cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trip Report: Capitol Reef/Bryce/Zion

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
For most of this trip, we were boondocking on BLM land. Not an epic adventure, but a lot of fun after a year of confinement:

Part 1: Capitol Reef

Part 2: Bryce and Zion

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."
10 REPLIES 10

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cal, there has been a noticeable increase in light pollution in So Cal during the last 30 to 40 years -- you can't see the Milky Way in the Antelope Valley any more.

And there is no way my little trailer can roll right over rocks the size of washing machines! That's where a TC beats a trailer, for sure. I'm limited to volleyball size rocks. When we get to basketballs and pumpkins, I am on the sidelines. ๐Ÿ˜‰
About our trailer

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
As usual, great descriptions and photography of a wonderful part of the country.
I'm surprised you don't have the beautiful star-filled skies in SoCal. Must have changed some since I was last there in 1852.
Here's your next rough road -- 'Bobby's Hole' access to the Needles District, Canyonlands.

(that part was actually pretty easy)
Cal

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all of the kind words!

And Kavoom, I would prefer a dual axle trailer -- they are safer in case of a blowout. But they don't make a 12 foot trailer with dual axles! The wheel wells would eat up the storage, I guess.

Having such a small trailer means that we can keep the trailer on our short driveway. And the trailer can easily fit into any campsite that a small truck could get into, so it is great for boondocking in the forest.
About our trailer

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Your trip reports are always fantastic and I've missed them. It's good to see you back on the road again.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
How come you don't have two axles on that? Oh wait, they would extend beyond the ends. Nevermind. Actually very nice efficient unit. In my early days I would have bought it in a heartbeat...

Edit: Oh wait, I just looked at a video on it. We did look at that back when they were new. It was the smallest lightest "full" TT I could find back then. We had a Suby Forester and it was rated at 2400 lbs and this was just a bit too much. We ended up with an 8 box pop up that we had for 13 years. If we had had an Outback I would have done it. I remember the bunk over the dinette bed. Very nice piece of equipment.

Ahh but, we have grown over time with a 28 foot slide bunkhouse and a much bigger tow vehicle.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Nice report.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Another great report with beautiful pictures. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
WE got snow both at the South Rim and Bryce so it isn't over yet.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, lots of folks in the national parks! We got lucky on the weather -- this trip was in early April, and the weather was cool (cold at night), breezy, partly cloudy. Perfect camping and hiking weather, and no rain or snow.
About our trailer

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We just spent 10 days at Bryce/Zion boondocking and drove thru Capitol Reef yesterday. CR was sure crowded for a Tuesday in May. Zion was hot, in the 90's and packed with people. Bryce cooler but still lots of people.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper