Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Black walnut issue
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black walnut issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Relocate the RV

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black walnuts are very messy when the start shelling out in the fall of the year. (We've had them on our properties) They stain and the husks on the nuts themselves are just downright nasty . They don't call them 'black' walnuts for nothing.

mr_andyj

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, you will be moving soon, in 6 months? Consider instead parking at a storage lot for $50/month or so. 50x6 = $300. done. cheapest option.
That tree is a nightmare. No way out. Waste to spend on a building if you are moving.

Gas is going up up up. Feel pain. Hyperinflation is rearing its head. $4/gallon, maybe $5 in some western states looming. Save your money, you will need it for gas!!!

No fabric, that is another nightmare.

just tarp it or put an RV cover over it if you must park it there under the hell trees...

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/11/21 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, you are trying to have you cake and eat it too. Maybe.
I remember as a kid, those **** trees thing my grandma’s beautiful 71 Buick Centurion.
Seems you’ve sort of painted yourself into a corner options wise.
But save for losing solar....do you need that anyway? Parked full time and no power?
I’d be thinking shade screen, like orchards use. They’re about $100. Make a gable frame out of pvc on your roof . I’d say use lumber but if you do you could probably buy the carport with lumber prices now!
Make a gable frame, drape shade cloth over it. Tie it down to underside of camper or stakes in the ground. Solves every issue save for getting solar

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/11/21 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything is better then nothing. In a good year for the trees the fruit? Or it it a nut? Can do some dammage. I got rid of my trees. They atually cracked the roof of my shead. I feel your pain. And no one in jersey wanted the wood.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two of these should get you through for $100.
Sun Shade Sails
Choose the 12 x 16 size so you have some overlap and can angle them to the front and back so the Walnuts don't lay on them or roll into the center and end up on the coach roof.

Our last set over our deck lasted us about 7 years. Without walnut falling on them of course.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/12/21 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

I have heard that old line forever. I have about 300 black walnuts and never have been offered anything near that. I don't know where that came from Black Walnut is the dominant species around here and considered by most to be a trash tree.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

schlep1967 wrote:

Two of these should get you through for $100.
Sun Shade Sails
Choose the 12 x 16 size so you have some overlap and can angle them to the front and back so the Walnuts don't lay on them or roll into the center and end up on the coach roof.

Our last set over our deck lasted us about 7 years. Without walnut falling on them of course.

That’s what I was looking at, but a 10 x 20 which would cover panels and vents. And I’m not worried about the solar being functional while under it, just protected.

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pitch thats hard to believe. I sold the ones that used to line my driveway for far more than that, they even dug up the roots claimed they sold them to Germany to make pipes. You look the right place you sure can sell them and they do the cutting

hotbyte

Barnesville GA

View Profile

Posted: 05/12/21 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

TenOC wrote:

Black Walnut trees sold as lumber is VERY expensive. Some trees sell for over $1,000. Check if you can sell the trees.

I have heard that old line forever. I have about 300 black walnuts and never have been offered anything near that. I don't know where that came from Black Walnut is the dominant species around here and considered by most to be a trash tree.

Not sure if you've ever checked this info before. No real-world experience in lumber pricing, I've just been interested in reading as a woodworker since construction lumber has shoot through the roof.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.htmlhttps://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/5259.html

2018 Minnie Winnie 24M

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Black walnut issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.