. We did a bunch of other testing, but bottom line is microwave exceeds power limits of inverter. He will get a 2000w.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
JimK-NY wrote:
It sounds like the brother is going to use the generator to charge the batteries and then use an inverter to use the battery power for the microwave. Bad idea. Use the generator solely for the microwave by hooking it to the RV's 110 service.

Many of us do just that. If I stop for lunch I don't want to be deploying the generator.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
DAS26miles wrote:
My brother has a High Point microwave 900w with 1350w operating. He says the inverter won't run the microwave even on a totally isolated circuit. Starts then stops. Now he is worried that his Hoinda 2200i generator may not have enough power either. He has major trips coming up and wants to get the microwave working off shore power.

The Honda should have plenty of power to run the microwave without any additional loads. It sounds like the brother is going to use the generator to charge the batteries and then use an inverter to use the battery power for the microwave. Bad idea. Use the generator solely for the microwave by hooking it to the RV's 110 service.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
DAS26miles wrote:
My brother says he has 2awg cable going from inverter to 2 BB Lithium batteries.

Try 00 ga cable for runs up to about 5 feet, bigger if farther.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
DAS26miles wrote:
My brother now says he isn't sure if he has run the microwave off the generator now. He's been in full hookup CGs a few times. Not much dry camping since Covid. So the Honda 2200i must be able to handle the microwave. It's just the GoPower 1500w inverter. GoPower wants him to do some tests tomorrow and give them a call back. I will be able to check it out tomorrow afternoon at the CG. I have the devices to do so. I bet he has something drawing extra power from the inverter.

When trying, make sure that the onboard converter-charger is switched to off...

3 tons

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
My brother now says he isn't sure if he has run the microwave off the generator now. He's been in full hookup CGs a few times. Not much dry camping since Covid. So the Honda 2200i must be able to handle the microwave. It's just the GoPower 1500w inverter. GoPower wants him to do some tests tomorrow and give them a call back. I will be able to check it out tomorrow afternoon at the CG. I have the devices to do so. I bet he has something drawing extra power from the inverter.

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I run my 1000 watt micro with my Honda 2K,, I just tell the wife to not go over power level 8 when on the genny! Works just fine. Sure does go into high revs but she pulls hard and does the job.
Most places we go have an 8-8 geny hour. so with my solar I dont need it during the day, but for dinner we can use the micro and let the genny run for a couple of hours if needed to tip top off the batts if needed.
We do bring along some frozen prepared earlier meals for ease of camping. A few minutes in the micro makes a quick meal!
One tip,, I run True Fuel 4 cycle so no ethanol at all!!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
The inverter, with that load, will be pulling at least 135 amps from the batteries. #2 cable is marginal at best for a very short run. Larger battery cables should help some.
Is this a pure sine wave inverter or a modified sine wave inverter? If it's a MSW that may also be part of the problem, microwaves (and most other electronics) don't like them very well.
The Honda shouldn't have any trouble at all.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The 2200 should power the microwave with ease.

When I had a 2500watt msw inverter it had a tough time running a dometic 1557 watt microwave. Some times I would have to run a small load (30 watts) to "wake up" the inverter before I used the microwave.

It will be interesting to hear the results of voltage drop on the BB batteries.

Are they wired in a balanced manner?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
A Honda 2000i will run it as will a 2200i...This assumes proper cable sizing to prevent the inverter from starving...FWIW, on another note a Lithium battery is not as sluggish as wet cells, and will result in very little voltage sag...I would opt for heavier cables...

3 tons - formerly having a Honda 2000i, 2000w inverter and 1500w MW, now with a more energy conscious 1100w MW and Honda 2200i - always 0004 ought cabling 7โ€™ r/t length...

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
My Honda Eu200i runs my microwave. I always turn off the eco switch first so the generator ramps up. Many times the starting surge slows the microwave down momentarily, but it comes back up fairly quickly. Sometimes I turn off the charge controller so I'm not trying to power the batteries at the same time as the microwave.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I've been able to run mine while the Honda 2k powers it. In fact, I had to tell the DW to let the generator run for a minute before slapping the MW on. I had to explain to her the generator needs a minute to warm up. She literally pressed the ON button just as the generator fired.

I have never tried an inverter.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
It may depend on other thigns.
My Inverter was 2000 watts not sure of the Dometic/LG microwave. CDMW12
Ok now sure
Power 1100 watts
Rated consumption 1500 Watts

My 2000 watt inverter needed FULL batteries to Well make a less than 1000 watt cup of coffee. .But it ran the microwave fairly.

You have a 900 watt or about 82% (81 and change)
81 (and change) Percent of 1500 is 1227 and change

That is close But the Honda should take it provided, once againg the batteries are FULL or the converter is OFF.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DAS26miles
Explorer
Explorer
MY brother travels alone and only uses the microwave to cook or defrost for s hort time. He only drains the 200amp bank about 50amps max and he has 400watts of solar which usually recharges the batteries.
Again, I will see him tomorrow at the campground and give it a full checkout. I think his microwave has his inverte overloaded and cutting out because of it. He called GoPower today but hasn't returned my call yet.