cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rent a Truck to tow a 5th Wheel or Gooseneck

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know of a rental company that would rent a truck to tow a 5th wheel? We are traveling to an event in June in OR. Almost all hotels are booked due to the Olympic trials at the same time. We need to take both our trailers but only have 1 truck. Too far to do a double trip which I just did this last weekend (closer to home). Any thoughts on national rentals or where to look? One trailer is a 5th wheel and one is a gooseneck.

Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
You will probably have to call the local office. I've got a Buddy that when his truck got hit, Enterprise or Hertz supplied him an F-250 with a gooseneck hitch.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
I just peeked at Enterprise website as well and only saw bumper pull hitch towing equipment ... didn't see anything for 5th wheel or gooseneck. Did I miss it?
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I checked the Enterprise website. Wow, I was surprised. Many years ago I searched for one in Texas with no luck.

If you have a family, a travel trailer, and only a few weeks a year (3 to 6), why pay $30K or more for a pickup when you can rent one trouble-free for $375 a week?

New truck every trip, and for the rental versus ownership you could rent for years to come and not worry about new tires, maintenance and depreciation. Practically a new truck every trip.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

94-D2
Explorer
Explorer
Just pay someone with a 5th wheel or gooseneck. Hotshot or commercial hauler will do it. Or maybe a friend can do you a favor and you can help them out.
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie 6.7L, Aisin, air ride, Ram puck prep, SuperGlide 20K auto slide.
2018 Bighorn Traveler 4 slide w/Apt.

It’s not what you’ve done that commands respect, it’s what you do.

Happy Campin’

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks - I will have to call them, I only see 1/2 ton trucks on their website. Looks like about $1000 per week.

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
Hertz rents F350s with the 5th wheel/gooseneck prep package. You will have to call them early and have them find one for you.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen a pickup from a commercial rental company that was equipped for fifth wheel of gooseneck. Bumper pull, sure, but not 5ers.

You might check with dealers or mobile RV repair guys and see if they know somebody who could provide private-party help.
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rug wrote:
Check around you might be able to find one to rent.

I assume you are talking about the Safety Hitch - you need to replace your standard hitch with a 3 receiver hitch - wouldn't be easy to rent.

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
Check around you might be able to find one to rent.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
wing_zealot wrote:
Enterprise has trucks available for towing. Clicky

Weight limit of trailer - 6000 lbs - hitch only, no gooseneck or 5th wheel.

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting solution for a problem I didn't know existed. Kind of cool, now you can tow a heavier trailer or a 5th wheel from a lifted truck, etc. But at $10K, not a solution for my situation. I'm looking to spend a couple hundred bucks to rent a truck, not buy another truck...

Might be a good solution for that guy with a 3/4 ton truck that wants to pull a 30K lb trailer but doesn't want to buy a dually.

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Rug wrote:
They have dolly's that you pull with a truck or SUV.
These dolly's can pull a 5th wheel or Gooseneck.

You might try one of these.

Was at an intersection and a pick up went thru with this dolly with a 5th wheel on it. So I looked them up.
What they won't think of next.

That I gotta see.

https://youtu.be/Fu1_8Zghgfk

Rug
Explorer
Explorer
They have dolly's that you pull with a truck or SUV.
These dolly's can pull a 5th wheel or Gooseneck.

You might try one of these.

Was at an intersection and a pick up went thru with this dolly with a 5th wheel on it. So I looked them up.
What they won't think of next.
A couple of Mules
with a Covered Wagon

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
Enterprise has trucks available for towing.
Trailers, maybe.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman