cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

To portable dump tank or not to portable dump tank...

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
that is the question.

I am at a seasonal site right now (my first) and we're in a low lying area so I have to pay $20 a week to get pumped, or pack up and dump myself. I've been looking into a portable dump tank, should I do it?

I am traveling a bit but will be here until October.
26 REPLIES 26

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Had a tote with my pop-up. Glad to see that go when we sold it. And that was just grey water. With the current trailer I would have to make two trips a week with a larger tote. No thanks, I will move the trailer. And usually we do move every week anyway so not really an issue. I would pay the $20 for the honey wagon. Although if I could stretch the service to every 10 to 14 days I would be conserving water.

dedmiston
cyrus799 wrote:
I need a refresher course on how to dump RV tanks at home. How to dump RV tanks at home in an easy and safe way?

Hi Cyrus - Welcome to the forum.

Please start a new topic with this question.

I think you'll find pretty quickly that dumping the tanks is no big deal.

My only nugget of wisdom is to find something called a "twist-on valve" at Amazon or Camping World. This valve goes at the end of your dump line just before the cap and provides an extra level of insurance in case you accidentally left a valve handle open.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
cyrus799 wrote:
I need a refresher course on how to dump RV tanks at home. How to dump RV tanks at home in an easy and safe way?

You should probably start a new thread for your question. There is a lot more info needed about your particular situation. First and foremost, do you have easy access to your septic clean out at your house?
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

H___E
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we stayed at a state park near our kids. At that time we had a TT. I had a 32 gallon Barker that I left in the back of the pick-up. I used a macerator pump to empty the RV tanks into the Barker tank. This system worked well for us. To move the TT, with its small holding tanks, every time I needed to dump was a pain.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
blaczero wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
a Silkwood shower

Hah! I wonder if anyone understands that reference.

Good one

I got it.
To the OP is there not a bath house where you are staying that can handle the dooty?
Puma 30RKSS

blaczero
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
a Silkwood shower

Hah! I wonder if anyone understands that reference.

Good one

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I can pretty easily go two weeks without dumping my black. And I would gladly pay $20 to not mess with the portable tank or to pack up and move.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 20 gallon blue tote tank that I use for grey water. I attach it to my hitch ball and it follows behind the TV to the dump station. You could use a tote tank for your gray tank and have the black and gray tank dumped every 2 weeks.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
I had a tote for years and it seemed like I used it more when we were rookies. But when we needed it, we REALLY needed it.

It was a disgusting hassle though. I'm not squeamish at all about dumping the tanks, but that tote was miserable. I remember having to take a Silkwood shower every time I used it, which kind of defeats the purpose of the tote.

I think we got rid of the tote after about five years of RVing and I've never missed it.

While I understand the larger totes can be more difficult to handle.
I think they make less mess. I finally graduated to a 42 gallon to transport the contents of my 40 gallon grey tank.
Knowing the tote will contain the entire contents of the tank is a game changer as it pertains to keeping the mess down and your hands clean ...and dry! :E
I kind of agree the Tote was a rookie era thing.
But my RV is now has bigger tanks. I have also become proficient in allowing the grey tank to back fill into the black tank.
Lately I seldom use my 42 gallon blue tote..
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
We're full timers, 5 months a year we cruise the SPs. Been thinking about getting a tote a dooty for a few years now, still thinking...
The older we get, the faster we go

dedmiston
I had a tote for years and it seemed like I used it more when we were rookies. But when we needed it, we REALLY needed it.

It was a disgusting hassle though. I'm not squeamish at all about dumping the tanks, but that tote was miserable. I remember having to take a Silkwood shower every time I used it, which kind of defeats the purpose of the tote.

I think we got rid of the tote after about five years of RVing and I've never missed it.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:
I used to have a tote. After I bought it I realized that where we normally camp the nearest dump station is likely to be 10 (or more) miles away. Most Forest Service campgrounds in this state have no dump stations, and dumping RV tanks into a vault toilet is against the rules.
The tote sat under the workbench in the shop for about 15 years, then I sold it for less than $20 in a garage sale.
Think about it before buying one. Will you have a place to dump it at the remote campground you like?

Similar situation. I used it a couple of times where we camped in the same spot more than a few days. Since then we've developed better water conservation habits and only stay in the same place about 3 or 4 days at a time. Which is perfect timing for our tank capacity. Now i have this tote thats always in the way lol.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I used to have a tote. After I bought it I realized that where we normally camp the nearest dump station is likely to be 10 (or more) miles away. Most Forest Service campgrounds in this state have no dump stations, and dumping RV tanks into a vault toilet is against the rules.
The tote sat under the workbench in the shop for about 15 years, then I sold it for less than $20 in a garage sale.
Think about it before buying one. Will you have a place to dump it at the remote campground you like?
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If I understand correctly you will be there for 5 months.
$20 a week = $80 a month = $400.00 for 5 months.
You can buy a 42 gallon Barker Tote for $350.00 or so.
If you do a lot of state park camping. A portable tote is a good weapon to have in your arsenal.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide