cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV tire life

poorboy
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure its been talked about in the past, but I can't find it. I have Good Year tires on my p/u with only 30k miles and lots of tread left, but they are original tires. The sidewalls are clean no cracks or scuffs. Can they last longer or do I need to replace them. I replaced the tires on the TT every 5 years, the last time I used GY endurance. I was thinking about Michelin LTX for the P/U, what do you all use. Thanks in advance for your help.
2013 Chevy 2500 CC LTZ D'Max 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS
2013 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
2017 peterbilt.
Truckin 38 yrs. Car Hauler 25 yrs. Camping my whole life
39 REPLIES 39

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They might be the life blood, but I’m probably going to have to donate a kidney to put new shoes on the Ram, so if they make it longer than 4 years, I’m runnin ‘em!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We always think of tires as the life-blood of our trucks. Any thought or look of an issue, we buy a new set, usually about four years or so. Unless something odd happens, like a cut or nail - a road hazard.

The one place we never try to 'save money' ... your life and family lives ride on your tires. The damage potential on a blowout is much greater than the cost of a tire, or even a set. Others might think differently. We save bucks when we can, but not on tires. We buy BFG AT's, but there are plenty of good solid brands out there. Bargain tires never enter our picture.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
The tires on my GMC are stamped 1416 and they probably will last another 2 or 3 years on treadwear at least. Oh my God, they're 5 years and a month old. I had better rip them off and spend a grand before the Earth's rotation shifts, and we all go careening off into space. Nothing like living dangerously.

There does need to be some official clarification on how long tires should last. Dealers want to be able to sell old inventory at full price and not discuss the age with the customer while manufacturers want to deny liability for older tires.

Different types of tires seem to have different length of life and there seems to be some randomness in tires life. My experience has been that Michelin tires are great if you wear them out in 4 years or so but age faster than other brands. I had a van with factory Goodyear tires. Two of the five tires dry-rotted and starting leaking out of the sidewalls when only about 4 years old while the other three made it 6 years and were still holding air when the tread wore out. They all had the same manufacturing date. I have a set of Firestone tires on a trailer that are 8 years old and still look great. I don't think that I would load that trailer up and go on a long trip with those tires though.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
When a set of tires on the Excursion started to show signs of aging I replaced them and gave the old tires to a friend who uses them on a truck to go around town. Gave another set away to a farmer who uses them on a trailer. I've been happy with Hankook tires, I ran them about 40k miles and replaced them with good tread still left. I replace them before the tread bar appears. Want enough tread to disperse water and heat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bummer blofgren. That beer we were supposed to have is probably warm by now too...
Can’t reach it from here, lol!
Here’s to the border opening soon!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ricky the store manager in Burlington has been the Manager for a while now in Bellingham.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
blofgren wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
Every set of Michelin tires I had were junk! I will not run Michelin on anything i own. Blows outs, flat tires for no reason, unable to balance or keep a balance they were all junk. As far as I am concerned stay as far away from Michelin as possible.

Strange how different users have different results.

Michelin is the best tires I have ever owned. Years of trouble free service, high mileage, excellent performance in all conditions.
I put them on and just drive. Minus 35C or plus 35C, dosen't matter, they just go and go and go. Current set has over 70,000 miles and still performing like a champ.
I won't buy anything but Michelin. They run circles around every other brand I have ever owned.

Possibly you just had one of those isolated bad experiences.

I agree with your comments on Michelin tires, Bob. I have always had very good experiences with them as well.

I actually just had a set of new Michelin LTX AT2 tires put on my truck this past Tuesday at Costco and the difference between them and the stock Generals that were on the truck is amazing; much smoother and no more vibration at highway speeds! They are also super quiet, which is great for an all terrain tire.

I would have gone with the MS2's or Defenders, but unfortunately Michelin doesn't make either in LT235/80R17 which is what my dually takes. I was going to go with LT245/75R17's which are made in those models, but I was getting flack from tire shops about mounting them on the 6" wide rims on my Ram (they're supposed to be mounted on 6 1/2" rims) so I stuck with the stock size tires.

And that’s why I wouldn’t buy a tire from Costco if I rolled up driving on 2 flats and 1 bare rim!
What you proposed is 1000% fine but the Costco drones won’t do it.
I actually don’t like Costco for mostly this reason, but I’m a sucker for a good deal, so I still shop there. Just got whiskey, scallops, some t shirts , shop towels and car wash soap yesterday. Thank god I didn’t need tires. Doubt they even carry 37x12.50s, lol.

I hear you, bud. And even though these Michelins are the same size as the Generals that the truck had new, they are noticeably narrower so now I wish I had gone with the 245's because they definitely would have worked. Another local tire guy was willing to mount 245's but said I may have a clearance problem between the rear tires, which now I see I wouldn't have.

The main reason I deal with Costco is because of price; we get ripped big time up here on tires. I would have visited my friends at Discount Tire in Burlington if the border was open and probably saved at least 30% over what it cost me here.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

pitch
Explorer
Explorer
ShantiFei wrote:
Thanks for the tips.. I've been planning to get new tires at 4wheelonline to tow an RV. I'm thinking if Nitto Ridge Grappler will do the trick. But it would be great to see more ideas and suggestions with regards to towing from you guys.

Starting your own threadin beginning RV would be the best way for you to have your questions answered.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
The tires on my GMC are stamped 1416 and they probably will last another 2 or 3 years on treadwear at least. Oh my God, they're 5 years and a month old. I had better rip them off and spend a grand before the Earth's rotation shifts, and we all go careening off into space. Nothing like living dangerously.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blofgren wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
grizz272 wrote:
Every set of Michelin tires I had were junk! I will not run Michelin on anything i own. Blows outs, flat tires for no reason, unable to balance or keep a balance they were all junk. As far as I am concerned stay as far away from Michelin as possible.

Strange how different users have different results.

Michelin is the best tires I have ever owned. Years of trouble free service, high mileage, excellent performance in all conditions.
I put them on and just drive. Minus 35C or plus 35C, dosen't matter, they just go and go and go. Current set has over 70,000 miles and still performing like a champ.
I won't buy anything but Michelin. They run circles around every other brand I have ever owned.

Possibly you just had one of those isolated bad experiences.

I agree with your comments on Michelin tires, Bob. I have always had very good experiences with them as well.

I actually just had a set of new Michelin LTX AT2 tires put on my truck this past Tuesday at Costco and the difference between them and the stock Generals that were on the truck is amazing; much smoother and no more vibration at highway speeds! They are also super quiet, which is great for an all terrain tire.

I would have gone with the MS2's or Defenders, but unfortunately Michelin doesn't make either in LT235/80R17 which is what my dually takes. I was going to go with LT245/75R17's which are made in those models, but I was getting flack from tire shops about mounting them on the 6" wide rims on my Ram (they're supposed to be mounted on 6 1/2" rims) so I stuck with the stock size tires.

And that’s why I wouldn’t buy a tire from Costco if I rolled up driving on 2 flats and 1 bare rim!
What you proposed is 1000% fine but the Costco drones won’t do it.
I actually don’t like Costco for mostly this reason, but I’m a sucker for a good deal, so I still shop there. Just got whiskey, scallops, some t shirts , shop towels and car wash soap yesterday. Thank god I didn’t need tires. Doubt they even carry 37x12.50s, lol.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Can depend a lot on the environment. Hot dry climate vs cooler damper climate, whether the vehicle is garaged or not etc.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Oh goody, another tire thread. The only way it could be better is if they're on an EV.

EV's don't have tires - isn't there petroleum products in tires? EV's are green, therefore no petroleum or anything that could harm the environment...

GREEN? HA, furthest from the truth.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
GDS-3950BH wrote:
Oh goody, another tire thread. The only way it could be better is if they're on an EV.

EV's don't have tires - isn't there petroleum products in tires? EV's are green, therefore no petroleum or anything that could harm the environment...

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
These Michelin blowouts??? Did they get diagnosed to determine if they were caused by the tire or Road Hazard???????