Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiat 500 for flat towing questions

Hemlockdj
Explorer
Explorer
Good day everyone,

We recently picked up a Fiat 500 to flat tow behind our 23ft class C. Does anyone flat tow a Fiat? If so I have a few questions. It is already setup to flat tow, and was wondering:

A: Does the key need to be into keep the steering unlocked? It does not seem to lock when I pull the key out so I'm assuming not.

B: It came with a braking system, Blue Ox patriot. The previous owner plugged it into the 12v power plug and put the key in acc to power it. Does anyone use a separate power source like the ones for jump starting your car for the braking power?

Thanks in advance,

Dave
2017 23' Chateau
6 REPLIES 6

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you run that line inside?
-jbh-

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a Fiat 500, manual transmission, for 2 years. Did a dedicated power line for the Brake Buddy. Great little fun car. No key needed. Never had a dead battery.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me I would run a dedicated outlet front he battery to power the brake system. And then run a charge wire from the RV to keep the battery charged.
The steering wheel does not lock with the key out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Only the manual-transmission Fiat is flat-towable.

The key isn't needed for the steering.

The lighter/accessory outlet is switched by ACC. You could jumper the breaker to make it always live, run a new wire to an outlet or use an accessory battery pack. The Fiat forum folks appear to believe the jumpering the breaker won't blow up anything but no one's actually done it. I'll do that when I get around to installing the brake. I'm legal without braking but I intend to go with a RVI Brake. I have a Roadmaster air brake rig I used on the Tracker but it won' t work with the Fiat, and it's kind of an overall kludge anyway.
-jbh-

Y-Guy
Dave, you want to check your owners manual, look for "Recreational Towing" to see what the steps are for flat towing your Fiat 500. Your vehicle should be flat tow-able (based on my past research), but the Fiat 500X is not. The additional 12v from the RV is a good idea so you don't drain you're battery.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad