cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasoline/Diesel Shortages

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
I thought it might be a help to our friends on the road to post locations where we have seen long gas lines or fuel stops shut down. Also advise on places near the effected areas that we know have fuel. I know this is a "fluid" situation and things can change quickly, but it might help to keep some fellow RV'ers from getting caught short.
Right now in my area, near Providence RI, I haven't seen any shutdowns.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!
34 REPLIES 34

dedmiston
I'm sticking a fork in this thread and calling it done. The crisis seems to have passed.

Closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
wapiticountry wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

When I was in school I was taught if everybody works together everybody does better.
I would hate to think that I filled my tank to "keep my options open" caused say a ambulance not to have options.
How very true. However they apparently left out the fact that at the last time that happened was never. I take care of myself and pass on babysitting the rest of the world

Grit dog wrote:
wapiticountry wrote:
However they apparently left out the fact that at the last time that happened was never. I take care of myself and pass on babysitting the rest of the world

Bingo. "This" particular issue is, or more accurately, was, a short lived problem. And I'm a very nice helpful person generally, but make no mistake, anyone whom puts others over themselves, in general, is a fool, or a fraud with only the appearance of caring.
I'm also not going to waste time on the differentiation of either.

Well, IMHO, knowing something will be in short supply for a limited time, then running out to buy all I can, instead of what I need is not babysitting the world, but it is not kicking others in the face either. Fact is, because many people are so much Me Me Me stations in states not served by the pipeline are running out of gas. But Darwin's laws might reduce that problem somewhat.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
wapiticountry wrote:
However they apparently left out the fact that at the last time that happened was never. I take care of myself and pass on babysitting the rest of the world

Bingo. "This" particular issue is, or more accurately, was, a short lived problem. And I'm a very nice helpful person generally, but make no mistake, anyone whom puts others over themselves, in general, is a fool, or a fraud with only the appearance of caring.
I'm also not going to waste time on the differentiation of either.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

When I was in school I was taught if everybody works together everybody does better.
I would hate to think that I filled my tank to "keep my options open" caused say a ambulance not to have options.
How very true. However they apparently left out the fact that at the last time that happened was never. I take care of myself and pass on babysitting the rest of the world

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr_andyj wrote:
County ambulances likely get fueled from county owned pumps that supply only to county vehicles (police, ambulance, fire, bus and other), so probably no issues.
So, prices went up a little, we will see if they come back down to last weeks prices or if they stay the same. Ga prices were frozen by the governor, yet they still went up from $0 to 30 cents higher overnight.
Most stations are out of 87 octane so everyone is having to buy the higher priced fuels. If I owned a station I would only order in 93 octane, but surely nobody is doing this...

While this is likely true, fuel to go in the county storage tanks comes thru the same pipeline as what goes to gas station.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BrentB wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
BrentB wrote:
% of all stations out of gas:
AL 9%
DC 35%
DE 4%
FL 25%
GA 49%
KY 3%
LA 0%
MD 22%
MS 6%
NC 71%
NJ 1%
SC 51%
TN 24%
TX 0%
VA 52%
WV 6%

But at least one state on you map gets no fuel from the pipeline that has issues

This list was created by Gas Buddy. It includes most, but not all of the states included in the Regional Emergency Declaration.

I can understand that. But if a station in a state not supplied by the pipeline does not have gas it is 100% caused by people hording/buying what they might need, not what they need.

dedmiston
This is probably a good time for a reminder that the time to stock up to keep your future options open is when there isn't a crisis.

I live in earthquake & brush fire country and I keep both fuel tanks in my toy hauler full (gen + fuel station), as well as water and emergency food (and liquor).

I don't wait for things to go off the rails to prepare.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
BrentB wrote:
AL 9%
DC 35%
DE 4%
FL 25%
GA 49%
KY 3%
LA 0%
MD 22%
MS 6%
NC 71%
NJ 1%
SC 51%
TN 24%
TX 0%
VA 52%
WV 6%
could have been lower if people could have conserved 20% instead of the actual 40% increase in demand.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
County ambulances likely get fueled from county owned pumps that supply only to county vehicles (police, ambulance, fire, bus and other), so probably no issues.
So, prices went up a little, we will see if they come back down to last weeks prices or if they stay the same. Ga prices were frozen by the governor, yet they still went up from $0 to 30 cents higher overnight.
Most stations are out of 87 octane so everyone is having to buy the higher priced fuels. If I owned a station I would only order in 93 octane, but surely nobody is doing this...

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
BrentB wrote:
AL 9%
DC 35%
DE 4%
FL 25%
GA 49%
KY 3%
LA 0%
MD 22%
MS 6%
NC 71%
NJ 1%
SC 51%
TN 24%
TX 0%
VA 52%
WV 6%

But at least one state on you map gets no fuel from the pipeline that has issues

This list was created by Gas Buddy. It includes most, but not all of the states included in the Regional Emergency Declaration.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
BrentB wrote:
AL 9%
DC 35%
DE 4%
FL 25%
GA 49%
KY 3%
LA 0%
MD 22%
MS 6%
NC 71%
NJ 1%
SC 51%
TN 24%
TX 0%
VA 52%
WV 6%

Grit dog wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Just stop driving already. This too shall pass soon enough.

And you expect people to all share and share alike...
I realize this wasnโ€™t a โ€œreal crisisโ€ like, oh, I donโ€™t know, other recent events whether real or fabricated or somewhere in between.....
But given whatโ€™s happened in the last year or so, Iโ€™d say folks have a right to be on edge.
And if shtf, ever, a lot of good people will be hurt while being nice and trusting. And a lot of โ€œnice peopleโ€ will run your @ss over.
So, in short, idgaf about anyone but me and my family and you shouldnโ€™t either if you have a head on your shoulders.
No tinfoil hat here and no Iโ€™m not waiting for shtf, but if you trust anyone in power, youโ€™re a fool.
First thing Ida done if I was in GA or NC or wherever was get enough fuel to keep my options open.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well as good as it seems that the pipe line is up and running that 72% in NC is basically in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas. Out here in the middle of no where where I live the one station 5 miles away has both gas and diesel and no lines. Gas Buddy is your friend. Grit people like you cause these problems

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
No problem getting diesel today in Tucson AZ.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BrentB
Explorer
Explorer
AL 9%
DC 35%
DE 4%
FL 25%
GA 49%